U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 11:39 AM

16,867 posts, read 17,184,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I think if you agreed to pay your portion of the plain-pine-box route; then that's what you pay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Unless you made an agreement with family beforehand to help with the costs, no one should be handing you a bill for anything.
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 11:59 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,762,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I think if you agreed to pay your portion of the plain-pine-box route; then that's what you pay.
You did agree to pay before it was changed. Pay what you promised and tell them "That's it That is what I promised and that's all I am paying"

Old 12-06-2013, 12:10 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,671,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
No such word as disseized.
Actually, there is. It's a legal term. But why a spellchecker would assume that's what the writer wanted is a bit odd.

disseized - definition of disseized by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:00 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,860,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Good advice regarding the original posters issue.

As was yours

Old 12-06-2013, 01:59 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,132,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I'm sorry, I try very hard to ignore poor grammar, spelling but I just have to point out in these two posts.

No such word as disseized. It is deceased. You might want to stick to "passed away".

The Wife isn't deceased, she is the deceased's Wife.

That adds nothing of substance to a serious matter involving a family death. I can just imagine the hue and cry were someone to post something like this on the Grief and Mourning Forum where you spend considerable time.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:00 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,132,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
If you agreed to pay part of the " plain pine box", then figure out what that cost would be and pay that much. That seems fair to me.
Precisely! And not a penny more nor less.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:07 PM

9,905 posts, read 9,275,007 times
I agree with everyone else. Price the "plain pine box" and send the relative your half of that. The end! Don't tell them things are tight which leads them to think you are going to pay half of the full blown deal. Just tell them or send them half of what you originally agreed to pay.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:47 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,062,384 times
I would pay what I could afford, and not worry too much about it. I know you don't want to look like a cheapskate, but to be expected to pay 1/3 of a funeral that you had no input in and was probably 5-6 times the price of a cremation is ludicrous. What would the widow have done if he didn't have brothers?

to Miss Hepburn: Willing your body to science isn't quite as easy as signing a piece of paper. The institution has a say in whether or not they will actually accept the deceased's body, depending on the cause of death or the condition of the body (i.e., grossly obese are not accepted). The remains are usually cremated in a few years, and the family can obtain the cremains, or they are interred in a university site dedicated to those remains.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:10 AM

2,717 posts, read 1,752,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
And yet another story of how irresponsible it is for people to not take care of their final arrangements before they pass away. The "Let the surviving family deal with it" plan just leads to hurt feelings and resentment. Notice how no one is talking about how great a guy the deceased was, etc.
People don't want to deal with this and would rather hide their head in the sand. They don't want to be reminded of death.

I've told my wife to find an extra large hefty trash bag and throw me in the dumpster if I go first. To me, it's just a shell and it won't matter to me anyways.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:01 AM

15,085 posts, read 11,992,787 times
Oh, in re to donating your body to science....when googled it is all explained.
You, yourself, fill out a form, prior.
I'm sure it also has info on the family desiring to donate when
it was not pre arranged and how to go about that. (That wasn't my interest, sorry.)

Everyone, good luck with family and funerals...

Btw, hefty bags aren't legal. and taking care of the burden for
our loved ones is the mature and caring thing for all of us to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships