U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 03:24 PM

12,120 posts, read 28,462,533 times

Advertisements

someone at my job (I am a guy this is a male co worker) referred to me as an unsung hero. is this an insult or a complement?

i asked my immediate supervisor why this was said and he told me "thats because you don't call attention to yourself". i thought that was reasonable

another time he called me a "tough SOB I don't care what anyone says". he said this because i have suffered the loss of both my parents, had cancer surgery last year and this year and my cancer has not spread tho there was a fear that it had spread. also i will be receiving treatment next month and will be facing side effects

its the "I don't care what anyone says" part that gets me a little. in other words, who said I "wasnt" tough? get what I mean?

this co worker does like me personally probably would like to get to know me more but i am very avoidant and negative when it comes to forming social and work relationships. i am hung up on my image and weaknesses and cannot stop it. tho i am a very nice person and everyone likes me, i also hate groups of people and too much laughter gets on my nerves. im always comparing myself to others who make more $$

im the classic example of a moody loner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 03:25 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,009,754 times
I've never seen or heard the phrase "unsung hero" used as an insult.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:29 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,490,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I've never seen or heard the phrase "unsung hero" used as an insult.
Seriously!

Odd the OP would think so....

Old 12-03-2013, 03:29 PM

42,713 posts, read 41,426,610 times
I doubt the entire workforce has been discussing whether you are tough.

I am betting he just added that on 1) to couch his comments and 2) because HE may not initially have thought you were very tough, but after getting to know a little bit about you he now knows otherwise.

I think it was a one-off. Let it go, and keep moving forward. His comments don't affect your treatment, and you have to keep your attitude focused on getting better, not distracted by false drama.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:30 PM

10,282 posts, read 11,174,268 times
I think these are meant as positive comments.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:34 PM

68 posts, read 108,483 times
It depends on the tone. If someone was saying it in a mocking tone they may mean it in a way that you are self sacrificing for ulterior motives.

Unsung hero generally just means someone who works hard and doesn't call attention to themselves.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:39 PM

257 posts, read 613,674 times
Those are both compliments, and frankly you'd need something of a persecution complex to think otherwise.

As far as the "I don't care what anybody says" part, it can either mean he has heard others speak in opposition to his view of you, or it could be intended to show he is very resolute in his complimentary view of you and won't be swayed by anybody else's opinion to the contrary. The only way you'll find out is by directly asking him.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 28,462,533 times
my mom had a persecution complex and so did my dad but id like to believe that he means well cos his tone was always good with me. and most people here say its a compliment so i will try to look on the positive side

Old 12-03-2013, 03:45 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,032,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
someone at my job (I am a guy this is a male co worker) referred to me as an unsung hero. is this an insult or a complement?

i asked my immediate supervisor why this was said and he told me "thats because you don't call attention to yourself". i thought that was reasonable

another time he called me a "tough SOB I don't care what anyone says". he said this because i have suffered the loss of both my parents, had cancer surgery last year and this year and my cancer has not spread tho there was a fear that it had spread. also i will be receiving treatment next month and will be facing side effects

its the "I don't care what anyone says" part that gets me a little. in other words, who said I "wasnt" tough? get what I mean?

this co worker does like me personally probably would like to get to know me more but i am very avoidant and negative when it comes to forming social and work relationships. i am hung up on my image and weaknesses and cannot stop it. tho i am a very nice person and everyone likes me, i also hate groups of people and too much laughter gets on my nerves. im always comparing myself to others who make more $$

im the classic example of a moody loner
Where are you from and what state do you now work in?

It sounds like the guy is actually trying to initiate a process that is sometimes referred to as "male bonding". An attempt at male bonding between, for example, two co-workers usually starts with a vague acknowledgement of one or the other potentially bonding male's skills and/or desirable or enviable traits. It's very important that said acknowledgement be vague and ambiguous; sometimes in the form of a backhanded compliment or accompanied by a mild yet overt insult. Without the "backhandedness" or mildly insulting tone, this process could be perceived by one or both parties as too similar to homosexual male bonding, which is clearly undesirable for heterosexual males and will likely affect the opposite of male bonding. If the early stages of the process are successful, this may lead to mutual consumption of alcoholic beverages and "manly discussion" about things like football, women and hunting/fishing. Male bonding is frequently characterized as an enjoyable phenomenon among heterosexual human males in spite of the ribbing, teasing and profanity that is usually involved.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:47 PM

33,836 posts, read 41,911,495 times
Some of the responses read like LCDR Data from Star Trek is writing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships