U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 12:00 AM

2,288 posts, read 2,606,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
I wouldn't invite them to anything, allergy or no allergy.
It's against the law to have an animal that is not a service dog
in a resturant. Many people don't seem to know this.
Mabey they are the people who you invite when you have something at
a resturant and then watch them storm off again, LOL, idk.
I love my dog. She's my buddy. When I go out, most of the time she
stays home and waits for me at the window.
She's safer at home, in the climate controlled snuggy environment that she
is secure in. She has her food, water, tv is left on for her. She has a wonderful
couch with a nice blanky on the top of it, where she sits and gets a front row seat
to the entire front of my home.
Yea, she is happier at home when I go out anywhere, and so am I.

Agree and wonder what made them think it'd be allowed.

Glad I'm not the only one to leave the tv on for furbabies. I always do, and if I'll be gone late, I leave a light on. My son just gave me a talking to Thanksgiving, about how dogs can see in the dark. He laughs when I tell him all the stuff I do before leaving the house for them. And I never dare bring any shopping bags in the house without a "gift" for the pups. They have so many toys, I now just sneak in one of their old ones so they can have fun finding it. Nah...their not spoiled.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:22 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,659,551 times
There is really no way to understand the irrationality of some people. Extremism is everywhere, including among some pet owners.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:46 AM

11,678 posts, read 14,367,559 times
Sounds like some kind of attachment disorder.

I've been involved in the dog world for almost 20 years now as a owner, trainer, groomer, foster parent, etc. I've never encountered someone like you describe and i've met some major crazies. Most are very reasonable people, but you're always going to have those that go to the extreme.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:55 AM

1,210 posts, read 366,408 times
My dogs are like my kids and I will protect them at any cost. Therefore though I would love to take them many more places I refrain from doing so and leave them at home where they are safer and in their own area. There are too many weirdo freaks out there who could harm them, brats that would tease them and perhaps get bit, and then their folks will lawyer up and try to get every last dime and then many times your dogs end up being put down due to these incidents. Leave them at home. These two anyway sound like they are two bricks short of a load .

Old 12-01-2013, 01:00 AM

1,210 posts, read 366,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Agree and wonder what made them think it'd be allowed.

Glad I'm not the only one to leave the tv on for furbabies. I always do, and if I'll be gone late, I leave a light on. My son just gave me a talking to Thanksgiving, about how dogs can see in the dark. He laughs when I tell him all the stuff I do before leaving the house for them. And I never dare bring any shopping bags in the house without a "gift" for the pups. They have so many toys, I now just sneak in one of their old ones so they can have fun finding it. Nah...their not spoiled.
I don't leave the TV on, but I do have a couple lights on timers. Yes we can see some in the dark too but aren't we more comfortable with lights on, therefore pets need lights too.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:25 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,126,728 times
I own a dog walking/pet sitting business and not a single one of my hundreds of clients would do that. That's why they have pet sitters.

Those type of people are not typical.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:36 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,126,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Your daughter is going to have a rough life if you don't get her some help. There are ways to deal with allergies - dogs aren't going to "go away" to accommodate your daughter's medical condition.
That's not true. There is nothing a person can do if they have allergies. Unless you're suggesting getting SHOTS for the RANDOM time she may encounter dogs? Or someone has to take MEDICATION before going to someone's house?

There's no reason she needs to be around dogs. Why?

I'm a dog walker and in my OFF HOURS I RARELY encounter ANY dogs.

My ex husband broke out in extreme hives every time he was near a dog. You think he should have gotten SHOTS? That may or may not have worked? LOL. NO. We just didn't go to any houses with dogs.

People can chose to live with animals and accept that their social circles will be determined by those choices. It doesn't make either side of the story "wrong", IMO.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:54 AM

3,577 posts, read 3,135,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I don't get it either. I have a dog who loves to wear outfits. Seriously. Well, she has her favorites and ones she's not too crazy about but you take her out in the cold and she begs for her ski parka! But there's NO WAY I'd take my dogs to someone else's house unless the invitation had their names on it. Or family vacations? Really? Can you not kennel fido for a couple of days?
Kenneling is a last resort for us. You don't really know how your dog is being handled during that time. Mainly they sit in a cage most of the day. If they are lucky, they don't have to try and hold it too long before they go potty. My dog comes back shaking. It's a scary experience to him. I wouldn't purposely scare a human member of the family like that. Why would I do it to him? Many of our family vacations are centered around outdoor activities. They are well suited to dogs. A pet deposit at a pet friendly hotel is often less that the amount of money it would take to kennel him back home. If I keep my dog on a leash and take precautions, he's not any less safe than he is at home.

One of my conditions for getting a dog in the first place was that he had to be an active member of the family. I didn't want to get some cute little puppy that we played with for a few weeks and then stuck out in the back yard to be neglected and ignored for the rest of his life. As an active family member, he's not a nuisance to the neighbors because he isn't out in the yard barking all day.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:08 AM

7,288 posts, read 10,809,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
That's not true. There is nothing a person can do if they have allergies. Unless you're suggesting getting SHOTS for the RANDOM time she may encounter dogs? Or someone has to take MEDICATION before going to someone's house?

There's no reason she needs to be around dogs. Why?

I'm a dog walker and in my OFF HOURS I RARELY encounter ANY dogs.

My ex husband broke out in extreme hives every time he was near a dog. You think he should have gotten SHOTS? That may or may not have worked? LOL. NO. We just didn't go to any houses with dogs.

People can chose to live with animals and accept that their social circles will be determined by those choices. It doesn't make either side of the story "wrong", IMO.
I said nothing about "shots."

Old 12-01-2013, 10:40 AM

16,567 posts, read 14,005,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would have set up two TV trays on the back porch, one for her and one for her dog and I would have also put two dog bowls on said trays personalized for her and the dog. The rest of us would be sitting at the table enjoying non alpo food.
Its HER house.

She is clearly a whackadoodle but if its her house, what you suggested is far more rude than hers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships