U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 06:15 AM

2,893 posts, read 3,047,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
This is just sad - exactly why the world is in such bad shape today. People with this mindset have no qualms about hurting those they feel are inferior to them - which would include all OTHER animals (people with this mindset don't understand humans are animals first), as well as inflicting wars on other peoples they feel are inferior to themselves.

It's a very egotistical, arrogant point-of-view.
You are quoting shyguy, and saying his point of view is sad. This has nothing to do with why the world is in such shape today. The reason the world is in such bad shape is because some people think only of themselves and hurt others, steal from others, rape, and kill others, talk about people, slander others, and are plain rude to others. Bottom line, going back to what God said, loving others is very, very important.
I have this mindset an animal is not like me. Humans are not animals first. We are human beings, nothing like lowly animals. I am no better than other people , rich or poor, educated or no high school degree. They are humans. A wonderful creation, nothing like an animal. You have to differentiate between human beings and animals. It is not egotistical or arrogant, it is very intelligent, something animals are not.
Shyguy, has the basic answer that I agree with for the OP (original poster). The cousins bringing their dogs to the family reunion have no manners. They are not thinking about the rest of the family or his daughter, whom is allergic to dogs. They also, like you, fail to see the difference with human beings and animals. If they did, they would put his daughter and the owner of the house first, and leave their dogs home!

Old 12-03-2013, 06:37 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,537,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
It is an indictment on this modern culture that people are so big on unconditional acceptance & no criticism of anything they do. It doesn't matter how unethical they're being or what they're doing, they don't want any criticism, not even when it's in a well-done tone that isn't harsh, regarding anything they do. Heck, they want you to CELEBRATE it with them.

But humans are too smart for that, we're going to call you on these things, because that's what a good friend will do, & some people just can't handle it. They MUST have nothing but unconditional acceptance of their sordid lifestyle and perverted ways, to them THAT is what a good friend is.

To be blunt--they crave a living organism too limited in intelligence to comprehend such things, a simple feeble-minded type of living thing whose limited mental intelligence causes them to blindly love any old body no matter what. Heck, throw me in the trunk and come back in 2 hours, and I will still love you, as the old adage goes.

They want friends even dumber than they are, to be blunt. They also have absolutely no respect for the sanctity and distinction of importance of human life as being head & shoulders above any animal, pets included.

Their thinking is wrong, and it needs to be called for the wrong it is. Period.
Hey, I had my tongue in cheek when I was talking about my dogs. I have 8 kids and 12 grandchildren and of course I love them too and in reality their lives are infinitely more important that those of any animal. The bottom line is that I do love people and attempt to be towards them just as the bible tells me to be. That fact in no way detracts from the fact that I also love animals a great deal. It's definitely a different kind of love than that directed towards human beings. People are unbalanced in innumerable ways. An excessive love for animals seems to me to be one of the lesser of the evils besetting much of mankind.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:39 AM

8,223 posts, read 10,748,115 times
Since I'm not a dog owner,(but I adore cats,I loveeeee cats) its seems to me dog owners feel entitled.

You never,ever see this behavior with cat owners....I wonder why.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:44 AM

3,637 posts, read 2,685,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Since I'm not a dog owner,(but I adore cats,I loveeeee cats) its seems to me dog owners feel entitled.

Maybe YOU never do - but that does not mean such behaviour does not exist. It actually does.

However the differences between cats and dogs are likely to have an effect on the commonality of both. Cats are independent for the most part. You can kick them out of the house - go about your day or night or visitations - and return to them later.

Dogs are a pack animal - a social creature - leaving them in isolation for extended periods of time is more common than it should be and is in many ways cruel. While some members of the canine family - like foxes - have evolved towards more independance - many wolves and very much the domesticated dog very much need to be in a social structure and pack.

So no I do not see anything here to suggest dog owners feel "entitled" - so much as I seem them merely acknowledging the actual attributes of the creature they possess.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:06 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,771,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
They do this to get out of coming to functions. You've been played- think about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, please. I'm pretty sure they would not have gotten dressed up and driven 20 miles with a dog to a party they really didn't want to attend. Did you think before you posted that?
I think the OP actually has a good thought here.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:16 AM

28,906 posts, read 46,623,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

That's easy. 99% of all cats freak out in cars.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:57 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
I doubt that is right given the described reactions can happen with people with kids just as easily - or often - as those without. Your point would have some credibility if the trait only arose in child less people - but it does not which seems to undermine your point.

Perhaps rather than "kid" status a better word would be "family" status. For many people their pets have been incorportated and adopted into the family unit. They are as much "family" to them as any other member of the family would be - like a step dad - adopted or fostered child - or any other external addition people make to their familes all the time.

So perhaps the offense of such people is that they see the pet as a member of the family - while others do not - and this riles them up the wrong way.

As for my part - I live between worlds on this one - I actually own a wolf rather than a dog - so we can not go anywhere as a full family without him - or without taking sufficient complex steps to ensure his care. Anyone with a problem with that simply does not invite us to their house - or gives us more than sufficient advance warning to cater for requirements.

Generally people do not have an issue with it though. Most realise that where we go - he comes too.
10 posters sent me rep agreeing with my first post, but there has to be a dissenter in every crowd, lol

My words had no value or "credibility" for you but anyone who would own a wolf has no credibility to me.

To each his own....

Old 12-03-2013, 10:57 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,771,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post

As for my part - I live between worlds on this one - I actually own a wolf rather than a dog - so we can not go anywhere as a full family without him - or without taking sufficient complex steps to ensure his care. Anyone with a problem with that simply does not invite us to their house - or gives us more than sufficient advance warning to cater for requirements.

Generally people do not have an issue with it though. Most realise that where we go - he comes too.
I certainly would have no problem with this. You would not be invited.. We would not visit.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:08 AM

15,965 posts, read 12,736,940 times
I take my dog wherever I can and wherever my dog would feel comfortable. If I go on weekend trips, my dog usually goes with me. She rathes sits in the car outside a restaurant (if it'ts not hot) as sitting alone at home. Why would I go spend a weekend somewhere on the beach and leave the doggy at home?

My dog enjoys people and most people are usually excited to see her, she cuddles with everybody.

BUT: If I am invited somewhere, I always ask if I can bring her along. If there is somebody allergic or has a cat, I will not bring the dog. I will still go there, but probably won't stay that long. My close friends all like dogs but still, when I am invited, I ask every single time and don't just assume.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:30 AM

8,080 posts, read 13,430,136 times
The mindset that the dog is on the same level with the other humans in the family is probably why
people refuse to get rid of a dog that begins to show aggressive behaviors ..

They put their own child in danger because getting rid of the " canine sibling" is not an option..

Mauling deaths happen all the time and the only reason I can think of that people allow dogs that they know are dangerous to be around their young children is that the dog & child are equally important to these parents..

I love my dogs, but the second one becomes aggressive/dangerous it's off to Rainbow Bridge !!!!

I just read an article that people that have abuse in their childhood tend to attach abnormally to their pets sometimes.. It is a safer relationship for them..

Last edited by kelly237; 12-03-2013 at 12:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships