Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 10:12 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times

Advertisements

Dissenter, this isn't entirely a bash against your generation. I don't think any of us who are "puffing out our chests" would condone a 40, 50, 60, or 70-something doing the same thing. It's the behavior we are against.

And you say some of us "wouldn't be pleasant people to be around anyway"---how would you even know who is pleasant or not if you are giving all your attention to your device and your friends, whom chances are you communicate much more with on a regular basis than relatives you see just once in a while?

Also, before you label people OCD about imposing a no-phone rule, wouldn't someone who is compelled to have to use the phone all the time be considered OCD? I was a psych major who has studied OCD: I understand it to be both an obsession and a compulsion. In this case, the obsession is wanting to be in touch nonstop with friends through short texted messages and photos and the compulsion is having to have the thumbs use the device. The person whose preference is no phones is not demonstrating an obsession or a compulsion---just a preference to have some quality social interaction----which one do you think is mentally healthier?

Old 12-04-2013, 10:16 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
I am 28 years old and if someone asks me (not that they'd need to...since I know better) I put my phone away. It is their house and their rules and unless your are a cop or a doctor, you do not need to be available at all times. I work in advertising and trust me sometimes clients or coworkers or vendors think things are life or death situations and I gladly answer emails and texts on nights and weekends but, if I'm somewhere, I don't answer right away. I wait until I can get away for a second to return their text/email/phone call.
You are lucky you never met my grandfather, he was a wonderful man but his house, his rules, you choose not to follow them then GTFO.
Sounds like a grandfather who was never disciplined.

Times have changed and the senile folks need to accept we don't use typewriters anymore, when they used to get their asses up and go find printing ink

My 900 facebook friends, most of whom I do not know much, are as important as the wrinkles sitting across the tables, some of whom can't even see how many eyes I have

Old 12-04-2013, 10:19 AM

452 posts, read 709,694 times
Wow, having someone ask you not to be so rude as to prefer an electronic device over your family is Nazism? Asking that you be polite is being pushed around?

I suppose that message is so much more important that the great grandmother who's pulled herself together so that she could see her family once more.

Trust me, when your family realizes that your friends texts are more important than they are, they won't bother inviting you because your presence would be insulting. Then, when you're old and grey and sitting all alone with your Iphone 3459093, and all your texting buddies can't see any more, you'll understand why your decision was hurtful to you.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:23 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
I am 28 years old and if someone asks me (not that they'd need to...since I know better) I put my phone away. It is their house and their rules and unless your are a cop or a doctor, you do not need to be available at all times. I work in advertising and trust me sometimes clients or coworkers or vendors think things are life or death situations and I gladly answer emails and texts on nights and weekends but, if I'm somewhere, I don't answer right away. I wait until I can get away for a second to return their text/email/phone call.

You are lucky you never met my grandfather, he was a wonderful man but his house, his rules, you choose not to follow them then GTFO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post

Times have changed and the senile folks need to accept we don't use typewriters anymore, when they used to get their asses up and go find printing ink
What part of that post indicates a lack of discipline?

And is that essentially your response: "Heh. Geezers." ?

Old 12-04-2013, 10:29 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
Quote:

My 900 facebook friends, most of whom I do not know much, are as important as the wrinkles sitting across the tables, some of whom can't even see how many eyes I have
My grandfather was the best person I know. He just did not tolerate anyone disrespecting his and my grandmother's rules. None of us ever had a problem with his rules. I'd give up every single fb friend and device to have gotten another day with him.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:32 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
What part of that post indicates a lack of discipline?

And is that essentially your response: "Heh. Geezers." ?
Old people need to accept that this is the norm and quit bitching about it.

You know, none of the younger folks are dying to go eat thanksgiving dinners anyway, diners are always open. But it's the old ones who insist to see the entire family and do whatever it is they need to do before they kick the bucket. I have better things to do like - laundry, work out and getting things ready for next week's work or better, spend all day in bed with Duchamp Girl (though I had to humour her by going to her family dinner).

If I am making an appearance, I am doing someone a favour. They should be more than happy that I showed up, WITH my phone

Old 12-04-2013, 10:33 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'd love to see how some of the posters who are puffing out their chests try to threaten and push around the 20-somethings who are probably independent adults on no cell phone use period, talking your house, your rules. Your house may not be a democracy but it is also not Alcatraz, I'd just leave if people were that OCD about not using my phone. I would not want to be around people who go Nazi if I leave the table to take a message, family or no family. Some of the ones puffing their chests are probably not pleasant people to be around anyway, so I would not be in their presence in the first place.
Trust me, any 20-something in my family would be so embarrassed that they even had to be told by an elder to behave like a proper adult that they'd sit there and take it. And for all of your own "chest-puffing," you probably would too, tough guy.

If you think you'd be "showing them" by walking out because you're asked to show some basic common courtesy... trust me, you wouldn't. You'd only be reinforcing what an insufferably rude little creep you are and why people with even the barest bit of social etiquette can't stand the "me me me it's all about me" generation you embody.

Quote:
No they don't.

Quote:
If I am making an appearance, I am doing someone a favour.
No you're not.

Last edited by Drover; 12-04-2013 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: forgot some words

Old 12-04-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:

You know, none of the younger folks are dying to go eat thanksgiving dinners anyway, diners are always open. But it's the old ones who insist to see the entire family and do whatever it is they need to do before they kick the bucket. I have better things to do like - laundry, work out and getting things ready for next week's work or better, spend all day in bed with Duchamp Girl (though I had to humour her by going to her family dinner).

If I am making an appearance, I am doing someone a favour. They should be more than happy that I showed up, WITH my phone
I feel sorry for your family. You should just stay home, then you will be doing them a favor! I guarantee you won't be missed.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Trust me, any 20-something in my family would be so embarrassed that even had to be reminded by an elder to behave like a proper adult that they would sit there and take it. And for all of your own "chest-puffing," you probably would too, tough guy.

If you think you'd "showing them" by walking out because you're asked to show some basic common courtesy... trust me, you wouldn't. You'd only reinforcing what a rude little creep you are and why people with even the barest bit of social etiquette can't stand the "me me me it's all about me" generation you embody.
Thank you, people like DUchamp Dude and Dissenter make my generation look bad. Most if not all of my friends value time with their family and would rather spend time talking to them then staring at their devices.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:37 AM

452 posts, read 709,694 times
Quote:
I feel sorry for your family. You should just stay home, then you will be doing them a favor! I guarantee you won't be missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships