Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 03:39 PM

451 posts, read 769,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Anyhow, OP, you're acting like a petulant three year old. It is NOT your apartment. You do NOT "share" it. If she pays all rent and bills, then it's HER apartment. Get it together. Do the chores - do however many she wants you to do, without having to tell you. Make sure the place is spotless. If you don't like it, then MOVE OUT. Boo hoo, your parents won't let you move out, well, you're 19 and of legal age to move out. If you want to be treated like an adult, get a job, move out on your own, take out loans to pay for your schooling, and take on the responsibility of one day having to pay them back.
Fixed that for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 03:55 PM

84 posts, read 112,626 times
She refused money from my parents though

Old 10-29-2013, 03:59 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokid View Post
She refused money from my parents though
And yet, she's exacting a high price anyway, in terms of allowing you to grow up.

I can't believe this has gone on for so many pages, especially since the overwhelming responses are in agreement, something that doesn't happen often on C-D. You don't want to move out, therefore, you suck it up, and agree to be treated like a juvenile for the next 4 years. She has no impetus to change the rules.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:11 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You are woefully ignorant on this subject.

Do yourself a favor and stop talking - I'm getting embarrassed for you.
Haha, yep, see it every weekend in a nearby college town. The first week of school, all the bus stop benches outside the bars are full of sobbing freshmen girls who have been arrested for using a fake ID to purchase alcohol and are handcuffed to the bench waiting for the police bus to come pick them up and book 'em. Imagine THAT phone call back home: "Umm, Mom, Dad . . . I need to be bailed out of jail for underage drinking and using a fake ID . . ." and classes haven't even STARTED yet!

Old 10-29-2013, 04:23 PM

yet I was off campus at another apartment having my 3 drinks.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:35 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Okay, first of all-- you don't SHARE an apartment. You don't pay rent, therefore the apartment is hers, not yours.

You mentioned you're not working, that means:
1) You should have better than a B average (that's a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale-- that's pathetic). I worked myself through school and made it on the Dean's List...
2) You probably don't contribute to food and utilities-- that means she's paying more than just your rent, you oughta be more thankful. She shouldn't have to ask you to do chores, you should be getting up early in the morning to do whatever needs to be done without asking. Also, since she pays for the phone and TV, she gets to choose if you use it or not.
3) You're only 19-- that fact that you don't work and freeload off your cousin for housing negates many of the adult privileges you perceive you're entitled to.

You don't like the rules? Go get your own place!

Kudos to your cousin for putting her foot down-- you need it.

Oh, and as the eldest of seven, I made it clear to my younger siblings that I wasn't out to win popularity contests when my parents left me with them. Know why? Because if anything happens, oftentimes it's not the young and dumb who are responsible-- it's the older one who "should've known better"-- if anything happens to you, your cousin is gonna be the first one your parents and family call, so you can be sure she wants to make sure her bases are covered.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:41 PM

my parents pay for the cell phone and the food 6/7 nights is student center. Sat. night is usually when I spend a good portion of my weekly $40

Old 10-29-2013, 05:46 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Quote:
my parents pay for the cell phone and the food 6/7 nights is student center. Sat. night is usually when I spend a good portion of my weekly $40
You eat all three meals and snacks at the student center? You don't go into her kitchen for anything?

Old 10-29-2013, 06:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
i'm definitely going to ask her tomorrow. Why can't we be like normal cousins, party on the weekends and play jokes on each other?
Because you aren't 10 anymore.

You are not going to get this, obviously. All your "yeah, but ..." replies prove that.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:09 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Because you aren't 10 anymore.

You are not going to get this, obviously. All your "yeah, but ..." replies prove that.
Mentally, he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships