Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,002,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

And if you hired me, you'd be darned glad that I would even CONSIDER rescuing your dog from personal harm in "a life or death situation".
Not me, if you are caring for my dog and a person needs saving..save the person...

Old 01-07-2014, 10:20 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,002,666 times
Quote:
The hypothetical was NOT rescuing your dog versus your own KID, it was rescuing your dog versus a STRANGER.

Then of course, people take it to the extreme and change the question (like you did) like "letting the dog take a seat on a lifeboat instead of a human".

Then of course a TOTAL STRANGER has to become "a KID" to up the emotional quotient.
The whole thread had talked about people who consider their dog to be a person/kid.

In the "save your dog or a stranger" question it's reasonable to assume the person could be a child and the lifeboat is just one example of having to make that decision..

Every stranger is someone's child, parent, sister, brother....

Old 01-07-2014, 10:52 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,386 times
Dogs are not allowed in my house.

Dog lovers have told me............" my dogs are just as behaved as my children "

I tell them............." I don't want to see your children licking their private parts while in my house either "

Old 01-07-2014, 11:51 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Okay I will ask a provocative question...

If you were in a life & death situation and were forced to chose between saving your dog or a
complete stranger which would you choose ???

ps. this isn't directed at anyone specific but a general question to everyone..
Complete stranger. Absolutely no hesitation on my part. I would hate it, but that's just the way it is.

And please don't try to game this question with stupid questions such as "But what if the stranger is a convicted murderer?" Since that person is a stranger, you wouldn't have the luxury of knowing that. What would you do, have them fill out a form so you could weigh his or her value?

Old 01-07-2014, 12:09 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post

As for my part - I live between worlds on this one - I actually own a wolf rather than a dog - so we can not go anywhere as a full family without him - or without taking sufficient complex steps to ensure his care. Anyone with a problem with that simply does not invite us to their house - or gives us more than sufficient advance warning to cater for requirements.

Generally people do not have an issue with it though. Most realise that where we go - he comes too.

This made me laugh for real. Here everyone is complaining about how inconsiderate it is that people have to bring a dog to their house, and you post that you bring your wolf. Now that would be an interesting thread...

"We have this friend who insists on bringing his wolf to our dinner parties...."

Old 01-07-2014, 12:12 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
This made me laugh for real. Here everyone is complaining about how inconsiderate it is that people have to bring a dog to their house, and you post that you bring your wolf. Now that would be an interesting thread...

"We have this friend who insists on bringing his wolf to our dinner parties...."
Yeah. And when the thing begs for table scraps, you better damned well give it to him.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
The hypothetical was NOT rescuing your dog versus your own KID, it was rescuing your dog versus a STRANGER.

Then of course, people take it to the extreme and change the question (like you did) like "letting the dog take a seat on a lifeboat instead of a human".

Then of course a TOTAL STRANGER has to become "a KID" to up the emotional quotient.
change the question? i didn't even address the question. but since you mention it, it doesn't matter if its your dog or someone else's dog. you don't rescue an animal instead of a person. im sure the person you rescue (or their loved one) will buy you another dog that you can fall in love with and obsess over as if its the most important thing in your life because you lack the ability to have normal relationships with people. a person is much more important than any dog/cat/rat/rabbit/guinea pig or any other animal that you love so much because he doesn't judge you and all of your flaws.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:42 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
Say all the personal attacks you want, I am not a firefighter, cop or EMT. If I RISK MY OWN LIFE it's not going to be for some stranger, it's going to be for my dog, given that I would likely expire in the process myself. Duh.

Furthermore, I'm a professional pet sitter and dog walker. People are paying me to take care of their dogs not their neighbors. And if you hired me, you'd be darned glad that I would even CONSIDER rescuing your dog from personal harm in "a life or death situation".
the concept that you would likely expire in the process wasn't included. nobody expects you to save a person or animal if the chances are that you are going to die trying.

if you are dog sitting my dog and some scenario happened where you could save a person or my dog; then i would expect you to save the person. its great that you care about my dog and all but that just means i want you to walk my dog, play with the dog, feed the dog and don't beat my dog. it doesn't mean i think you should consider my dog's life more valuable than the life of a person. you don't have to be chuck Norris dog sitter that is risking his life for my dog.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:43 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
Can I smack or hit a dog who's biting me ? Is that OK or that's too violent ?

I wouldn't appreciate seeing a friend smack my cat for *no reason* but I have seen friends push my cat away when my cat was a bit too insisting. That was fine with me, even though pushing away my child, for example, would be quite inappropriate. Pets are not children.
That's a silly question, of course you could hit a dog who was biting you. As for the cat, pushing it aside is hardly the same as hitting it. Just because pets are not children makes it okay to smack someone else's pet??

Old 01-07-2014, 04:46 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
change the question? i didn't even address the question. but since you mention it, it doesn't matter if its your dog or someone else's dog. you don't rescue an animal instead of a person. im sure the person you rescue (or their loved one) will buy you another dog that you can fall in love with and obsess over as if its the most important thing in your life because you lack the ability to have normal relationships with people. a person is much more important than any dog/cat/rat/rabbit/guinea pig or any other animal that you love so much because he doesn't judge you and all of your flaws.
This whole argument is ridiculous. What if you had to choose between saving your 96 year old father, or a stranger's child??? What if you had to choose between saving a nun and a homeless man??? What if you had to choose between saving a handicapped stranger and your next door neighbor??? The whole thing is silly, and I don't think any of these choices are likely to happen, nor do I believe most people know exactly what they would do in this situation. Most people probably wouldn't save anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.