Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 12:31 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I attend only to close friends and close family. I find it ridiculous to have a wedding with 150 people. Anything over 50-75 attendees is questionable IMO.

I don't attend to weddings of neighbors/coworkers/friends of friends. I rather spend the money for dress/hair/gift on a nice weekend getaway with my partner.

Also, if they expect me to fly somewhere - they better pay me for that. Otherwise I would just say "love to come, but can't afford it." And do it right away so they have more time to plan accordingly.
That's your choice, of course. My wedding had 280 people there, and it was a blast -- but then again, i had a lot of friends from college and work, and I had grown up in a family where our parents had lots of friends -- not to mention all the relatives! I knew them all, and loved having them there. My SIL's wedding had over 500 people -- and it was a BLAST! My husband's family is very well connected in their hometown, so at one point when drawing up the invite list, they just threw up their hands and said, "Oh, hell, just invite everyone!" This was the kind of wedding that married men whose wives were out of town came to on their own -- that's how much fun this family is!

For you to expect someone to pay your airfare so you can grace them with your presence is pretty amazing. If you don't like weddings, don't go. No excuses needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 01:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Way back when, people tended to stick close to home. Being in your friend's wedding didn't include plane tickets and hotels. Things have changed. The op's friends sound a little clueless and entitled IMO.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:41 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,093 times
This is true - these days, people are scattered all over the country & it's not uncommon to be invited to a wedding that's out of town. So, for a non-close relative or "friend" I'm expected to pay the price of an expensive plane ticket, a hotel room for 1-2 nights, and take time out of my busy schedule for something like this?! S%#$# that...

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 06-05-2015 at 04:05 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 05:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
This is true - these days, people are scattered all over the country & it's not uncommon to be invited to a wedding that's out of town. So, for a non-close relative or "friend" I'm expected to pay the price of an expensive plane ticket, a hotel room for 1-2 nights, and take time out of my busy schedule for something like this?! S%#$# that...
Would you rather not be invited at all?

Old 06-05-2015, 05:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I'm betting you won't have to decline many requests.

As for the OP, you really must wait until you're asked before you accept or decline. But if you are asked, a straightforward answer, "I'm not able to do it, but I'm pleased that you felt close enough to invite me."
This is better than saying "I can't afford it"

Old 06-05-2015, 05:33 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Would you rather not be invited at all?
Yes, I would rather not be invited. At least that way I won't feel obligated to buy a gift.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:39 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
This is better than saying "I can't afford it"
What's wrong with saying you can't afford it if that's the honest reason? A close friend or family member would probably want to know why you wouldn't want to be in their wedding. Who just says "No. Can't. Sorry." and leaves it at that?

Old 06-05-2015, 06:48 PM

347 posts, read 425,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Yes, I would rather not be invited. At least that way I won't feel obligated to buy a gift.
I'm right there with you. Could care less if I don't get invited and feel relief!

Old 06-05-2015, 08:35 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,572 times
No one's wedding has ever been worth the hassle of participating. I'd never do it again, it's a pain in the rear! When I got married, I eloped in part to spare my friends the pain of this awful tradition.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:07 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,958 times
I've been in lots of weddings many years ago when they were a little simpler than they are today.

But still had many wedding showers also being in the wedding had to attend the others showers and bring a gift to those, too. Then the cost of the dress, shoes, accessories and a Wedding Gift !

Several of the couples have since divorced and one friend said she was getting remarried and wanted me in the wedding (ugh again !) I said why don't you just elope ? She had a small second wedding and I was grateful to not be part of the wedding party.

An acquitance/friend I've known for years called and asked me to be in the wedding - ugh ! We weren't close friends and was surprised she asked. She hadn't known this guy very long, I had never met him and I had, too, many things going on and said, I wasn't even sure I could make the wedding so best not to commit to being in the wedding party.
As it turns out I went to the wedding, the guy was really creepy and weird. I was so glad I wasn't in this wedding. Had I agreed and then met the groom, I wouldn't have been able to be in the wedding. A few years later my friend calls and tells me she divorcing him, I said, I'm glad to hear this and she expressed others were, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships