Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 11:52 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times

Advertisements

i have a different take on company parties- this is one of the very rare ocassions that employees get to socialize, with each other, not be in a work environment- so i think it is very team building-just to have the employees there- once you enter the spouses, all new dynamics, a lot less joking around..

i stopped going to company parties years ago,,,,one of the wives got offended, because she felt left out of a conversation between two male employees, she made a scene, and left- kinda threw cold water on the whole party-everyone felt so bad for him

its almost like going to a class reunion- sometimes you have a much better time without the spouse..

of course it all depends on the workplace and people.... and if the employees socialize during the year-go for a drink after work,,,etc.
some workplaces-everyone seems to hate each other, and they definitely want their spouses their...they know it wont be fun,,,but its a political, must do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 03:29 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Parties like that are often no fun, that isn't the point unfortunately. It is often an office politics thing where you need to just be there and be seen. I'd advise you to go, suck it up for an hour or so and not worry about it again until next year.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:51 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
You don't believe you're the only spouse who doesn't want to attend?

People aren't stupid. They can see through a lame excuse.

You're not that special. Go.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:53 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
It is once a year for a few hours.
Why was it boring?
Did you not talk to anyone?
Perhaps you could go long enough for dinner then take your wife dancing afterwards or for a drink and some alone time before you head home to the kids.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:56 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Don't do it. Be with the kids and I'm sure your wife can squash any inquiries about your absence. You're a grown adult, you shouldn't be forced to do anything you don't want to do. You've already done it last year. I don't bring my s/o to company events I must attend nor do I go to her. I respect her enough to not even want her to come.
You do things for other people even if you are a "grown adult", and they are not always things you would choose to do on your own. She is his wife, and if she wants him to attend, he should.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:03 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
I vote go.
She wants you to go, so you go.

You could try to wiggle out but if she insists.. then you should go.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:23 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,613 times
That's your wife... go and make her happy, or some other guy will.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I vote go.
She wants you to go, so you go.

You could try to wiggle out but if she insists.. then you should go.
Pfft. Do things simply she wants you to do it. Today, company dinner. Tomorrow, threesome with another male.

Besides if saying no to your wife one time ends your marriage, then your marriage had no business happening in the first place.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:43 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,216 times
My husband and I had to attend many company dinners, if he didn't want to go with me, that was fine, same went for him.
In fact, 80% of the dinners did not even include the spouse, we both had to entertain clients/customers in our respective fields.

In this case, it would appear that the wife isn't even interested in attending, if they go, it will be all about the "show". IMO, the bottom line is, if he wants a peaceful holiday season, he should go.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:44 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
You do things for other people even if you are a "grown adult", and they are not always things you would choose to do on your own. She is his wife, and if she wants him to attend, he should.
So if his wife wanted him to jump off a bridge then he should right? She is his wife. Big whoop. You say that like his wife should be able to make him do anything. No if he doesn't want to go then no. This is supposedly a free country. No, you do things for other people because you feel obligation to conform. He is a grown adult so he doesn't have to feel obligated from anyone. Just because you do what society tells you to doesn't mean he should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships