U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 05:28 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,610,382 times

Advertisements

This study claims that women are inherently catty, petty, backstabbing, trash talking and other non-endearing terms when it comes to dealing with their perceived female rivals. Do you agree or disagree with the assumptions made in this study? What has been your experience with this type of female behavior? Is this generally true or just a lot of bs?

Quote:
A new scientific review of nearly 100 evolutionary psychology papers claims that women are hardwired for cattiness.

Mean Girl Behavior Is the Norm, Science Says - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 05:43 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,610,382 times
And did you notice the comment about men? Who would have guessed that they are more aggressive when it comes to defending their turf.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:53 PM

5,590 posts, read 5,115,364 times
OMG, yes. I've never worked any place that did not have women who exhibited these behaviors. I've also seen plenty of Moms model this for their daughters.

I also know plenty of women who act maturely and professionally and kindly to others. But there are also plenty of sheep who will follow the Mean Bee instinctively, even if they would not act this way when left on their own.

Interesting: I have one coworker who is a bit bossy and demanding about the way things are done. I can deal with her. The other gal who just plain says mean or immature things about other people behind their backs---can't stand that.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:33 AM

18,370 posts, read 23,556,449 times
back in the '70's , one of the biggest women's movements was E.R.A. equal rights amendments,,,,-socially, women demanded that in the workplace , they will no longer be looked at as sex objects,,,hence, where all the sexual harrassment laws came from- along with some men- pricks, that did sexually harrass women,,

anyways,,,its gone so far the other way, that if a guy looks at a woman wrong in the workplace he can be accused of sexual harrassment..

what ironic about all this is,,,, from a guys point of view- we go out of our way , filtering everything we say - so as not to offend any woman,,,(to avoid any sexual harrassment accusations)
yet, constantly
i hear women, ripping other women apart, about what they are wearing, and even looks/weight,

if a guy got caught saying alot of this- it can be a law-suit,,,but if another woman says it,,,,,she's just catty..

ive also withnessed many women managers that will be very very blunt with young tarts- especially about dress policies, etc,,,

overall,,, most of the women ive worked with thru the years, have admitted, they'd rather work for a man, than a woman,,

the article is right- men seem oblivious,,,, why waste energy on this crap?? this can be poison in the workplace,,,,,and the shyt-stirrers, usually get theirs in the end,,,,what goes around ...comes around..

Old 10-31-2013, 05:51 AM

43,417 posts, read 41,960,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
back in the '70's , one of the biggest women's movements was E.R.A. equal rights amendments,,,,-socially, women demanded that in the workplace , they will no longer be looked at as sex objects,,,hence, where all the sexual harrassment laws came from- along with some men- pricks, that did sexually harrass women,,

anyways,,,its gone so far the other way, that if a guy looks at a woman wrong in the workplace he can be accused of sexual harrassment..

what ironic about all this is,,,, from a guys point of view- we go out of our way , filtering everything we say - so as not to offend any woman,,,(to avoid any sexual harrassment accusations)
yet, constantly
i hear women, ripping other women apart, about what they are wearing, and even looks/weight,

if a guy got caught saying alot of this- it can be a law-suit,,,but if another woman says it,,,,,she's just catty..

ive also withnessed many women managers that will be very very blunt with young tarts- especially about dress policies, etc,,,

overall,,, most of the women ive worked with thru the years, have admitted, they'd rather work for a man, than a woman,,

the article is right- men seem oblivious,,,, why waste energy on this crap?? this can be poison in the workplace,,,,,and the shyt-stirrers, usually get theirs in the end,,,,what goes around ...comes around..
Um, not exactly. Yours is an inaccurate recollection of the Equal Rights Amendment, which was only 3 states from ratification in 1972.

You are seriously confusing the ERA with modern corporate sexual harassment policies.

All the ERA said was:

Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.
Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.
Section 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification.

That's it. All that other stuff you mentioned was not in the ERA.

I'm guessing you've taken a couple of hits over the years for ogling your co-workers??

In response to the OP, which was about female-female relationships, it looks like the study's author did not actually include evidence.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 10-31-2013 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-31-2013, 06:44 AM

8,004 posts, read 10,052,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
This study claims that women are inherently catty, petty, backstabbing, trash talking and other non-endearing terms when it comes to dealing with their perceived female rivals. Do you agree or disagree with the assumptions made in this study? What has been your experience with this type of female behavior? Is this generally true or just a lot of bs?
Oh good grief, they needed a "study" to draw this conclusion? Anyone who's breathing and thinking and over the age of 12 knows this to be true.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:40 AM

618 posts, read 517,743 times
Quote:
Inherently? Nope. Read the article and read nothing but claims. This stuff is taught.
I think we underestimate how much children learn from modeling - directly or indirectly.

I've worked at three different places that were female dominant locations (school) and I didn't see any of this. One of my bosses was female. I didn't like her but it had nothing to with her biology. I have also belonged to 3 different mommy groups and there was no such rivalry either.

I am not saying I haven't seen any cattiness but seriously, this was in junior high and high school.

Like I said, I am not saying there are not grown women like this but I would not say this is not the norm. Even back in the school days most girls weren't catty. There were a few that made life miserable but it was not the majority of girls.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:01 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,045,946 times
Quote:
This study really isn't saying anything controversial but if you choose to use highly sensationalized words to describe the results, then it does sound very debatable. Basically it says women are more likely to use indirect aggression when they are threatened while men are more likely to use direct aggression. If you just think about that for a minute, it's just common sense.

If you somehow concluded that they are condemning a single gender for bad behavior, then you obviously missed the point.

You could have just as easily said men are hardwired for violence if you wanted to sensationalize both sides.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:13 AM

432 posts, read 751,746 times
It has been my observation that where 3 or more women are gathered together, (at least in a work environment), bad behavior will ensue. I'd love to be able to tell my daughter that the "mean girls" in school will all grow up and that the adult world will not be so difficult, but it would be a lie. Even though they might tone it down a little as adults, some bullies never change. I have a theory that the glass ceiling is actually still in place because of these types of women. It's not men holding women down in the workplace, it's other women tearing each other down. I will also say that I have observed that this type of behavior seems more predominant in lower level employees than in positions requiring more education, but not sure why that might be?

Old 10-31-2013, 04:03 PM

12,886 posts, read 15,451,091 times
Quote:
Some bs, for sure..Liz, (the woman that wrote the article), and Tracy,(the woman professor) might really think so....But I'm with Kim (the psychologist) who figures that the article is really more opinion than review.
Maybe for Liz, it IS like that, cause those are the type of women she's around, and interacts with on a daily basis. Not So, for many others. Some women have enough confidence in who they are not to feel paranoid nor the need to put others down... subtly or otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships