U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 04:17 PM

262 posts, read 400,062 times

Advertisements

In your own words, please.

I've been called "mean" in real life, but I feel like a nice person. I'm polite, have manners, and I do whatever it is nice folks do.

What is a mean person in your opinion..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 04:32 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,891,409 times
Perhaps people confuse you as mean when they really mean unfriendly. And a lot of people aren't actually unfriendly, but reserved. I think some people think shy people are "mean" because they aren't overly gregarious or willing to chit-chat.

I think a mean person is someone who is extremely sarcastic and cranky all the time, without understanding how that affects other people.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:32 PM

12,422 posts, read 14,547,993 times
A mean person is a person who derives pleasure from other peoples misfortune.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:41 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,094,894 times
A mean person has little to no empathy, and does not feel remorse when they hurt someone. They might feel joy at someone else's pain, but just as likely they might just feel...meh.

Here are some things a mean person might say:

That girl dresses ugly, and I just told her the truth.

He has bad acne, so he should know he has a pizza face. (After calling someone a pizza face.)

Old 10-21-2013, 04:54 PM

10,323 posts, read 12,409,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
A mean person is a person who derives pleasure from other peoples misfortune.
This^^^. The person enjoys making people feel beneath them to stroke their ego, Watching other fail and even facilitating this. Some people who are mean may have suffered at the hand or hands of others and look for a sort of balance by repeating the same behavior. Like a form of cosmic revenge, Many become the very thing they hate. They can harbor much anger at the world and lash out due to it. Unresolved issues in life can infest the mind like a cancer and traumatic experiences leave imprints on the brain that have no sense of time.I also think a truly "mean" person feels this way all the time, Alone and behind closed doors. Anotherwords, It's not an act. The anger and malice toward the world become alive, Like another being.

Then their are others who are just mean by nature. I think many times there is a cause though, Somewhere in the past.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:56 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,805 times
I think "mean" is someone who intentionally hurts others and seems to approach everything with unnecessary bitterness or contempt. I don't consider someone who's honest, even if blunt, to be mean, but I have thick enough skin to separate in that way. A lot of people are so sensitive that they're easily hurt by things that are otherwise harmless. That type of person would call you mean whether you are or not.

So maybe people call you mean because they're sensitive to the way you say or do things or, like someone said, maybe you just don't come off as very friendly to them, who knows.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:21 AM

4,892 posts, read 4,208,296 times
Mean is hurtful. very simple. If you hurt people unnecessarily, you are mean. Sometimes in life we have to hurt someone, but it's necessary, like breaking up with someone who you don't love. To be mean would be to break up with the person and then hurt them further, by telling them they are ugly or unlovable, or to flaunt your new lover in their face. Mean is the opposite of kind. Kindness is treating others as you would LIKE to be treated, gently but honestly, and with respect.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:22 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post

I've been called "mean" in real life, but I feel like a nice person. I'm polite, have manners, and I do whatever it is nice folks do.
Some nice people take joking around too far... to the point that they are being mean.
Some nice people take sarcasm to the extreme, also giving the impression of being mean.

Maybe that is what people are seeing in you...

Old 10-22-2013, 08:32 AM

12,597 posts, read 10,725,246 times
I have a fun, sweet friend...yet, I finally said....your meanness is too much for me.
Why do I think she is mean?
Bec she continually says things that hurt people....at her age she must know her
words are hugely hurtful.
Her intention, deliberately in what I see is for nothing but to hurt.
That is pure meanness to me.

Accidentally, expressing yourself and hurting people is almost unavoidable.
But, cruelty that is intentional for whatever reason, usually, immaturity, is "mean".

Just read some other posts...funny how the word "hurt" is in all of them.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:58 AM

6,964 posts, read 5,183,151 times
Brutal Honesty can also be interpreted as being mean, especially if it hurts another's feelings, and doubly so if it is due to a situation outside his or her control; someone gave the acne example, that's a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships