Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 02:56 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Texting and Driving Statistics

Texting while driving is a growing trend, and a national epidemic, quickly becoming one of the country’s top killers. Drivers assume they can handle texting while driving and remain safe, but the numbers don’t lie.

Texting While Driving Causes:

1. 1,600,000 accidents per year – National Safety Council
2. 330,000 injuries per year – Harvard Center for Risk Analysis Study
3. 11 teen deaths EVERY DAY – Ins. Institute for Hwy Safety Fatality Facts
4. Nearly 25% of ALL car accidents
Wow. The roads must have been pretty safe 20 years ago before texting came to be. Not. Every measure of highway safety is at an all time low. Highway fatality rate has dropped in 14 of the last 16 years.

List of motor vehicle deaths in U.S. by year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 03:13 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Wow. The roads must have been pretty safe 20 years ago before texting came to be. Not. Every measure of highway safety is at an all time low. Highway fatality rate has dropped in 14 of the last 16 years.

That dont mean texting and driving aint dangerous and should not be addressed. Im no saint becuase I check for texts at red lights but there is no excuse for texting when you are moving in your car.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:11 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post

Yes, but as someone who has been involved in this issue, that has a lot to do with safer cars with devices such as air bags and reduced drunk driving due to more rigorous enforcement. Cars are simply much safer than they were twenty years ago. The drivers? Not so much. The fatality rate in vehicle crashes has declined by 30% from 1992 to 2010. That tells me, based on your table, accidents have gone up while fatalities have gone down.

What's more, your numbers don't take into account that the number of vehicle miles driven in the United States have dropped since the peak year of 2007. For example, in 2012, total vehicle miles driven was down roughly 2.5% from 2007, which explains a good deal as well. Also, interestingly, auto crashes go down markedly when gasoline prices go up. 1974, 1982, 1991, and 2008 are excellent examples of that.

But all those arguments, fascinating as they are, are kind of irrelevant. Because the rising role of texting while driving in causing accidents is well-documented. The only people who would argue with that are the ones who would want to justify doing so.

Last edited by cpg35223; 11-19-2013 at 04:27 PM..

Old 11-19-2013, 05:01 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
I can't believe you actually took the effort to notice the number and call the company.
I applaud his doing so. I have gone beyond calling the company - I call the police to report cell phone use. And while I'm sitting on the side of the road calling the police, I send myself a message to report same to the company!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
That dont mean texting and driving aint dangerous and should not be addressed. Im no saint becuase I check for texts at red lights but there is no excuse for texting when you are moving in your car.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships