Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 12:08 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,471,538 times

Advertisements

Is this serious or trolling? People that worry about such things are homophobic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 02:14 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Is this serious or trolling? People that worry about such things are homophobic.
Either trollish or homophobic. More likely the former.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:32 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,213,292 times
Do what feels right for you

However, I don't understand how you would let someone else frame your feeling, context or sexuality .... especially when it comes to family

I'm not a huge hug person - but I care about a good number of people who are. When I see them we typically will hug at some point - gender is irrelevant.

The least manly thing someone can do is be so insecure about themselves and their own identity that they would let someone else frame who they are based on idiotic stereotypes or perceptions

The hugging doesn't make you gay - it doesn't even reduce your manliness.

However, the insecurity that comes from this question or the insecurity/ignorance by those who would have a problem with you hugging your brother definitely reduces theirs ......... although even then it wouldn't make them gay

In fact, I've even hugged gay men before - that didn't make either of us gay though ............. I have zero sexual interest or attraction to them, but they are still people I care about given a lifetime of interaction and I really don't get to see them that much

Even my ultra macho, drink beer, build your own boat, machine shop garage, fly tying, duck decoy crafting, woods sleeping, beard wearing, neo-conservative leaning, catholic college roomate even initiated a hug when I saw him this summer for the first time in years

Old 11-23-2013, 05:59 PM

143 posts, read 246,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JammBoy View Post
My brothers and I were never the hugging type. However, my middle brother had a very serious car crash and thanks to a misunderstanding, the first news we got was that he had died. In the end it was just a confusion and he was okay, even though he had a few injuries.

My elder brother and I hugged him the first time we saw him after the crash and have kept the habit.

Is it acceptable? We just try not to do it in public or in front of our grandfather who doesn't find it too funny.
Is it just me? I feel like only an American would ask this. You're not going to hear 2 Dutch brothers or Italian brothers or Cambodian brothers or Peruvian brothers, etc. asking this question

Old 11-23-2013, 10:16 PM

17 posts, read 37,456 times
No. That's some pretty fallible logic. That's like saying is it incestuous for a brother to hug his sister.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:37 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
I don't know if it's gay or not, but the fact that you don't hug your brothers because your grandpa would get cranky kind of means you've basically emasculated yourself. Who cares what upsets some warped old man who apparently can't deal with normal human behaviors?

Grow up. Express your emotions the way you want to as long as you're not destroying property or scaring the horses, and let your stunted grandpa stew in his own disapproval.

Are you a man or a little boy who lets himself be ruled by the opinions of others?

Old 11-23-2013, 10:42 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JammBoy View Post
My brothers and I were never the hugging type. However, my middle brother had a very serious car crash and thanks to a misunderstanding, the first news we got was that he had died. In the end it was just a confusion and he was okay, even though he had a few injuries.

My elder brother and I hugged him the first time we saw him after the crash and have kept the habit.

Is it acceptable? We just try not to do it in public or in front of our grandfather who doesn't find it too funny.
Good grief, if you want to hug your brothers or friends or Uncles, nephews, cousins or the mailman hug them and quit worrying what others think about you.

No one cares if you are gay or not unless you are gay and it bothers you.
My husband is one of 5 brothers and they hug each other when arriving and leaving a gathering and they don't care what anyone thinks about it.
They have been doing that all of their lives and the youngest brother is 57 and the oldest brother is 68.

Tell Grandpa and the public to mind their business, just because grandpa isn't "comfortable" with it does not mean you should stop hugging your brothers whom you love. Grandpa needs to lighten up

Old 11-24-2013, 04:14 AM

25 posts, read 30,004 times
Please tell me you're not being serious? Please?

Old 11-24-2013, 04:42 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,697,759 times
Are you serious? Hug freely guys

Old 11-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Pov

46 posts, read 78,306 times
No it's not .Count yourself lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships