U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,681 times

Advertisements

I told myself that I would be as private as possible, but enough is enough. I need to know that I'm not the only one dealing with demonic in-laws. My mother-in-law made my life a living hell while I stayed in her home. She had NO respect for my newborn child and would come home drunk & high at all hours. Luckily, I found a place and we moved out. The other in-laws treat my son like pure garbage just because they heard a couple of rumors from a drug addicted con artist. He has a tendency of bad mouthing people to make himself look good. He even claimed that he was raped by his own relatives yet he's quick to accept their help. I've never done absolutely anything to these jerks. My brother-in-law's wife decided to take a nice trip when my wedding was scheduled! I didn't really understand her problem. My other sister-in-law encourages infidelity when it comes to her relatives, but condemns all others. I had to put her in her place because she was telling her version of our lives to people that don't know us. These people are so sick! I've never in my whole entire life have met such disgusting people. There's is just so much more to the story. Do you think it was the best decision to just cut them off forever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 04:35 PM

2,761 posts, read 4,139,308 times
In this scenerio, yes, cutting off such people forever would be wise.
But sometimes one can not do that with out family-political ramifications.

I would attempt to let them think things are ok, but find ways to be busy for the rest of your life when invites for social or those family members holidays/events.

But you need your s/o to support such decisions, and you two need to act as a team. If your s/o continues to socialize with those toxic people, the toxic people may try to wedge between you two.

Honestly, I would consuder moving across the country to "follow my dreams" if I were you. Of course, your s/o and child would come with you. It's an option, however, it may not be the best option, but depending on the circumstance, it may be better than the current situation.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:58 PM

16,797 posts, read 14,530,548 times
I sense a mysterious absence of a spouse in this scenario.

What is the deal with that? Did you make up this story, first time poster?

Old 12-05-2013, 05:06 PM

305 posts, read 306,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezlouis View Post
I told myself that I would be as private as possible, but enough is enough. I need to know that I'm not the only one dealing with demonic in-laws. My mother-in-law made my life a living hell while I stayed in her home. She had NO respect for my newborn child and would come home drunk & high at all hours. Luckily, I found a place and we moved out. The other in-laws treat my son like pure garbage just because they heard a couple of rumors from a drug addicted con artist. He has a tendency of bad mouthing people to make himself look good. He even claimed that he was raped by his own relatives yet he's quick to accept their help. I've never done absolutely anything to these jerks. My brother-in-law's wife decided to take a nice trip when my wedding was scheduled! I didn't really understand her problem. My other sister-in-law encourages infidelity when it comes to her relatives, but condemns all others. I had to put her in her place because she was telling her version of our lives to people that don't know us. These people are so sick! I've never in my whole entire life have met such disgusting people. There's is just so much more to the story. Do you think it was the best decision to just cut them off forever?
Damn did you not meet the relatives before you were married? As long as you're married to your spouse, you are going to be married to the entire family. Not a good situation. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Personally, I would either cut myself off from the in laws or divorce. It's not worth your mental health.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:30 PM

8,546 posts, read 5,371,964 times
sounds like a whole lot of drama going on there, just get as far away as possible.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:34 PM

35,109 posts, read 40,202,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I sense a mysterious absence of a spouse in this scenario.

What is the deal with that? Did you make up this story, first time poster?

No kidding, if this story is true it is sad and one of the biggest train wrecks on this forum.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:13 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Beggars can't be choosers. Sounds like OP had a baby b/f she and hubby could afford it and so ended up living with inlaws.

Maybe the inlaws were not thrilled about the arrangement, either. It is extremely disruptive to have an adult child at home, much less his wife and then a baby.

As far as the rest of the family being so horrible . . . why do you choose to spend time around them?

You have your "own place" now . . . live your "own life."

Old 12-05-2013, 09:16 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,723,664 times
Keep your child away from drug users and verbal abusers, put the child first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships