U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2013, 02:36 PM
 
7 posts, read 14,658 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

thing wrong. I am so upset because I have had cable tv and have been watching tv for years just fine and then all of a sudden my parents are saying I cant watch anything except for educational stuff and wont let me watch anything else. They never seemed to care before but now all of a suddent they do and I didnt do anything. Whn I asked why they wouldnt really answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2013, 03:34 PM
 
4,787 posts, read 9,297,319 times
Reputation: 12632
How old are you ?

If you're over 18, move out, support yourself and then pay for your own cable.

If you're under 18, their house, their rules and their cable.

What do you mean " they really wouldn't answer". Evidently they answered something or you didn't like their answer. If you're under 18, this may be something you can negotiate with them. Are you up all night watching TV rather than studying? Are your grades dropping for some reason?. Is your only TV interest shows that your parents feel are not suitable for minors.?

Discuss with them to see if you can watch the major prime time channels up until a certain hour if all your school work is done first. Make up a list of shows you like to watch and then show it to them and see if you can figure out their objections. Maybe they will negotiate on some and not back down on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2013, 05:51 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
2,657 posts, read 7,184,707 times
Reputation: 4297
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvgirl1 View Post
all of a sudden my parents are saying I cant watch anything except for educational stuff and wont let me watch anything else.
Really? You can find educational programs on TV?

I've long since given up on TLC/A&E/Discovery/Nat Geo and the like because those channels have turned into so much reality tv crap.

Back to the subject ... it sounds like you're young. One can assume that you are communicating with your folks in a way that is combative. It's typical. Try asking them in way that shows you want to understand and work this situation out, not make it into a battle of wills.

"Mom/Dad, I'd like to understand what it so objectionable about my tv viewing. Is it the time I spend in front of the tv, the shows I watch?"

Find out the "why" then see if an understanding can be reached or negotiate. Odds are they think you're watching too much "Teen Mom" or are spending too much time in front of the tv when more constructive activities could be taking place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2013, 08:43 AM
 
7 posts, read 14,658 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Really? You can find educational programs on TV?

I've long since given up on TLC/A&E/Discovery/Nat Geo and the like because those channels have turned into so much reality tv crap.

Back to the subject ... it sounds like you're young. One can assume that you are communicating with your folks in a way that is combative. It's typical. Try asking them in way that shows you want to understand and work this situation out, not make it into a battle of wills.

"Mom/Dad, I'd like to understand what it so objectionable about my tv viewing. Is it the time I spend in front of the tv, the shows I watch?"

Find out the "why" then see if an understanding can be reached or negotiate. Odds are they think you're watching too much "Teen Mom" or are spending too much time in front of the tv when more constructive activities could be taking place.
I did ask them in a way that shows I just want to understand the situation and they wouldn't discuss it with me
And I am not a child, I am 26 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2013, 08:58 AM
 
25,953 posts, read 26,761,579 times
Reputation: 26716
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvgirl1 View Post
I did ask them in a way that shows I just want to understand the situation and they wouldn't discuss it with me
And I am not a child, I am 26 years old.
If you are for real, you need to get real. You have no room to complain whatsoever. It is difficult to talk about this with you because if you are 26 or 32 you need to stop with the whining and get off your ass and get a job and your own place. Their place - their rules. Could it also be they are trying to push her out of her parent's house?

I moved out of the house on my 18th birthday and never went back. So, if you are what you say you are you are either lazy as hell or you don't know what to do about supporting yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2013, 09:06 AM
 
3,072 posts, read 4,276,420 times
Reputation: 6512
They are trying to politely evict you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2013, 09:26 AM
 
13,040 posts, read 15,388,719 times
Reputation: 15287
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvgirl1 View Post
I did ask them in a way that shows I just want to understand the situation and they wouldn't discuss it with me
And I am not a child, I am 26 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2013, 09:36 AM
 
25,953 posts, read 26,761,579 times
Reputation: 26716
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
They are trying to politely evict you.
My money is on that above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2013, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Sunny Florida
7,136 posts, read 11,011,591 times
Reputation: 9460
You are 26 and living at home. I think your parents are trying to give you a hint that it's time to leave the nest and find a place of your own. They're trying to do this gently, but if this doesn't work expect more restrictions to follow until you get the hint. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2013, 10:17 AM
 
7 posts, read 14,658 times
Reputation: 18
I can't get a job and move out because I have ahearing and mental disability and noone will hire me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top