Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:43 PM

149 posts, read 467,304 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of joking going on with this particular group of friends. Other people can joke around and no one minds, if I tell a similar joke I get eye rolls.

An example, we have an Asian guy in our group. Whenever other people joke about his ethnicity, it's "just friendly banter", but whenever I do it I get called a racist.

This group isn't heavy on scatalogical humor, except for me and two other guys. If they make a fart joke or whatever, it's no big deal...but when I do it the group gets disgusted. They have stopped inviting me out for a while, but they still invited the other two guys out.

Why am I being held to a double-standard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 02:47 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,087 times
It's not your jokes people aren't comfortable with it's you telling them. They must not be comfortable with you.

But I think people in general are too uptight about jokes. You can tell if someone is deliberately trying to be hurtful - that's not OK. Cracking a joke to be funny, to get people to laugh is almost always OK but some people like to get defensive, make an "issue" out of it even if there was no intent to be hurtful.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:50 PM

131 posts, read 160,477 times
They are probably disgusted, because you are overly concerned with sharing your farts.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...ssing-gas.html

Old 10-28-2013, 02:54 PM

149 posts, read 467,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnsleepy View Post
They are probably disgusted, because you are overly concerned with sharing your farts.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...ssing-gas.html
The farting fiasco was very recent, but this joking issue has been going on and off for two years almost.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:02 PM

819 posts, read 3,207,609 times
How about you just stop making racist jokes?

Old 10-28-2013, 03:03 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
There is people who make slightly disgusting or slightly inappropriate jokes, they are funny.

Then there is people who take jokes to a different level and they are too disgusting - going into too much detail, getting very vivid, gross, etc.

You might be one of those people.

Since you like farting in public, I am assuming you don't know your limits.

You remind me a bit of my boss - he tells people to f..ck off and thinks it is funny.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:04 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbacchus View Post
The farting fiasco was very recent, but this joking issue has been going on and off for two years almost.
Two years and you still didn't get it? Your friends are already annoyed by you and you think you are making yourself more popular with farting around? Hmmm. I am not judging, just ... hmmmmm

Old 10-28-2013, 03:09 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbacchus View Post
There's a lot of joking going on with this particular group of friends. Other people can joke around and no one minds, if I tell a similar joke I get eye rolls.

An example, we have an Asian guy in our group. Whenever other people joke about his ethnicity, it's "just friendly banter", but whenever I do it I get called a racist.

This group isn't heavy on scatalogical humor, except for me and two other guys. If they make a fart joke or whatever, it's no big deal...but when I do it the group gets disgusted. They have stopped inviting me out for a while, but they still invited the other two guys out.

Why am I being held to a double-standard?
No double standard... they just don't care for your company as much as they used to.
I'd say it is time to grow up.... or find friends who still like juvenile hi-jinx.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:39 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
You're just not good at telling jokes. Some people are good at it and some just aren't. You're one of the latter so don't bother. I'm no good at it either but I can tell some good stories which are very funny in some circumstances. I have one friend who insists on telling jokes and most of them are so old and bad that everyone rolls their eyes - but he's a sweetheart and gets away with it. You just don't.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:54 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
Maybe they just don't like you.

Find some new people to hang with, if the same problems persists with the new people, then obviously you're the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships