U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 08:33 AM

2,717 posts, read 1,753,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Oh, in re to donating your body to science....when googled it is all explained.
You, yourself, fill out a form, prior.
I'm sure it also has info on the family desiring to donate when
it was not pre arranged and how to go about that. (That wasn't my interest, sorry.)

Everyone, good luck with family and funerals...

Btw, hefty bags aren't legal. and taking care of the burden for
our loved ones is the mature and caring thing for all of us to do.
Actually, I like your idea about the medical donation. I never thought of that and will look into it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 10:17 AM

16,882 posts, read 17,196,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Actually, I like your idea about the medical donation. I never thought of that and will look into it. Thanks!
A friend's father was a well respected teacher his whole life. When he arranged to donate his body to a medical school after death he felt that he was continuing to be a teacher, by helping the medical students learn about anatomy. He, and his family, felt that it was a honor to do that.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:20 AM

6,047 posts, read 21,607,832 times
I would be upfront with halfbrother and tell him that you agreed to pay half (or whatever) for a simple casket and burial, and that is all you can afford. If he chose to upgrade things, that was his choice and he needs to take responsibility for that portion. But if you agreed to help with the costs then I feel you still should. I would just estimate as best as you can, what it would have cost you if he had done things the way you both had originally agreed upon, and send your portion of the cost.

Also FYI regarding medical body donation - this is not available everywhere, particularly in rural areas. I work in healthcare and have had people request this. Sometimes I can successfully facilitate the body being donated, and sometimes the body is rejected based solely on the fact that the deceased is too far out in a rural area, during a time when the need for donations is not very high. I don't want to dissuade anyone from going that route, but be aware for those of us in rural areas, it is not a guaranteed thing. Some agencies are more upfront about this factor than others.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:16 PM

2,702 posts, read 3,714,109 times
Well here is my 2 cents... You have not had contact with the half brother that died for 43 years.. And the other one no contact in 10 years, except a cpl times..

I would tell them nope I ain't paying anything but what I agreed on to begin with (although I myself would NEVER have agrred to anything, since the one who died was more or less a stranger to me)

And if they balked at me paying what I originally agrred to, I would tell them to SIUTA and never think about it again.....

I have no patience with people (relatives, half relatives, strangers or friends) when it comes to things they should have had a handle on......

Old 12-07-2013, 01:46 PM

12,070 posts, read 12,400,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I think if you agreed to pay your portion of the plain-pine-box route; then that's what you pay.
That's fair. Half of a pine box and an hour's backhoe time, plus half the burial plot, since that's what you agreed to.

Personally, I would have cremated him. Once he's dead, his religion means nothing. However, you agreed to follow his last wishes. As I see it, your obligation ends with a pine box and a patch of dirt.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:27 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,676,581 times
Submit what you promised to pay and no more than that. Simply say, I wish you would have checked with me before you committed to doing all of this and you could have told him then it wasn't feasible for you financially.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:29 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,986,466 times
Well it would actually be spilt between 7 people 4 have already said they can't pay. I didn't see the other Brother that died because he was in prison all his life if that means anything. Prison let him lose soon as he got sick because they didn't want to deal with it.

We paid $250 the day he told us on the Bill.

brushrunner

Old 12-07-2013, 07:55 PM

5,703 posts, read 16,127,345 times
Quote:
Aw, too bad more people don't know about donating their body to
the nearest Medical University.
They pick up the body and in a month return the ashes to you with a
representative that speaks at the Mem Service thanking the family so much.
Free.

Just google it. So simple and care free.
Actually it is not. A relative of mine is a hospice nurse and often her patients are extremely poor and decide to go this route. The problem is the family then find out (after the death) that donating a body is not as easy as one would think. Bodies are often rejected, they don't take every person willing to donate themselves. Then the family have unexpected expenses they didn't count on.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:19 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,064,443 times
Quote:
Oh, in re to donating your body to science....when googled it is all explained.
You, yourself, fill out a form, prior.
I'm sure it also has info on the family desiring to donate when
it was not pre arranged and how to go about that. (That wasn't my interest, sorry.)
Umm . . . look. Please stop making it sound like donating a body is as easy as turning in a library book. It isn't, and you obviously have had no experience in this, if you can just breezily say, "Oh, google it!" You aren't "sure" of anything, and you do a disservice by creating false impressions of the process.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:55 PM

6,266 posts, read 3,382,849 times
Default I wouldn't pay ....

I went along with this sort of thing, and regret it to this day. If you didn't consent to this and they didn't consult you, tell them they decided, so they pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships