Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 08:03 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,668,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
"I haven't been rude at all. I've just never spoke to them".....LOL

Actually you were quite rude when you couldn't be bothered to take a few minutes and come to the door and just introduce yourself.

Per your post you're outside when they are, but you can't be bothered to wave or just say hello.

While he is a jerk, you could have nipped this in the bud.

Years ago I worked with a woman who wouldn't even speak to coworkers unless she had to, you would pass her in the hallway and if you said "hello" she would ignore you.

Well her car died on her, and even though there were coworkers who lived near by no one offered to give her a ride back and forth to work...LOL.

Sometimes making a little effort goes a long way.

Again you don't have to become friends, but just showing some basic social skills can go along way. Ever think you might want to go on vacation and have someone keep an eye on the house for you? When you can't be bothered to even say hello do you most people are going to report or chase away someone who might be up to no good on your property?
Not really because if you actually read my OP I said that my GF said I was busy. I never saw them period. We were moving in and arranging stuff. At that exact moment, I was putting up a chandelier so my GF told them I was busy. I didn't say anything to them. Thankfully so because I'm sitting on the ladder mounting a heavy chandelier and you want me to say hello to the neighbors? That isn't rudeness. When I'm outside I usually don't notice them but when I do. I mind my own business and continue doing what I'm doing. I'm outside for a reason. I don't have to be friends? Thank goodness I have your permission. I totally wouldn't have done it without it. /sarcasm

Look I don't need protection from the neighbors when the house is vacant. I don't need people to chase away. If I can't protect my own house then the perpetrators deserve to pillage the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Do people have driveways or parking pads in this neighborhood? What is normally parked in front of his house that precludes the farm vehicle from being put there?
Absolutely nothing. He has nothing in front. Though his street space is little shorter than mine due to my house having more space than his. We have long driveways to the rear. I don't need to use the street space because my garage is bigger than others. The previous owner actually extended the garage's length and height and added a smaller shed space. That's considered a hobby area so I get taxed extra on it. I don't need the street space but I don't want his junk sitting there nor do I want my nice cars sitting on the street. It's a small cul-de-sac and my house is on the right side of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
We have a similar situation here with parking being tight. Most of the time there is a car parked in front of our house which can be annoying if you want to drop something off and leave again. It is what it is. First come first served. I wouldn't stress about having to look at a junk car in front of our house. Sooner or later the car will die and go to bone yard heaven. Then I would have wasted all that negative energy being unhappy when I could find countless other things to be a curmudgeon about and make myself even more miserable, antisocial and mean. I prefer to live and let live. Life is nicer with that attitude.
I prefer to live and let live as well but I don't want the look of my property ruined by someone's junk. Sooner or later? Clearly you're unfamiliar with diesel trucks. There aren't too many things to be negative about in my life thankfully. Life sucks and then you die. Someone forgot to tell you this.

It's ok though I'll just use the bird feeder trick. The previous neighbor also used this to keep that guy from parking his truck when his truck kept being crapped on by the birds feeding right above it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 10:49 AM

18,748 posts, read 11,713,168 times
I prefer to live and let live as well but I don't want the look of my property ruined by someone's junk. Sooner or later? Clearly you're unfamiliar with diesel trucks. There aren't too many things to be negative about in my life thankfully. Life sucks and then you die. Someone forgot to tell you this.

Oh heck no, I've known it for years. But I prefer tohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrdEMERq8MA

Old 11-18-2013, 11:48 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,000,613 times
Your neighbor is doing the same things most neighbors do when they get home: They don't want to turn around and park. They'd rather park and turn around when they go out. My neighbors across the street tend to park the wrong way because they don't want to turn around when they come home. It's not legal to park the wrong way but no one ever gets ticketed for it around here.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Your neighbor is doing the same things most neighbors do when they get home: They don't want to turn around and park. They'd rather park and turn around when they go out. My neighbors across the street tend to park the wrong way because they don't want to turn around when they come home. It's not legal to park the wrong way but no one ever gets ticketed for it around here.
It's illegal to park against traffic here so that's one contributing reason to park in front of my house but I couldn't careless about his reasons. That POS truck is annoying to look at and I have to take extra precautions to not hit it when pulling out of my driveway. I've been looking at bird feeders on the internet today. This will end soon hopefully.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:39 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,044,935 times
I live on a cul de sac, and across from my house, there are no houses facing ours, just the backs of the houses that are on the next street over. Unfortunately, the owner of one of those homes uses the cul de sac as his personal parking lot for his ugly 4-wheeler trailer. They always have to park it almost directly across from our driveway, making it difficult to back out. I told my husband I'm going to start parking my car there the next time he moves it, but unfortunately it almost never gets moved.

Now, our neighbor's daughter has started parking right smack in front of our house, where my husband usually parks his truck (since I park in the driveway & there are some mornings when I leave before him). Apparently, when she visits she doesn't want to park in her father's driveway because acorns from their tree fall on & mark up her new Audi...huh??

Old 11-18-2013, 04:20 PM

3,011 posts, read 6,281,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I agree it would be annoying and I think he is a jerk for doing that.

However, you caused some of this. Would it have killed you to come to the door and introduce yourself?

Or wave if you're outside? You see, you can be friendly without being friends.

I totally understand not wanting to socialize and get chummy, what I don't get is not taking a few minutes to just introduce yourself and say hello or wave when you're both outside.

I really think if you handled this differently from the start you wouldn't be having this issue now.

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:28 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,563,668 times
Some people in my neighborhood were pissed about a motor home on the street, and they got together and got some kind of parking restriction enacted that prohibits certain types of vehicles from being parked on our street (including motor homes, anything with a trailer, boats, etc). They had to get signatures from other neighbors to do it, and it took them a while, but eventually they got it done. You could see if your county or city has a similar process.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:11 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,770,037 times
As an amature behaviorist Id have some fun and start funkin with him. The reward would be when he gets home the parking space is open. Maybe give it to him Mon and Tues one week and park your vehicle there the rest of the week. Do it randomly so he never knows when he gets home if hes going to have his precious spot waiting for him. Make sure most nights you are parked there. Maybe give him several days in a row and then take the space and when he pulls up make sure your outside laughing your arse off, give him a little holler to park his POS in front of his own yard

I like the bird bath idea except you are attracting all this nasty bird crap because of him and that means he wins. Don't let him control the situation. You need to take control of the situation by deciding when he gets the parking space (or more importantly when he doesn't)

Get crafty, have fun

Old 11-18-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
As an amature behaviorist Id have some fun and start funkin with him. The reward would be when he gets home the parking space is open. Maybe give it to him Mon and Tues one week and park your vehicle there the rest of the week. Do it randomly so he never knows when he gets home if hes going to have his precious spot waiting for him. Make sure most nights you are parked there. Maybe give him several days in a row and then take the space and when he pulls up make sure your outside laughing your arse off, give him a little holler to park his POS in front of his own yard

I like the bird bath idea except you are attracting all this nasty bird crap because of him and that means he wins. Don't let him control the situation. You need to take control of the situation by deciding when he gets the parking space (or more importantly when he doesn't)

Get crafty, have fun
You're doing too much. I don't win by giving him days to park because he gets to park plus I'm spending too much time to just park a space. Right now, my car is parked out there and I don't have to worry about it. I have control nor have I invested any significant time in it. That's truly a victory.
He doesn't win by me using the bird feeder idea. The crap ceases when the birds aren't fed. His truck also gets crapped on. I could also use the broken glass method.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:59 PM

41,728 posts, read 74,675,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I've never lived in a burb that allows on street parking. Nothing looks junkier than cars parked on the street.
You need to get out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I don't need the street space but I don't want his junk sitting there nor do I want my nice cars sitting on the street.
LOL, how self-absorbed can one person be? You don't need the public parking space, but you don't want anyone else to use it, either. Nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships