U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-29-2013, 06:05 PM
 
Location: CO/UT/AZ/NM Catch me if you can!
4,689 posts, read 4,311,209 times
Reputation: 10252

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Does it seem like people are more negative than ever before?. I mean there are people who no matter what is going on finds something negative to say about it. There could be a rainbow with a pot of gold at the end of it and there would be somebody saying that there isnt enough gold in the pot.

I know people like this and I try to keep my distance from them. Anyone else know people like this?
I have a friend whose husband is like that. I don't see how she stands him. Every word out of his mouth is pessimistic or cynical or sarcastic or all three. I guess he thinks he's being funny or something. He's not. I avoid him when I can, but sometimes he's there when I go see my friend, so I get treated to yet another dose of hubby's black out-look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2013, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Metro Birmingham, AL
1,673 posts, read 2,342,970 times
Reputation: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
I totally agree with this. And yes,people do seem more bitter and negative overall than in times past. Sign of the times?
Sign of the times? I hope not. Ive noticed that most people negativity and bitterness usually revolves around money and relationships. Its like if you won 25 million dollars and I constantly bring up things like oh the taxes on those winning will take half, or you will be broke in 5 years, instead of just wishing you the best.

Or

You are dating the very attractive guy or lady and im telling you that this person is a drunk, murderer, etc. Instead of just saying hey thats cool, hope things work out between you two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2013, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Tucson for awhile longer
8,872 posts, read 13,465,719 times
Reputation: 29026
I don't worry about the people who just complain all the time. Many of them do have difficult lives or at least not the life they wish they had. Complaining is there way of processing their unhappiness. Ignore them if they bother you. What I worry about are people who are extremely discontent and instead of talking about it, they ACT on their negativity. Angry spouses who blame the person they live with for everything that goes wrong and feel justified in punishing them. People who feel the need to designate a particular group that is the CAUSE of all the wrongs in the world and blame them. Paranoid people who stockpile weapons. Survivalists who are convinced the world is about to end. Conspiracy theorists who think they need to discover who caused the problems and punish them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2013, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Metro Birmingham, AL
1,673 posts, read 2,342,970 times
Reputation: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I have a friend whose husband is like that. I don't see how she stands him. Every word out of his mouth is pessimistic or cynical or sarcastic or all three. I guess he thinks he's being funny or something. He's not. I avoid him when I can, but sometimes he's there when I go see my friend, so I get treated to yet another dose of hubby's black out-look.
Does your friend know her husband is like this? If so, where does it come from? Its funny people like that cant take a hint and realize that people dont want to be around them when everything that come out of their mouth is never good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2013, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Metro Birmingham, AL
1,673 posts, read 2,342,970 times
Reputation: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I don't worry about the people who just complain all the time. Many of them do have difficult lives or at least not the life they wish they had. Complaining is there way of processing their unhappiness. Ignore them if they bother you. What I worry about are people who are extremely discontent and instead of talking about it, they ACT on their negativity. Angry spouses who blame the person they live with for everything that goes wrong and feel justified in punishing them. People who feel the need to designate a particular group that is the CAUSE of all the wrongs in the world and blame them. Paranoid people who stockpile weapons. Survivalists who are convinced the world is about to end. Conspiracy theorists who think they need to discover who caused the problems and punish them.
As I said earlier. I lend an ear to people who complain and gripe because we all do at some point in our lives. Also I understand people struggle in their lives, and want better so I do try to tell them what they can do to improve their situation because I could be in that same boat one day myself. Im mostly talking about the people who cry with a loaf of bread under their arms, but yet find a reason to constantly be negative about everything, no matter what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2013, 02:56 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
11,123 posts, read 20,225,810 times
Reputation: 26297
Sometimes I am very negative, probably due to chronic pain and depression from that pain. I try to avoid my friends when I'm feeling that way, but sometimes the mood will last for six months or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2013, 03:51 AM
 
537 posts, read 986,967 times
Reputation: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Does it seem like people are more negative than ever before?. I mean there are people who no matter what is going on finds something negative to say about it. There could be a rainbow with a pot of gold at the end of it and there would be somebody saying that there isnt enough gold in the pot.

I know people like this and I try to keep my distance from them. Anyone else know people like this?
I think people thrive on a certain amount of negativity and honestly, they should. Life is just as horrible as it is beautiful, and I tend to be more wary of people who are blindly positive about everything.

When I'm feeling negative, I do the same as Hedgehog_Mom. I leave people alone and just go through my own process without affecting everyone else. Not everyone does this, because, well misery loves company. people want others to coddle them and feel sorry for them. When a friend complains to me, it's easy to give into their emotions but being a good friend means quietly sitting while someone complains, no matter how much or often they have to do it. I don't respond. I don't tell them what they should do. I just let them know I'm here for them. And guess what? The subject changes almost immediately, because they've said all they could, and I'm not contributing to their negativity, just balancing it with my understanding.

Life really sucks sometimes, and it's important to communicate that with other people. I don't know what I would do without my best friend. He and I have spent HOURS being negative, and it is some of the most constructive negativity, because I feel lighter and like I can accomplish anything afterward. A friend who would ignore me because I'm being negative isn't really a friend. A friend who is there for me and honest when I'm being too negative? I'll keep them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2013, 04:43 AM
 
Location: Utica, NY
1,912 posts, read 2,529,637 times
Reputation: 3199
Then people wonder why Bob decided one day to just hang himself.

Nobody wanted to listen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2013, 05:11 AM
 
10,193 posts, read 9,289,827 times
Reputation: 15802
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What do I do about them? I stay away from them.
This! ^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2013, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Penna
726 posts, read 1,004,404 times
Reputation: 1259
I went through a "time" like that. Then realized it only served to make me miserable. Prolonged negative seeing/thinking is not helpful of healthy.

I think for some people it is a habit though. It is what they know and have never looked beyond that. I stay away from those sorts, although in truth I keep to myself and my cats, who rarely complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top