U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Status: "Don't believe everything you think." (set 2 days ago)

30,065 posts, read 2,529,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I detest anyone who treats service people badly. I cannot stand an entitlement attitude. I came from nothing and have a lot more now, but I still remember how it feels on the other side!
Having been a waitress in my younger days I always thought everyone should wait tables at some point in their lives even if for a short time. Great life lessons to be had by waiting tables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Bringing up a lot of personal or past relationship drama when you don't know them well. That shows dysfunctional relationships are the norm for them. Run the other way.
Good point and very true!

Old 12-04-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumptacular;32468780[B
]I think your partner should be a reflection of yourself or at least what you aspire to be. [/b] If you find yourself getting involved with someone who makes jokes at the expensive of others or finds humor in other peoples losses, call them on it first. It may be a way that they process their own fear and insecurity. (Alan Alda's character on MASH would make horrible jokes, but I think it was a way for him to keep his sanity under stressful conditions). If they can't give you a good answer after a nights sleep, maybe you need to reevaluate.
Very true for me. When I met my husband about thirty years ago I needed the calmness in my life that he provided. I wasn't a bad person, just a little too stressed out. I aspired to be calmer and it didn't take long before I was.

P.S. I like your username.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:20 AM

8,567 posts, read 9,627,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Having been a waitress in my younger days I always thought everyone should wait tables at some point in their lives even if for a short time. Great life lessons to be had by waiting tables.
Amen to that! I did it for over 30 years and always thought the same thing. Except I always said they should have to do it for a year!

Old 12-04-2013, 02:15 PM

6,976 posts, read 7,746,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Flirting with other women in front of me! This doofus was spending an inordinate amount of time talking flirtatiously to waitresses when we were out. I'm not a jealous type, but the server is just trying to do her job and be friendly when he is flirting right in front of me. I could see she was nervous and trying to figure out how to react to the situation. I was irritated at him and mortified for her.

Another guy seemed to attract trouble wherever we went, unwanted attention from police, egging on road ragers, etc. There always seemed to be something troubling going on, and according to him, it was never his fault.

Another guy was of another race than me, and I always had this feeling that he was trying to "show me off" to his friends as some sort of trophy. It just gave me this creepy feeling that I cant really describe.
This ^^

Back in my younger years I was (re)dating a girl that I had dated on and off throughout high school. I took her to a fairly high-end Japanese restaurant one night, and while we were there she started blatantly flirting with one of the waiters. In my defense, I did ask her nicely to stop 3 times before I excused myself to go to the restroom and walked out the front door. I also made sure to stop and call her mother to let her know that darling daughter would need a ride home. And I went ahead and paid the bill before I left.

Funny thing is, she called me the next day completely confused as to why her behavior bothered me.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:25 PM

28,906 posts, read 46,593,274 times
Quote:
Or fast food. I did my six months at Arby's.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:59 PM

888 posts, read 911,631 times
Quote:
Very true for me. When I met my husband about thirty years ago I needed the calmness in my life that he provided. I wasn't a bad person, just a little too stressed out. I aspired to be calmer and it didn't take long before I was.

P.S. I like your username.
<deep bow> thank you

Old 12-04-2013, 04:16 PM

994 posts, read 1,260,970 times
Being too optimistic. A little optimism is a great thing, but when you never see the bad in anything and think that the sun shines out of everyone's a**, you're going to drive me insane. Same goes for Negative Nancys.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:24 PM

10,063 posts, read 13,951,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Bringing up a lot of personal or past relationship drama when you don't know them well. That shows dysfunctional relationships are the norm for them. Run the other way.
Spot on. Years back I met this really attractive girl, got the nerve up to ask her out, and in 20 minutes she tells me she is bulimic, but don't worry I only starve against the calories I have eaten never into fat Then she tells me how her ex was a horrible person that her parents had to move her out of. First and last date.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:27 PM

10,063 posts, read 13,951,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
When I was a waitress a guy was incredibly rude to me and I could see his dare cringing. He berated and kept raising hid voice. I always wondered if they were serious or if she was smart and dumped his ass.
We only care did you spit in his food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships