Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:11 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
I did the calculations and for example let's say that you live 1/2 mile from the time you enter a residential street to the time you get home.

At 25 mph the time needed to cover that distance is about 1 minute and 12 seconds

At 15 mph the time needed to cover that distance is about 2 minutes and 1 second.

It's a measly 49 seconds! Not worth it.
Exactly...A non-issue. Slow down, and you'll never have to wish you had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 09:13 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
Tell your kids not to play in the streets. Not worth it.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:47 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
I did the calculations and for example let's say that you live 1/2 mile from the time you enter a residential street to the time you get home.

At 25 mph the time needed to cover that distance is about 1 minute and 12 seconds

At 15 mph the time needed to cover that distance is about 2 minutes and 1 second.

It's a measly 49 seconds! Not worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Once you begin to follow her rules, she will become your dictator.

Of course, people should drive carefully in residential areas-----but the Original Post was about a woman who did not watch her own child but put signs in the middle of the street and harassed the neighbors when they were driving the speed limit.

If that mom is so concerned about her child's safety she should actually watch her child, teach her not to run into the street, take her to a safe place to play (such as the back yard or a park) or petition the city to change the speed limit or all of those things. Not harass her neighbors (the OP said stop their cars, go to their homes, yell at them) who were driving the speed limit and cause traffic hazards by putting signs in the middle of the street.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:24 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
I'm reminded of a situation from a few years ago. I lived on a residential street with sidewalks. Our driveway was in the back of the house, and you had to drive down an alley to get to it. I would roll down this alley, partially because it was so narrow. One day I pulled into the alley, and there was a man with his little girl on a bike. I guess he was teaching her how to ride. I literally went as slow as I could (maybe 10, 15mph?) He looked at me & just kept motioning 'slow down.' I was like....what....really? Would you like me to get out & push the car? He could have tought her how to ride on the sidewalk, on the street, if he was so concerned.

At what point do we stop & say, this is a road, (or an alley), for CARS?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:35 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
How exactly do people expect you to modify your driving when you see the "Baby on Board" signs? Are they assuming you routinely drive wrong, and you'll temporarily correct it for them since they have that sign?
I think it's a reminder that it's not just a hunk of car-shaped metal that you're following, that there are people and important lives inside, and a little consideration for others might be nicer than tailgating so you can get somewhere 3.2 seconds faster.
My point is that people often don't care about anything past the end of their own noses, so the sign is a reminder that there is valuable human life in that car you're following and to be more careful. That's the whole point of the sign, a caution.
So your answer to my question, is YES?

Anyone else?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:55 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
In my community, there is a "thing" where the folks that live here complain endlessly on Facebook about the speed at which people drive in the community. The speed limit is 25. The clicky stay at home moms - who do not have to suffer through traffic & long commutes - have decided that 15 is the max appropriate speed.

I've been driving 25 miles per hour. Today, one of the clicky moms stopped by my house and informed me that I was driving at an inappropriate speed. She quoted 90 miles per hour, which is factually not correct. I drive 25 mph. She said that her kid often bolts into the street without looking, and she wants everyone to drive slow enough to avoid her kid. She also sets up cones and sticks "slow children at play" signs in the middle of the street to slow people down.

I am wondering if I am obligated by society to listen to her. Clearly, driving 25 mph in a 25mph zone is legally permissible. I also want to get along well with neighbors.

I do not like following the directions of others - I have been successful in life because I choose to ignore other people in many situations. I would probably be living with my parents and working at a dead end job if I chose to follow what society thought of me. Instead, I have a successful job at a city distant from my parents, and also have a beautiful family.

Thanks.

No mean comments please - I'm sincerely asking real questions here.
I agree with several folks....it is inconvenient, it is a pain in the butt, the mother should be watching her child better....all of the above. The child may be autistic...there could be many reasons for this Mother's rationale...

But, re-read the OP's bottom paragraph. Justifying themselves....Not one word was in concern for the safety of a child....The bottom paragraph would be hard to live with imo

I would just drive slowly....I always do when there are any signs of children...one ball rolls into the road....one kid is crossing the sidewalk behind my car as I'm pulling out. For me...I could never justify not be extremely careful, right or not.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:27 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Of course, going the speed limit is legal.
I don't think that a neighbor being concerned for the safety of their kid is something to get annoyed about.
Bottom line is that accidentally hitting a child with your vehicle would be tragic. Caution is always the way to go.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:52 AM

26 posts, read 63,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
My response would be in these words; "If you want me to drive no faster than 15 mph, here is the number to the Arlington County Government. You can petition them to change the speed limit on this street if you feel so strongly about it. I am sure they will be thrilled to hear of your illegal measures to control the speed limit on this street. In the meantime, I think your time could be spent more productively teaching your kid NOT to run out into the street, because even if I were to slow down you may have an out of towner who may not make that concession or know any other unofficial rule of this street other than the POSTED speed limit.

In the meantime, I will continue doing the 25mph I am legally allowed to because getting to my place as quickly as possible after work and class is important to me after driving through Washington DC area traffic. Thank you and have a nice day."

Sounds like what a lawyer would say.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:12 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
My point is that people often don't care about anything past the end of their own noses, so the sign is a reminder that there is valuable human life in that car you're following and to be more careful. That's the whole point of the sign, a caution.
How much more valuable is a baby's life than any other human? Does the value of a person's life decrease with age? Is there a graph we can follow to be sure before we decide to hit another car?

Old 03-01-2014, 01:33 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdrops View Post
Sounds like what a lawyer would say.
So two semesters of business law (required for any Business major these days) and I sound like a lawyer? Sue me. That is as diplomatic as I get before going total a-hole on that crazy in the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships