Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 04:32 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Really, I'm curious...because it is not in me to do...not since I fell into a crowd
that seemed to do it when I was 19.
I can't remember the feeling...I think I thought I was clever and cute...funny.
But it was always at someone else's expense....I caught on pretty fast.

I think a lot of people here are 30~60 from comments I've read, not teenagers.
What compels you to mock someone and make fun of them?

I personally am not bothered, how could I be?
I look at the source...an insensitive, unkind individual...unaware of their own
actions, thinking only of themselves, their opinions and status in the eyes of
others like themselves, insecure so feels better then somone when able
to embarrass them publicly...did I get that about right?

Teasing with family and friends can be ok, of course....online it can hurt people.
(Not me)....but others have real problems and get devasted by the mocking and
put downs...I and Dr. John Bradshaw, call it what it is out and out shaming.

Comments....meanness that wants to now be expressed towards me?
It is a curious phenomenon to walk thru life being asleep, while hurting others.
It feels tempting...like wanting to touch all the shiny objects at an art gallery. Then I feel guilty and delete the comment. This view has evolved over time, and the recognizing that there is no shortage of people making statements that are based off venting and rooting for their team, and insisting they are right without explaining why. I try to limit my comments to ones that can provide information that is of assistance now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 04:34 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
I'm an Moderator cut: snip. People deserve it though.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 11-04-2013 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: removed profanity

Old 11-04-2013, 04:38 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
General rule of thumb: If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

And the Internet is a great, big kitchen.

P.S. Come over to Relationships, where you will see that most of the people who get zinged deserve it.
I get zinged. I think most of those zingers and zinged alike are bat sh*t crazy. (That's my new favorite phrase. It's an exaggeration. I just like typing bat sh*t crazy).

There are crazy people...and there are people who think they can read minds, and know without question that everyone whose habits are even slightly unusual has three people trapped in their basement, that they are waiting to "ripen" so their skin can be made into clothing. Those two groups seem to be the majority.

Not starting a thread titled "f*ck you! everyone on the intimate relationships forum" requires immense effort. I don't go there anymore. I'm scared.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:03 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
I do it to feel better when I'm with my good friends usually in retaliation to those that make fun of me.

For instance, this girl always called me fat (when I wasn't) and I made fun of her for having the body of a 12 year-old. Or when she called me an Oreo (black on the outside, white on the inside). I just made fun of the lbs. of fake hair sewn onto her head.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:24 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
What really annoys me is people who just don't "get" sarcasm, or satire in general.

For example I have a thread in the TV forum about "everything I know about Canadians I learned from HGTV" that's totally tongue-in-cheek. I even went out of my way, for the "limited" folks out there, to explain that this is "just for fun" and that of course it's just a generalization of the stereotypes of Canadians I get from HGTV shows.

But, as predicted, someone jumped in to tell me that Canada is a beautiful country and Canadians are wonderful people and I really must visit there before making such judgments.

I'm caught between beating my own head with my shoe, making a snarky comment toward the poster, or just pouring more wine. I'm probably go with option 3.

With some people, you have to type "lol" and add emoticons every few words, to remind then when you're joking. Now that I think about it, I think I had a thread in this forum recently about people not getting sarcasm or maybe it was wry humor. I'm sure I was probably blasted there for being nasty.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:02 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,866 times
I don't use sarcasm because I'm not clever or fast enough enough to be snarky. It's one of my favorite traits in other people, though, because I find snark, a snappy retort, and good-humored cattiness hilarious.

You can't be too sensitive in this world, and it's always good to not take yourself so seriously that you're hurt by every comment that aims to detract from your ego. Do your thing, and accept that everyone isn't going to pat you on the back and tell you how wonderful you are for it.

ETA: I also wanted to say that I totally agree with TracySam. There's a major difference between sarcasm and mocking others/insulting others.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:13 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I don't use sarcasm because I'm not clever or fast enough enough to be snarky. It's one of my favorite traits in other people, though, because I find snark, a snappy retort, and good-humored cattiness hilarious.

You can't be too sensitive in this world, and it's always good to not take yourself so seriously that you're hurt by every comment that aims to detract from your ego. Do your thing, and accept that everyone isn't going to pat you on the back and tell you how wonderful you are for it.

ETA: I also wanted to say that I totally agree with TracySam. There's a major difference between sarcasm and mocking others/insulting others.
I agree with every word in this post. I have sibs, children, nieces and nephews who are so clever with remarks, they keep me ROTFLOL.....there have been a few times they got carried away but not too often. I am not fast thinking enough to join in this kind of repartee. But, I can't stand to hurt or see anyone hurt intentionally.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:57 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,349 times
I love using proper sarcasm and/or deadpan humor. But you have to know how to do it. I never act in such as way as to put people down or make them feel belittled or not smart enough to "get it". Ever. Even if they have it coming.

This is probably one of the reasons I seem to be so well-tolerated no matter where I go.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:23 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I hate sarcasm IRL.

Cheap and lazy form of humor.

I hate this new fad of snark.
It is like people do to have the brains to be intelligently humorous.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:22 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
I disagree. Sarcasm and "snark" take a degree of intelligence, creativity, and quickness of mind. Nothing lazy or unbrainy-like about it.

To me "lazy" humor is scatological humor--fart jokes, etc. and humor that relies on profanity. Those are just too easy and take no real thought at all.

But if sarcasm and snark go over the heads of many, that's a piece of evidence right there that brains are involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships