Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,292 times

Advertisements

I just don't get the whole Christmas Shopping deal. Most of my friends and neighbors tell me they are spending close to a $1000 on Christmas gifts but they tell me how terrible their financial situation is, how much they owe on their credit cards and how close they are to be laid off from their jobs.

I ask them why they are spending so much money on gifts to others when their personal financial situation is so challenging, they shrug. When pressed many tell me because it is expected.

They say that the average American is living paycheck to paycheck and has about $6000 in credit card debt they are paying 18% interest on. If this is the case why are the malls so crowed with Christmas shoppers. It's not logical.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:02 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
No idea.

What little shopping I will do, 90% will be online. I will pay my bills in full (as I always do) and spend within my means.

I figure I have about 5 people to shop for - immediate family. Everyone else gets a card and maybe a visit.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:10 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,292 times
Buy it at the mall or online, no difference, you are still spending the money you can't afford.

Can't your relationships with friends and family be based on examples of true friendship and love instead of a sweater from Sears?

I don't buy anyone Christmas gifts but give them a lot more throughout the year in true giving and friendship.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:19 AM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
If this is the case why are the malls so crowed with Christmas shoppers.
I was in two malls recently. One close to home; one 35 miles away. Both were like ghost towns....
I LIKED it. NO lines, plenty of customer help!

Old 11-25-2013, 08:21 AM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:

I don't buy anyone Christmas gifts but give them a lot more throughout the year in true giving and friendship.
Some people are able to do both... give gifts AND "a lot more throughout the year in true giving and friendship."

Some people have financial troubles, many people do not.
Many people, myself included, have a "Christmas Club", where you save all year and get a check every October. I charge all my Christmas purchases, then deposit the check and pay off the credit card.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:22 AM

582 posts, read 778,853 times
Because there are a lot of very stupid people that are willing to pay 100 - 300% more for an item to have it today then to save up and purchase it with cash. There is a comedian that does a routine about "heres your sign" One of the criteria should be putting $1000 on a credit card.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:52 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Quote:
That kind of attitude will get you banished from the table or home. Last year was an absolute disaster and comprised in many a surprise. My brother made some horrid accusations to me about me and I said, "Gee 2 whole days (Thanksgiving and Christmas) and you get your panties in a wad. Well, I've been dealing with this crap for 13 years. Where the hell were you the other 363 days of the year?" Bam, went the door in my ass.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:23 AM

373 posts, read 589,313 times
Quote:
I just don't get the whole Christmas Shopping deal. Most of my friends and neighbors tell me they are spending close to a $1000 on Christmas gifts but they tell me how terrible their financial situation is, how much they owe on their credit cards and how close they are to be laid off from their jobs.

I ask them why they are spending so much money on gifts to others when their personal financial situation is so challenging, they shrug. When pressed many tell me because it is expected.

They say that the average American is living paycheck to paycheck and has about $6000 in credit card debt they are paying 18% interest on. If this is the case why are the malls so crowed with Christmas shoppers. It's not logical.

The credit bubble that busted in 2007-2008 is well on its way to a repeat performance. How and when it pans out - my guess will be the 2016 election year. Very good way to get people to vote democrat. Just cut off their credit. Easy to do with "nationalized" banks.

What I find interesting, is this constant prodding to buy the most expensive stuff - totally unnecessary stuff, like every time you turn on the TV. Given the economy these days, it reminds me of the welfare mom who lived two doors from my grandmother. We took over canned goods and hand me downs (for her 6 kids walking around in rags) and lo and behold, she had a $1200 copper french pot and pan set (this was 1965) hanging in the kitchen, which she proudly told my mom that it was something she always wanted. It was not given to her...she bought it. That was the last time we took donations to that house.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:30 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
I wonder about the same. I live in a lower class area, where people have LOTS of kids and struggle with their low income. However, the stores are packed right now, people shop like crazy and I wonder how they can afford it.

I think lots of people put it on their CC and hope the tax return will be big enough to cover it.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:36 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
They probably put it on credit cards and carry a lot of debt. And how do you know what their interpersonal relationships are like?

I have to ask, OP, what difference does it make to you? Just something to kvetch about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships