U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 01:20 AM

448 posts, read 619,011 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to see what people on here thought. I was thinking about this while on a very long 900 mile drive.

Using the drive as an example: I posted on Facebook that I was driving back to where I live from where I went for thanksgiving. This girl then texts me to tell me to drive safely and then a conversation ensues and she decides to stop texting me because I'm driving and wants me to be safe. She instead wants me to send her a text when I arrive, which I do but she was probably already asleep and doesn't respond.

I've been surrounded by *******s my whole life, and no one would ever go out of their way to make sure someone else is ok, so my perspective is skewed. Do people normally care this much about each other or is do most other people reserve that kind of caring for someone they're interested in? I mean I know I would never put that kind of effort into my friends, I'd probably just shoot them a text the next day asking how the trip went.

This is more of a philosophical question and less about the people involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 02:21 AM

568 posts, read 563,408 times
How close are you to her?

Old 12-03-2013, 05:42 AM

9,070 posts, read 14,956,577 times
Could vary from person to person. That said, I would think that there is a caring interest if they were concerned you arrived safely to your destination.

My wife likes me to text her every morning when I arrive at work so she can start her day knowing I arrived safely.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:57 AM

42,633 posts, read 41,368,104 times
There are many types of love.

Agape love is the type that cares without sexual implications.

The problem, as witnessed by many threads here, is that many folks for whatever reason don't understand boundaries so whenever someone of the opposite sex just makes a kind statement to them, they mistake it for interest and then they're on here asking, "He said, 'Have a nice day! Is he into me??!!"

Old 12-03-2013, 06:02 AM

3,637 posts, read 2,681,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetTroll View Post
Do people normally care this much about each other or is do most other people reserve that kind of caring for someone they're interested in?
There is no "normally" about either one. Either is just as likely as the other and without a ton more context than you have provided we can only guess at any one persons actual feelings off the back of a short anecdote.

The simple - or complex depending on your perspective - answer is that peoples affections for each other lie on continuums - not in fixed boxes - and how we express those affections in terms of concern - care - or whatever is no fixed indication of the depth or type of feelings behind it.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:54 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,464,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

The problem, as witnessed by many threads here, is that many folks for whatever reason don't understand boundaries so whenever someone of the opposite sex just makes a kind statement to them, they mistake it for interest and then they're on here asking, "He said, 'Have a nice day! Is he into me??!!"
So true....

Old 12-03-2013, 07:33 AM

4,787 posts, read 9,244,776 times
That someone tells you they are not going to continue a cyber conversation while you are driving is not a manifestation of sexual interest. It's just a casual concern for another human being. That does not equate to interest.

I've had conversations with work colleagues and wished them a safe trip home in snowstorms. Does that mean I'm in love with someone. No, it just means I wish them well and don't want to see them hurt.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced Coffee View Post
How close are you to her?
I was trying to keep this from being about our relationship and more in a general sense. I'd say we're pretty close and in general she cares a lot about me.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Right there are things that people do just to be nice and those shouldn't be taken as anything. I mean she actually seems to care about me and my safety.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:40 AM

16,487 posts, read 21,007,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetTroll View Post
Just wanted to see what people on here thought. I was thinking about this while on a very long 900 mile drive.

Using the drive as an example: I posted on Facebook that I was driving back to where I live from where I went for thanksgiving. This girl then texts me to tell me to drive safely and then a conversation ensues and she decides to stop texting me because I'm driving and wants me to be safe. She instead wants me to send her a text when I arrive, which I do but she was probably already asleep and doesn't respond.

I've been surrounded by *******s my whole life, and no one would ever go out of their way to make sure someone else is ok, so my perspective is skewed. Do people normally care this much about each other or is do most other people reserve that kind of caring for someone they're interested in? I mean I know I would never put that kind of effort into my friends, I'd probably just shoot them a text the next day asking how the trip went.

This is more of a philosophical question and less about the people involved.
It just depends on the person. I have known people that are very caring and concerned and would make those kind of statements to anyone they cared about. On the other hand,, you never know, maybe she likes you. Take it slowly, don't assume anything, and see how it works out. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships