U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 05:31 PM

2,026 posts, read 1,731,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWolfen View Post
....but dogs are worth more to me than most humans.
Very profound statement on many, many levels. So much so, I'm going to leave it alone.

May you continue to cultivate peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I am sure a lot of people feel the same way as you, whether they admit it or not..

Personally, I don't think any dog is equal in value to a human..

If a person rescued their dog and allowed my child to die their would be hell to pay for sure...
That would truly be unspeakably tragic.

But I think most people interpreted that hypothetical stranger as being an adult.

Although, it doesn't make the loss of a human life any less tragic.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:28 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,701,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This whole argument is ridiculous. What if you had to choose between saving your 96 year old father, or a stranger's child??? What if you had to choose between saving a nun and a homeless man??? What if you had to choose between saving a handicapped stranger and your next door neighbor??? The whole thing is silly, and I don't think any of these choices are likely to happen, nor do I believe most people know exactly what they would do in this situation. Most people probably wouldn't save anyone.
It also goes back to the age old question, which was used as a test of one's relationship, love and devotion: If you were on a boat and it was sinking and there were only one life preserver would you keep it for yourself or give it to your significant other?

We were having dinner with my boyfriends parents at the time and I wanted to roll my eyes to the back of my head when his mother brought up that question. I'd heard it 100 times.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:39 AM

8,080 posts, read 13,430,136 times
It's not the same question as "which human would you decide to save A, B or C."

The question is would you save your pet over a human..

We just found out today that our beloved Lab has bone cancer and only weeks to live..
We are shaken & sad but not the same way I was when i had a family member fighting
for their life against cancer..

I think anyone that puts pets on a human level has serious relationship/attachment issues...

Old 01-08-2014, 02:24 AM

3,637 posts, read 2,685,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
This made me laugh for real. Here everyone is complaining about how inconsiderate it is that people have to bring a dog to their house, and you post that you bring your wolf. Now that would be an interesting thread...

"We have this friend who insists on bringing his wolf to our dinner parties...."
Thankfully none of my friends would write such a thread though. They simply know that if they want all of us to go anywhere together - he comes too. Anyone with an issue with that simply known not to invite all of us at once. Simples

Old 01-08-2014, 04:32 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,310,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
There have been some times where I've said to some folks, "It's a dog. A dog. Remember ... it's a dog."
I like my dog an awful lot more than most people.

Quote:
That honestly depends on who the human is!

Old 01-08-2014, 06:12 AM

28,906 posts, read 46,623,864 times
Quote:
It's not the same question as "which human would you decide to save A, B or C."

We just found out today that our beloved Lab has bone cancer and only weeks to live..
We are shaken & sad but not the same way I was when i had a family member fighting
for their life against cancer..

I think anyone that puts pets on a human level has serious relationship/attachment issues...
I would agree with this. I've found that people with the "I prefer the company of dogs over that of people" mantra typically are more self-centered. It's easy to have a relationship with a dog, for a dog essentially centers his or her life around that of the owner. So the basic premise is really "I prefer the company of those who are all about me all the time."

Meanwhile, people actually require interaction. Sometimes it's not all about you. Sometimes it's about the other person. You have to be considerate of the other person. You sometimes have to listen rather than talk. You sometimes have to do what the other person wants. And you actually have to be a judge of character. Dogs are companions, not friends. And they are certainly not children. For a dog requires nothing but kibble in his bowl to be happy with you.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:10 AM

20,359 posts, read 16,507,985 times
I don't think treating your dog as a member of your family equates to thinking it's human. I feel like people on this thread are trying to equate simply loving your pet as a member of your family with the shunning of human company or the pedestalizing of dogs as equal to humans. I think that is very rare in reality.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 AM

28,906 posts, read 46,623,864 times
Quote:
I don't think treating your dog as a member of your family equates to thinking it's human. I feel like people on this thread are trying to equate simply loving your pet as a member of your family with the shunning of human company or the pedestalizing of dogs as equal to humans. I think that is very rare in reality.
I didn't say that. I just think the absolute preferment of dogs over people speaks to something innately wrong with the person's ability to interact with others.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:44 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,714,803 times
Quote:
I don't think it is ......."very rare in reality "

You would be surprised at how many dog owners who feel it is ok alowing their dog into your house w/o asking.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:45 AM

20,359 posts, read 16,507,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I didn't say that. I just think the absolute preferment of dogs over people speaks to something innately wrong with the person's ability to interact with others.
My point was I know many people who adore their dogs, put outfits on them, spoil them, spend tons to keep them healthy...one of them would be me if I had a dog again, and has in the past been me...my dogs were my babies and I loved them like crazy...but I don't know a single person who "prefers dog over people". I think some people here are equating the two. I just think it's a ridiculous leap to say people who treat their dogs like their babies hate people and would even let a child be killed in front of them. It makes no sense to make that leap and IMO there is no justification for it nor the contempt and judgement on this thread, JMO.

I happen to believe humans have an infinite capability for love, and that it can include both people and animals, especially those animals we have bonded with and who love us unconditionally. Why this erroneous belief that loving one creature must come at the expense of another?

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 01-08-2014 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships