U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:10 PM

170 posts, read 533,527 times

Advertisements

Sounds like my life story to a tee...........ha ha. I don't talk to my brother or my mother any more so it makes the holidays much quieter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 09:16 PM

4,589 posts, read 11,975,034 times
pSssshhhh....you guys think you have it bad......try spending every holiday, birthday, anniversary and wedding with a bunch of old school italians......I swear, strait out of the Godfather.....I speak fluent Italian because I need to but when we all get together it's crazy....I've had boyfriends over for christmas and almost all of them were scared away by my uncles.......not so much fun when your 16 and no one wants to date you because they are litterally scared of your family.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:17 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,746,738 times
This year there will be no holidays with my inlaws...we have already decided our lives are too short to continue dealing with the mayhem.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:21 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,393,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
This year there will be no holidays with my inlaws...we have already decided our lives are too short to continue dealing with the mayhem.
I have no family and I used to feel sad and depressed during holidays, but now I am happy to have my Cat and a few good friends.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
pSssshhhh....you guys think you have it bad......try spending every holiday, birthday, anniversary and wedding with a bunch of old school italians......I swear, strait out of the Godfather.....I speak fluent Italian because I need to but when we all get together it's crazy....I've had boyfriends over for christmas and almost all of them were scared away by my uncles.......not so much fun when your 16 and no one wants to date you because they are litterally scared of your family.
I love Mafia stories....!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:23 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,746,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I have no family and I used to feel sad and depressed during holidays, but now I am happy to have my Cat and a few good friends.
I am sorry. If you knew my inlaws you would be happy to spend your holidays alone...no kidding!

Old 09-23-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I am sorry. If you knew my inlaws you would be happy to spend your holidays alone...no kidding!
HEE HA! That is funny. That is why its not really sad for me. I am not a big people person! Now if I had Cats and Dogs as inlaws I would love it!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:19 PM

174 posts, read 400,685 times
I really love my family buuuuuuuuuuuut.... brothers and sisters are all married with kids, kids = presents, presents = lots of money spent foolishly for toys and junk that will eventually be deposited in a giant dump on Staten Island and eventually land on a garbage barge floating aimlessly around the United States.

Since I am a huge proponent of banning the indulgence of children I decided to boycott giftgiving several years ago.

So, my creative way for avoiding the family for holidays is to celebrate New Years in a different city each year. The list includes, Montreal, Hawaii, Atlanta, NYC...the family does express their dissatisfaction at first but they eventually get over it, I think they feel sorry for me because I'm single, teehee... little do they know...

Old 09-23-2008, 08:27 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,439,985 times
lol "the mayhem" .... that always reminds me of my mentally disturbed Aunt and Uncle....it is a good thing they are loners and don't really want to be connected with anyone on the holidays...

Quote:

Old 09-24-2008, 08:21 AM

5,077 posts, read 13,070,890 times
I haven't read all of the responses yet but I'm sure this was already said, so here goes again... take a long (and probably well deserved) vacation over the holidays! I've always wanted to do that...

Just remember, the holidays only come around once a year. I say if you can't get away and you HAVE to be with them, drink and drink a lot LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships