Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 09:46 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times

Advertisements

This isn't rocket science, don't go. I did not enjoy high school at all, I graduated in 1971 and have never been to any of my reunions, what's the point? Just don't go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 10:02 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,177 times
My 50th is being scheduled and I would have to try very hard to be less interested in going. Haven't made one yet and don't wish to break my perfect record of nonattendance. Didn't care for the school or the people in it.

My wife dragged me to her 35th and we left early. That experience cured me of any desire I might ever have had to attend one of mine.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:31 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.garza.108 View Post

Does anyone else have this feeling at all about their class reunions if they have one coming up or is it just me?
The answer is so simple.. Just don't go. I have told people who I do correspond with that I have no desire to go back ever.
You had mentioned getting a Limo and getting wasted with some of your friends before going. Do that and you will people you didn't like a reason to talk about you.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:09 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,906 times
I was only at the high school I graduated from for my senior year, so yeah, I don't really care about it.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:24 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,795 times
Blah. I didn't like being in high school the first time around. Why spend time with people with whom the only things I have in common are age and proximity?

I didn't have a choice then, but I do now. I keep in touch with the people that I like and forget about the rest. No law saying that you have to go.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:30 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,062 times
You are under no obligation to attend and find yourself spending time with people who you neither like nor respect.

Enjoy your evening elsewhere, and if you are asked later about your absence, be truthful and say that
you would not have enjoyed the reunion.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:31 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,731 times
It's a full fledged reunion for 5 yrs? Thats weird. I don't know what small town people do. I actually went to my 5 yr reunion. It was at a bar and it was $20 so it was a reasonable deal. Also not everyone from our class was invited, it was like the main jock clique and the honors clique, I think like 25 people were therre. I actually had fun, we were all barely out of college or some still in and it had a lot of my friends I still saw somewhat frequently. We just all drank and had fun but I like to think of that as the end of my high school clique since everyone has families now and has moved on.

Just don't go if you don't want to, it's not like the captain of the football team will come to ur house and give u a swirlie. I didn't go to my 10th and from what I saw/heard, it was poorly attended, like 40 people out of my class of 500. Those things become peeing contests anyway where people brag about themselves.

I think reunions are an old people thing. I know my mom wouldn't miss hers if a comet was heading toward earth but younger people have Facebook to see whats going on. Older people go by habit and I think class reunions will be thought of as a weird old thing like malt shops in 20 yrs.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:54 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Here we go again.

Easy solution: don't go.
^ This. I didn't go to my 10 year reunion.

Skipping it hasn't affected my life in any way.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:24 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
Odd the OP never responded to anyone but maybe it's legit - anyway, I wouldnt go (in fact never heard of a 5th yr HS anniv). Did go to my 10th and while it wasnt horrible, it was something I didnt care to repeat and I've never gone to another (have had many and used to live w/in a driveable distance of where they were held). The few ppl I wanted to keep in touch w/, I did and there was very little in common. No reason to feel obligated to go, life goes on...

Old 11-17-2013, 08:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.garza.108 View Post
My 5 year high school reunion is next year. I graduated in 2009. I didn't enjoy high school due some problems that I had with my classmates. And there is already talks of a 5 year class reunion next summer. I think that's ridiculous. I honestly don't even care about 95 percent of my class. I know what people are up to through word of mouth and on Facebook anyways. And I'm getting sick and tired of the constant letters and Facebook messages from the reunion organizer (who was only at our school for 3 years and did not graduate with us) about the reunion. Since I refuse to pay money to stand in a haphazardly decorated hotel ballroom, sipping $6 scotch and sodas while Soulja Boy's "Crank That (Soulja Boy)" plays over rented AV equipment.

And as for the messages that the organizer sends me they are the following:

I can ignore these, but recently, my close—and somewhat intelligent—friends started an email thread of their own, urging everyone to attend.

And I'm on the border line of not going as well since when I’m 23 do I really want to be spending a Saturday night recreating prom? NO!

Does anyone else have this feeling at all about their class reunions if they have one coming up or is it just me?
Don't go.

It might be more interesting when it's the 30 year reunion but why bother with people you really don't like and aren't friends with? Often the reunions are really for the kids who were very popular to bask again in their glory.

5 years isn't enough time but later on you might want to stop into one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships