U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 04:18 PM

28,906 posts, read 46,598,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
If you read my first post in this thread, you will see I don't take my dog to people's houses. Seems like you have the mentality that since you have a daughter with an allergy, that no one should bring their dog where she might be affected by it.

Everytime someone has had a view you didn't agree with, you insulted them. Sorry, but the world doesn't revolve around your daughter.
I'm not sure I understand. I never have responded to one of your posts on this thread. What's more, I've reciprocated to people in the spirit of their own remarks.

Further, I'm not asking for the world to revolve around my daughter. However, I am remarking on the relatively recent phenomenon of people bringing their dogs along uninvited when they go visit. I am not asking people to clean their houses and banish their own dogs when we visit them. Let me be specific here:

1. If you want your dog to come along, then ask the person inviting you. I'm not sure how this is a big deal.
2. If you ask your host if you can bring your dog and are met with a pause or anything less than an absolutely enthusiastic response, they would rather you didn't bring your dog but are just being nice.
3. If your host thinks it is not a good idea to bring your dog, then you should not be affronted. It is not a reflection on their character and it should not be considered a reflection on you.
4. Given that 15% of the world is allergic to dogs, that means in a gathering of 7 people or more, one of them is likely to have an allergy to your pet. This should give anyone pause.
5. One's dog, nice as it may be, is not accorded the same status as people. It is not a surrogate child with all the rights and honors of one.
6. There are health code regulations for restaurants barring dogs inside unless they are service dogs. These health codes exist for a reason, not just because bureaucrats dislike animals.
7. The more formal the event, the less appropriate it is to bring a dog. On the other hand, at an outdoor event such a barbecue, chances are no one will care at all as long as the dog behaves itself.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:40 PM

3,243 posts, read 4,453,115 times
Hate it when people show up with their dogs. I'm not equipped for dogs, I have cats. My son in law is as severely allergic to dogs as your daughter is OP. It's so hard on him to be around his own family who have dogs. They just keep hoping he will get used to the dogs, but he seems to just get worse around them as time goes by. He has had a lifetime of allergy shots and medicine and nothing has helped.

You have every right to expect people to not bring their dogs to your home. In fact, yes your world does revolve around your daughter and rightly so.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:32 AM

832 posts, read 1,176,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay. I've owned dogs. Had dogs I loved. If you just own a dog, you are not the subject of this thread.

But help me understand this subculture among dog owners who think it perfectly okay to haul their dogs wherever they go. In other words, if they are invited to a party, the dog comes along. And they are offended if their dogs aren't welcome.

Here's the issue. My daughter is severely allergic to dogs. We're not talking a bout of sneezing here. We're talking about major reactions to the point of having gone to the emergency room a couple of times. She pretty much gave up babysitting because all her clients had dogs. What's more, she's not alone. Somewhere around 15% of the population has allergies of varying severity to dogs. My family has been great about accommodating this.

So my brother hosts Thanksgiving this year. It's a big affair with about 40 people invited, family and friends alike. One couple who was invited has been friends of our family for years. But they also like to bring their labrador with them. So when my brother invites them, they mention how excited Max, their dog, will be to come over. But when my brother, a pretty diplomatic guy, mentions that bringing Max wasn't a good idea, he was told that if Max wasn't invited they wouldn't come either. And hung up. My brother couldn't even get out that my daughter had major allergies. Instead they simply got angry and refused to come.

Fast forward to today. It was my mother's 80th birthday party. We rented out a nice restaurant and invited 120 guests. And, what do you know, the same two people show up with the damned dog. This time, the restaurant manager strolled up and said, "I'm sorry, but no dogs are allowed in the restaurant." Again, they left in a huff.

I'd like to say that this is unique. But I've noticed over the years that it's become increasingly common for people to haul their mutts to any event. As in the animals are family members and have a right to be there. Never mind that one person in every seven is allergic to dogs. They just think this segment of dog owners think it's their God-given right to bring Trixie along.

So what's the deal here?
I think in a nutshell, the deal is:

Narcissism.

What's important to me, must be important to you because I'm important to me.

That's it.

The dog is important to them.

Your dog is not important to me.

I have no problem letting people like that walk off in a huff because I don't think they have the right to impose their weird ideas on me.

Your precious Fifi is useless. You've got a useless, poo eating yapper that is wholly dependent upon you and would not be able to survive a week in the wild. Yes, your pugapoo was once an apex predator. That useless little thing that can't open it's mouth, can't clean it's butt, can't protect you or the herd, can't bring you food, has hip dysplasia and can't take care of itself, is the descendant of a wolf.

Now that you've decided your personal pleasure is more important than nature, let's be fair. You've created this... "thing" and it's very existence is for your personal pleasure to dress up and paint as you please.

Never mind that I've never seen an elephant walking around with a leopard on a leash.

Your personal pleasure is all that matters in the world.

Enjoy it.

Over there please.

PS) I love dogs. Guilty. But if it's my sanity and happiness over that of a dog and their owners, I choose myself because I am a narcissist.

Last edited by mrskay662000; 12-06-2013 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: grammar and punctuation

Old 12-07-2013, 06:44 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,970,509 times
"This is a civil rights issue!"

Old 12-07-2013, 06:59 PM

2,718 posts, read 1,754,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Why would I want to come to your house? My dog sits with me at the finest restaurants, shops at Neiman Marcus, and is welcomed everywhere.
A few years ago I would have said this post is a bunch of baloney. Unfortunately, I've started to see more and more of this, although not at the "finest restaurants" (this part I doubt, but wouldn't be surprised).

If I'm ever in a reataurant and someone like this has their mutt with them, I'll call the manager and have them thrown out. It's really ridiculous.

There are restaurants that welcome dogs in the outside dining area. At least they warn you. All other places are verboten.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:33 PM

315 posts, read 482,382 times
My dog is my family and I love him dearly, but to expect a dog to be "invited" everywhere is equally as rude. I would HOPE people will invite me and my future DOGS to their homes for holidays, I know my parents would, but if not, they do not come. My current one is a little nutso to do so, I love him though. Dogs INSIDE restaurants is obscene. I can't believe they actually thought they'd be allowed in. That one gets me. Sounds like the poor mutt needs a break from THEM! A dog needs to be a dog, plain and simple, stop trying to turn it into a baby.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:36 AM

2,718 posts, read 1,754,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG1659 View Post
My dog is my family and I love him dearly, but to expect a dog to be "invited" everywhere is equally as rude. I would HOPE people will invite me and my future DOGS to their homes for holidays...
If i invited a dog owner over for the holidays, it would not occur to me to include the dog. Not necessarily because I don't want the dog over, but because I don't own dogs.

Not being a dog owner, I don't think of them as family. So if someone has children, I would automatically include everyone. But dogs? I wouldn't think about it. Maybe sometimes this is why the dogs get left out.

Now, I don't want animals in my house. Other people may not mind, they're just not thinking of your dogs as your family.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:38 AM

9,844 posts, read 20,091,196 times
My dog is like a spoiled small person in a dog suit, but I don't usually take him where he's not invited. I wouldn't take anyone someplace they weren't welcome.

Part of it is because it's a hassle to take a dog everywhere. Plus, he bites people who get in his face.

Last edited by ellie; 12-08-2013 at 08:50 AM..

Old 12-08-2013, 03:09 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,666,956 times
I wonder if this thread would have received different responses if it had been posted in the Dogs sub-forum of the Pets Forum?

Old 12-08-2013, 03:38 PM

769 posts, read 828,426 times
I have a dog who goes everywhere with me WHEN it is dog appropriate. Otherwise he is perfect happy to sleep on his bed, couch, and my bed. Also he will lay in the sunbeam.

I went shopping the other day and in a store someone had a DOG. The dog gave me the sniff test and the lady started flipping out on me in some language. Lady...you are in a RETAIL store with a dog. Get over yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships