U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 12:15 PM

2,697 posts, read 4,633,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
My mother, age 84, feelings were hurt on Thanksgiving.

For the first time in years, the extended family were all together for Thanksgiving in New Jersey (just outside of NYC). Mom and Dad are getting on in the years and we don't know how many more holidays we will have with the them in the future. They were looking forward to seeing and TALKING to the Grandchildren at Thanksgiving.

But once the event started no matter how hard we tried we could not get the teens and "20somethings" eyes off of their SmartPhones and to their relatives who wanted to talk to them face to face. Us parents could have done better but they said you had to pick your battles, most of the younger relatives, ages 12-30 did not even want to be there.

So on Thanksgiving day, most of the kids and young adults (ages 13-30) spent most of their time looking at their SmartPhones and texting. Very few of them said anything to their other relatives face to face using actual voices.

Grandma complained when most of them spent most of the time at the actual Thanksgiving dinner table texting. But her complaints fell on deaf ears.

(On Friday we all went into Manhattan and saw lots of other families having Friday's version of Thanksgiving Dinner at Buco di Beppo, a popular place for large family dinners, spending most of their time texting and not talking to their family.

What a sad state of affairs!
How is it only your family that seems to attract every dramatic and ludicrous scenario possible under the sun? Every time I see some crazy and completely unlikely scenario title, it's a strong bet I'll find your screen name as the originator, talking about your_third_cousin.

I thought my family had issues, but the scenarios you present are often the most dramatic possible...

Old 12-03-2013, 12:17 PM

38,690 posts, read 88,993,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You folks are unreal. I shared that only to point out that texting the hostess, instead of YELLING, and instead of my having to jump up and down out of my chair to see if anyone needs anything, was a way that a cell phone (and texting) could be helpful at a gathering.

Good grief.
It was a joke lady. Calm down...

Old 12-03-2013, 12:20 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
How is it only your family that seems to attract every dramatic and ludicrous scenario possible under the sun? Every time I see some crazy and completely unlikely scenario title, it's a strong bet I'll find your screen name as the originator, talking about your_third_cousin.

I thought my family had issues, but the scenarios you present are often the most dramatic possible...
I had noticed this, as well.

I have wondered if the OP is passing on real situations, or just playing with us.

It does seem that the threads invariably end up being some sort of treatise against modernity.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:20 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,468,767 times
Quote:
You folks are unreal. I shared that only to point out that texting the hostess, instead of YELLING, and instead of my having to jump up and down out of my chair to see if anyone needs anything, was a way that a cell phone (and texting) could be helpful at a gathering.
Why stop there? Why not post it to her on FB or create a zany youtube video letting her know...?

Old 12-03-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It was a joke lady. Calm down...
Oh. I could have so used a laugh this afternoon.

Too bad you weren't funnier. But the chill pill, in follow up, was kinda cute.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:24 PM

352 posts, read 572,278 times
We had a Christmas at my mother's house. My brother and his three sons were there ranging from 7-12 years old. His youngest was playing with my two boys who were about 3-1/2 at the time. His older two were nowhere to be found. The only time I saw at least one of them was at dinner or when we had plans to go out. At home, they were mostly gone. I asked my SIL why can't they come down and visit with the rest of us (in a nice way, of course). She said it was either let them play on their computers or hear them fight non-stop. Good point. I'd rather they not be around and keeping the peace by playing on their computers than to make us all listen to them fighting with each other. She said it's just been one of those weeks where they just don't want to play nice together. Other times, they get along just fine. She usually has the upper hand, but she picks the battles and decided this one she did not want to take part in. I don't blame her. I've heard their fights. They can get loud. Neither of them know when to back off either.

My mother never seemed to be bothered by this. She's heard the fighting before too. She was a little frustrated they weren't getting along enough to take part in the family conversations, but she too would prefer the peace over having to referee their squabbles during Christmas.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Why stop there? Why not post it to her on FB or create a zany youtube video letting her know...?
I asked the folks in the other area of my home to please text me when they needed refills on several hot dishes, so they wouldn't A. attempt to serve themselves and break something or B. scald themselves.

Unfortunately, my live in help was off for the day so I had to do such things as serve seconds.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:26 PM

38,690 posts, read 88,993,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh. I could have so used a laugh this afternoon.

Too bad you weren't funnier. But the chill pill, in follow up, was kinda cute.
Well the post you were stroking out over wasn't mine, so... maybe you can let the person who posted it know that they fell short of your lofty expectations.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
It's not like OP's family would have had a glorious Thanksgiving without those dang cellphones. This is what he posted well before his visit:
Yeppers. Sounds like escaping to a cell phone was a defense mechanism.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:30 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,468,767 times
One would think that with all of this texting going on the written word would be alive and well, however, texting gave everyone an excuse to write poorly instead.

Sad, technology was supposed to help us achieve...not devolve us into babbling baboons with no social skills whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships