U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2013, 11:37 AM

1,673 posts, read 2,357,171 times

Advertisements

Does it seem like people are more negative than ever before?. I mean there are people who no matter what is going on finds something negative to say about it. There could be a rainbow with a pot of gold at the end of it and there would be somebody saying that there isnt enough gold in the pot.

I know people like this and I try to keep my distance from them. Anyone else know people like this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 12:29 PM

15,087 posts, read 17,554,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post

I know people like this and I try to keep my distance from them. Anyone else know people like this?
No.

[because I don't allow them within my 'inner circle']

Old 11-29-2013, 01:33 PM

291 posts, read 451,168 times
Yes.

One friend was going through a divorce, and all she talked about was how horrible her husband and her life was. I was very sympathetic and understanding, but it turned into a one-way friendship where all I did was listen to her gripe. She never even bothered to ask about my life. When I did manage to get a word in edgewise about my life, she immediately turned it back to her, her, her and how horrible/terrible things were for her. After a year with no change, I finally had to drop her. A mutual friend dropped her too because of her total lack of interest in anyone other than herself and her own misery.

I have another friend who is a very sweet person, but she is extremely negative. If I had a nickel for every time she uses words like terrible, bad, horrible, awful, etc., I'd be filthy rich. The only reason I remain friends with her is because she lives on the opposite coast, so it's just a phone call once a month. But I only call her during happy hour. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to handle the conversation.

And my mother was like that. Every conversation was an endless monologue of negativity. I couldn't be in her company for more than 15 minutes at a time without wanting to stick a fork in my eye.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
No.

[because I don't allow them within my 'inner circle']
Kinda hard to leave them out of the inner circle when they are close family members in my case. I do least point out the positives when they are telling me their petty grips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayT15 View Post
Yes.

One friend was going through a divorce, and all she talked about was how horrible her husband and her life was. I was very sympathetic and understanding, but it turned into a one-way friendship where all I did was listen to her gripe. She never even bothered to ask about my life. When I did manage to get a word in edgewise about my life, she immediately turned it back to her, her, her and how horrible/terrible things were for her. After a year with no change, I finally had to drop her. A mutual friend dropped her too because of her total lack of interest in anyone other than herself and her own misery.

I have another friend who is a very sweet person, but she is extremely negative. If I had a nickel for every time she uses words like terrible, bad, horrible, awful, etc., I'd be filthy rich. The only reason I remain friends with her is because she lives on the opposite coast, so it's just a phone call once a month. But I only call her during happy hour. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to handle the conversation.

And my mother was like that. Every conversation was an endless monologue of negativity. I couldn't be in her company for more than 15 minutes at a time without wanting to stick a fork in my eye.
I lend an ear to anyone who wants to complain, grip whatever because everybody does it at some point, but to make it a constant stream of negativity all the time is too much for most people. Its like they want to live their lives under a dark cloud and make everyone else live under that same cloud as well.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:22 PM

22,654 posts, read 28,660,433 times
What do I do about them? I stay away from them.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:13 PM

12,887 posts, read 15,418,335 times
Quote:
Kinda hard to leave them out of the inner circle when they are close family members in my case. I do least point out the positives when they are telling me their petty grips.

I lend an ear to anyone who wants to complain, grip whatever because everybody does it at some point, but to make it a constant stream of negativity all the time is too much for most people. Its like they want to live their lives under a dark cloud and make everyone else live under that same cloud as well.
You're right, everyone wants an ear occasionally to gripe to..Do you find that when you point out "the silver lining", or positives, that they don't carry on so much around you?...like maybe misery likes company, and they know you're not going there?

Old 11-29-2013, 04:13 PM

18,341 posts, read 23,506,172 times
some people shyt too close to the house..

Old 11-29-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
You're right, everyone wants an ear occasionally to gripe to..Do you find that when you point out "the silver lining", or positives, that they don't carry on so much around you?...like maybe misery likes company, and they know you're not going there?
When I point out the positives, most people usually just stop talking or just find someone else to dump their negativity on. It does seem like now days there are alot of people who will dig endlessly to find something bad in a obviously good situation.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:45 PM

265 posts, read 453,116 times
Quote:
When I point out the positives, most people usually just stop talking or just find someone else to dump their negativity on. It does seem like now days there are alot of people who will dig endlessly to find something bad in a obviously good situation.
I totally agree with this. And yes,people do seem more bitter and negative overall than in times past. Sign of the times?

Old 11-29-2013, 05:47 PM

55,634 posts, read 74,577,828 times
avoidance. and perhaps pity, somebody must have really banged them up for them to bleed like that all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships