Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 06:36 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
The original post may be 5 years old but people’s perspectives and advice still apply. In fact maybe more so, as people have become more negative in the past 5 years.
Uh, I said it because the one who bumped the thread was speaking to a long gone poster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 07:20 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
This group may find this interesting...on Shark Tank there is an entrepeneur starting up a dating site
matching people with their 'Dislikes'...hahahah

Seems he says that people bond more over what they 'hate'.

I believe he is correct!!!

Old 07-22-2018, 02:38 PM

18 posts, read 18,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Does it seem like people are more negative than ever before?. I mean there are people who no matter what is going on finds something negative to say about it. There could be a rainbow with a pot of gold at the end of it and there would be somebody saying that there isnt enough gold in the pot.

I know people like this and I try to keep my distance from them. Anyone else know people like this?

My dad is just like that. Every time I try to take a little risk in life, if it doesn't work out 100%, he'll say, "I told you so!" ... whether he really did tell me so or not. God I hate that so much. Always cup half-empty about absolutely everything.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:29 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
I realize the poster is long gone, but this is incredibly easy.

These people want to destroy the happiness and ambition of others. It's okay to point out the flaws in a plan if really pressed for your opinion, but a constant barrage of carping has a corrosive effect on others.

So you minimize your time with them. There. That'll be $5.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:17 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Sometimes I am very negative, probably due to chronic pain and depression from that pain. I try to avoid my friends when I'm feeling that way, but sometimes the mood will last for six months or so.
Me too, HM....

Old 07-25-2018, 03:30 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
Practice avoidance maneuvers or limit time with chronic complainers

Redirect conversations when I can't avoid

Time limit griping to the first 10 minutes a conversation

Sometimes normally upbeat or even keel people are going through rough patches when everything looks bleak. If that's the case try to give them some time and hear them out though it isn't pleasant.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:47 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times
I try to avoid them or limit my interactions with them. It's one thing to complain and fix the problem they are complaining about.

If they keep complaining about the same issue without making an effort to solve the problem, those the people I avoid. Also, people who complain about what others have done to them long ago. GET OVER IT. Move on.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:25 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Depends on the type of complaining lol. This is how my best friend and I became friends, finding humor by complaining about everything that sucked about this Korea / China trip. It made the whole thing so much more fun and bearable to complain together about it. But when you get back home, it’s over, it’s not like complaining just for the sake of it. When someone sucks I’ll complain about it bottom line, have since I was a kid, always will. I expect a lot and when my expectations aren’t met I’ll complain. If I didn’t I’d probably bottle it all up and go postal or something lol

Old 07-29-2018, 04:25 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I try to avoid them or limit my interactions with them. It's one thing to complain and fix the problem they are complaining about.

If they keep complaining about the same issue without making an effort to solve the problem, those the people I avoid. Also, people who complain about what others have done to them long ago. GET OVER IT. Move on.

I know someone like this. He complains and is nursing a grudge over something someone said to him 35 years ago. Yet, he does not discuss the nasty things he has said to others and about others over the years. I had enough one day and asked him why it is okay for him to say nasty things to others but he cannot and obviously will not forgive the person who said something nasty to him? This person has kept a long mental record of everything people have said and done to him, but the bad things he has said and done are not mentioned. It's no wonder he is friendless and most of his family have distanced themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships