U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 05:41 PM

6,630 posts, read 7,114,910 times
Again, I repeat, go to your city/town's Center for Independent Living. There are many services offered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 05:54 PM

12,353 posts, read 9,104,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvgirl1 View Post
thing wrong. I am so upset because I have had cable tv and have been watching tv for years just fine and then all of a sudden my parents are saying I cant watch anything except for educational stuff and wont let me watch anything else. They never seemed to care before but now all of a suddent they do and I didnt do anything. Whn I asked why they wouldnt really answer.
Your parents are doing you a favor. Considering your mental disability, they probably figured that the whatever television programs you were watching were not helping you. Allowing you to watch educational programs only suggests to me that they want you to learn something.

[tv is junk anyway so this is a blessing]

Old 11-16-2013, 05:58 PM

24,522 posts, read 14,266,105 times
So, the bottom line is - she has no interest in getting a job, nor does she want assistance to get a place to live, essentially, she's just complaining and hopes someone will toss some attention her way. My neighbors were both deaf and both had really nice jobs they enjoyed.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:10 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,736,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I think people are being rather harsh here. It's not so easy to just go get a job when you are deaf (or partially deaf) and with other mental disabilities, something that was not even elaborated on so you don't know what it is.

Yes, she should seek disability and work with organizations to help encourage schooling and job placement, but no real need for name calling here, geez.
I'm deaf with a cochlear implant and I worked my whole life .. useing deafness as an excuse to not work is a cop-out.. ... and many of the programs that are there for this young woman were NOT there for me due to the time period and such but I still got a job and worked and didnt whine and play poor me .. I got off my duff and got a job .. DON'T MOLLY CODDLE and the disabled person will reach higher and make an effort .. making excuses isnt acceptable .. Helen Keller comes to mind .. a noted American author, political activist, and lecturer... and she was blind as well as deaf !!.. so lets not get all aww po'bebe here and feel bad for TVGIRL.. .. ... she is able to do alot more than she thinks she can .. she just has to get up and do it .. I am sure her parents are trying to encourage that effort ..

Old 11-16-2013, 06:15 PM

2,259 posts, read 1,324,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
I'm deaf with a cochlear implant and I worked my whole life .. useing deafness as an excuse to not work is a cop-out.. ... and many of the programs that are there for this young woman were NOT there for me due to the time period and such but I still got a job and worked and didnt whine and play poor me .. I got off my duff and got a job .. DON'T MOLLY CODDLE and the disabled person will reach higher and make an effort .. making excuses isnt acceptable .. Helen Keller comes to mind .. a noted American author, political activist, and lecturer... and she was blind as well as deaf !!.. so lets not get all aww po'bebe here and feel bad for TVGIRL.. .. ... she is able to do alot more than she thinks she can .. she just has to get up and do it .. I am sure her parents are trying to encourage that effort ..
Yes, she can work and get a job. But does she need to be insulted? Why not direct someone to appropriate services? Okay, you have a cochlear implant. I do too. And I've always worked. Doesn't mean we need to insult people?

I've never heard of someone calling themselves retarded either though, so yes this is probably troll, but anyways...

Old 11-16-2013, 07:44 PM

16,455 posts, read 11,491,101 times
Ok, so you are on SSDI. Apply to any low-income section 8 apartments in your area and when there is a place they will contact you back and you will have you own apartment. No matter how little money you make you pay 30% of your income. You may be eligible for food stamps as well. Do you plan on living with your parents the rest of your life? There is no reason why you cannot live on your own. If you are mentally challenged you will either qualify for in-home care where someone comes out so many hours a week and helps you, or if you are impaired enough there are group homes you can live in.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:10 PM

2,118 posts, read 826,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
They are trying to politely evict you.
LOL, the hand writing is on the wall buddy. just go graciously and don't have them spell it out for you, yeah its that time man.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:11 PM

7,075 posts, read 9,000,087 times
What is with all the troll posts? A mentally challenged person would not call themselves restarted.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:25 PM

2,118 posts, read 826,856 times
also, who knows and loves you better than your parents? so if they are letting you know its time to be on your own then surely this is something they know that you can handle. your parents are not going to be around forever you know, so please don't use mentally challenged as an excuse to not living a life independent 0f your parents.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:30 PM

5,199 posts, read 4,337,168 times
No Awkward? GASP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships