Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 11:07 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times

Advertisements

There are these posters who claim to be ugly or wonder why they can't get a partner. And keep complaining about it.

That makes me really curious to see, if they are naturally unattractive. Or if they are just overweight and/or have a massive beard - are unwilling to make a change, but yet, keep complaining about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 11:36 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Everyone thinks I am some curmudgeonly old man. In reality, I am a curmudgeonly young man.
Earlier today, I learned someone I thought was male is not. I was reading a post and he mentions her husband. LOL I've no clue why I thought she was male. Probably based of something posted.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:54 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
I have no idea how others post me, first they would have to have read my posts to try to get picture of me.

I am considering putting up a photo of myself.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:20 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,329 times
For me, pictures (and gender) sometimes do influence how I perceive someone's posts. And I don't like that. So I am glad that posts don't have pictures.

I've been thinking: why does it matter to me what someone looks like if it's just for talking?

I am starting to think that looks and personality are somehow mixed up together. Otherwise, I just can't explain why it would matter to me. I mean in terms of physical attraction it makes sense of course. But why does it matter otherwise?

My conclusion is: somehow, in our brain, there must be a connection, a link between certain types of looks and personalities which go with those looks. Maybe we met a few people who looked a certain way and then we got to see their personality and maybe that link became permanent in our brain and so now whenever we see that look, it translates (goes together) in our mind, with that personality.

Maybe watching movies influenced that link. We see people acting a certain way, looking a certain way in shows and movies and we make a link between their looks and actions.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:01 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,209 times
I sometimes wonder on the Work and Employment forum if seeing a photo of the poster might explain some of the employment-related problems they post about.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:25 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Earlier today, I learned someone I thought was male is not. I was reading a post and he mentions her husband. LOL I've no clue why I thought she was male. Probably based of something posted.
Depending on the state of residence, there is a chance that it is a male.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:07 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times
I don't really picture people on here in my mind. Some people tell us how attractive or unattractive they are, and of course, those make me wonder.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:17 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Everyone thinks I am some curmudgeonly old man. In reality, I am a curmudgeonly young man.
I hear ya, sometimes curmudgeonliness can afflict the young. Well, I have a profile that dispels any potential mystery, but even in real life people think I'm older than I am.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
At one point, I put my photo on my profile. But then some idiot recognized me. At least I don't have any dirty laundry to air on here, unless it's kvetching about my in-laws.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:24 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
What I do find interesting is completing agreeing with one poster on one forum and completing disagreeing with him on another forum. On one forum you're an ally and on another forum you're a villain.
there are a couple of threads which have poster posting a photo of themselves and many posters post photos of themselves in their profiles.
Some feel at ease by posting pictures of themselves on their profile and posts. I like my anonymity
and I'm hesitant because there are many odd balls out there who can do some strange things once
you post a photo of yourself. Oh, and God forbid if you ever run into a villain.
With some, I like to use my imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships