U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 12:01 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 439,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I agree. They sound kind of crazy. lol I completely understand considering your pet to be 100% a part of your family, but it's not ok to bring them everywhere you go.
I can relate to the idea of a dog being the "family pet", but not to the idea of the dog being an actual
"part of the family", except as a joke (when I was a kid, I gave our dogs and cats our family name so they'd have a complete, full name)

Old 12-03-2013, 12:02 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,539,248 times
Everyone is welcome to bring their dogs to my house anytime.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:03 PM

28 posts, read 53,616 times
Dogs are overrated. I'm more of a cat person myself. I like dogs, but in moderation.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:32 PM

28 posts, read 53,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
This is just sad - exactly why the world is in such bad shape today. People with this mindset have no qualms about hurting those they feel are inferior to them - which would include all OTHER animals (people with this mindset don't understand humans are animals first), as well as inflicting wars on other peoples they feel are inferior to themselves.

It's a very egotistical, arrogant point-of-view.
So me killing a mouse that's eating my food and can possibly get me sick is on the same moral plane as me shooting some kid who's snuck into my house and is stealing beer from my fridge? No, I think humans are more important than animals because we are more sentient. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be kind to animals, but equating animals to people or thinking that not doing so is somehow akin to racism is not only threatening to the human rights we have won over the generations, but ultimately isn't that great for animals either. Animals are not people and should not be treated the same way as people.

And I'm saying this as a person who loves animals.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:36 PM

3,064 posts, read 5,577,919 times
Cool Everyone is welcome to bring their dogs to my house anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Everyone is welcome to bring their dogs to my house anytime.
I'm sure you won't need anyone to stay and help clean up after this party.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:55 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 439,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

It is an indictment on this modern culture that people are so big on unconditional acceptance & no criticism of anything they do. It doesn't matter how unethical they're being or what they're doing, they don't want any criticism
sanctity and distinction of importance of human life as being head & shoulders above any animal, pets included.

Their thinking is wrong, and it needs to be called for the wrong it is. Period.
I've read a few of your previous posts in this thread.

You seem to engage in some sort of unconditional raising of any human, no matter how wretched and cruel and demonic, above any animal. I agree with you to *some* extent in that, *by default* a human is more important than an animal. I can sort of agree with that. But humans have more responsabilities than animals do and a human can act in a way wicked enough that they fall in my esteem below *some* animals, imho.

You said something earlier about people letting their pets jump on the couch and not their children.
Does it occur to you that they're simply holding their kids to a higher standard and that holding people to a high standard is a way of honouring them ? My cat sometimes jumps on the table. I push it away but I really have no need to lose my cool over it. I would definitely not tolerate my child doing the same though. My child would be expected to act like a human being and human beings, being above cats (usually!) have to do better than jumping on top of tables at random.

Why would I, for example, hold the life of some "rebel" in some country who kills, rapes and eats people for fun above the life of my service dog ? Elevating a "human" being of that sort smacks of uncritical tolerance and acceptance and I'm no into it either.

If you want to get christian about this, think of the way Lucifer/Satan is treated compared to Man.
Angels are obviously superior to humans, by default. Yet at least one angel acted in such a way that he is seen as less deserving of grace than any human*

*I'm not saying any of this is true but that's how the story goes more or less.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:58 PM

2,893 posts, read 3,048,283 times
I forgot to add: nobody can bring their dog or cat to my house to visit. I would ask them to leave them at home. I don't have any pets, and if I did, they would stay outside. I don't want pets in my house, so I would never let family or friends bring theirs over, but nobody ever asks me to do this. I certainly can't understand anybody that lets an animal sleep in the bed with them, let alone come over my house and climb on my leather furniture. The original posters family should respect their elder grandma and leave the pets at home!

Old 12-03-2013, 02:42 PM

2,816 posts, read 5,372,058 times
"Crazy cat women" are as bad or even worse. Said, women, in an overdose of bunny-boiling love hysteria, always raise the station of the object of their affections one notch. Until they can dupe a man into marry them and give them children their cats are their "children" or their "babies". When they finally have real children they're their "angels". Scary people.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:16 PM

28,906 posts, read 46,631,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
"Crazy cat women" are as bad or even worse. Said, women, in an overdose of bunny-boiling love hysteria, always raise the station of the object of their affections one notch. Until they can dupe a man into marry them and give them children their cats are their "children" or their "babies". When they finally have real children they're their "angels". Scary people.
That's nice, but it's also not the point. We're talking about people who haul their dogs to the homes of others.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:38 PM

839 posts, read 1,035,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
I can relate to the idea of a dog being the "family pet", but not to the idea of the dog being an actual
"part of the family", except as a joke (when I was a kid, I gave our dogs and cats our family name so they'd have a complete, full name)
Again, I agree with a lot that has been said but my dog is a part of my family. After my mom passed and after seeing my dag struggle surviving cancer, my dog brought a lot of comfort to me during that time.

Again, I don't take my dog to people's houses. But don't expect me to put him up when you come visit me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships