Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,452 times

Advertisements

Ok my Half Brother Passed couple months ago, knew for over a year he had little time left in this world, didn't make any arraignments said let his Brothers worry about it Fine your being cremated same as me for the same reasons I'm cheap.

He tells other Half Brother he don't want to be cremated because he was afraid if he was he wouldn't go to Heaven Ok fine other Half Brother says Plain Pine Box, Wrap the Body, bury no ceremony within 24 hours. Yea this is ok I can still pay my part.

Few days later Half Brother calls says there is going to be a Funeral at the Cemetery in couple days Didn't ask but what happen with Plain Pine Box?

Get to the Cemetery there is the Hearse, Preacher, Regular Coffin the whole nine yards. After service Half Brother says lets go to local Restaurant for Dinner. Get there, no sooner set down, he lays Funeral Bill on the Table, says this is your share. Says disseized Brothers Wife can not afford anything, his adopted Father can't afford anything because he has Hospital Bills At the time I'm thinking I just got out of my second round of being in the Hospital this year and I don't have Hospital Bills.

Ok I'll admit I was in shock with this and at time really didn't know what to say. Last month he called wanting to know when I was sending money? Told him things were tight which wasn't a lie and I didn't know when I could get any money to him,

Ok truly feel he was wrong putting this on me and don't feel I should pay a Dime. Hadn't had relationship with disseized Brother for 43 years, hadn't had relationship with other Brother in 10 years and that was only once a year for Christmas at Moms.

Thoughts??

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 10:01 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Since you were not contacted regarding the change of plan I myself would not pay anything toward the final arrangements.
That is me though but I probably would not have agreed to pay anything from the start since there was no relationship for many years.
It is up to the deceased Wife to pay for his funeral and unless you signed an agreement I doubt you can be held legally responsible for the bills.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Ok my Half Brother Passed couple months ago, knew for over a year he had little time left in this world, didn't make any arraignments said let his Brothers worry about it Fine your being cremated same as me for the same reasons I'm cheap.

He tells other Half Brother he don't want to be cremated because he was afraid if he was he wouldn't go to Heaven Ok fine other Half Brother says Plain Pine Box, Wrap the Body, bury no ceremony within 24 hours. Yea this is ok I can still pay my part.

Few days later Half Brother calls says there is going to be a Funeral at the Cemetery in couple days Didn't ask but what happen with Plain Pine Box?

Get to the Cemetery there is the Hearse, Preacher, Regular Coffin the whole nine yards. After service Half Brother says lets go to local Restaurant for Dinner. Get there, no sooner set down, he lays Funeral Bill on the Table, says this is your share. Says disseized Brothers Wife can not afford anything, his adopted Father can't afford anything because he has Hospital Bills At the time I'm thinking I just got out of my second round of being in the Hospital this year and I don't have Hospital Bills.

Ok I'll admit I was in shock with this and at time really didn't know what to say. Last month he called wanting to know when I was sending money? Told him things were tight which wasn't a lie and I didn't know when I could get any money to him,

Ok truly feel he was wrong putting this on me and don't feel I should pay a Dime. Hadn't had relationship with disseized Brother for 43 years, hadn't had relationship with other Brother in 10 years and that was only once a year for Christmas at Moms.

Thoughts??

brushrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Since you were not contacted regarding the change of plan I myself would not pay anything toward the final arrangements.
That is me though but I probably would not have agreed to pay anything from the start since there was no relationship for many years.
It is up to the deceased Wife to pay for his funeral and unless you signed an agreement I doubt you can be held legally responsible for the bills.
I'm sorry, I try very hard to ignore poor grammar, spelling but I just have to point out in these two posts.

No such word as disseized. It is deceased. You might want to stick to "passed away".

The Wife isn't deceased, she is the deceased's Wife.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:00 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,528 times
If this scenario were to happen to me, I would just be frank and tell your family your feelings and I would not pay a penny. My husband's family is big.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:07 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
I think if you agreed to pay your portion of the plain-pine-box route; then that's what you pay.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:55 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I think if you agreed to pay your portion of the plain-pine-box route; then that's what you pay.
I second this. The other family members should pitch in a small amount, as well.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:57 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
I suppose it depends on your relationship with these people from this day forward. If you want to keep in touch you'll end up having to pay. Don't want to pay? Then either cut all ties or expect to hear about it forever.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than I had agreed to. They got suckered in by the funeral home who probably misled them into thinking they were not allowed to bury him the way you wanted.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Aw, too bad more people don't know about donating their body to
the nearest Medical University.
They pick up the body and in a month return the ashes to you with a
representative that speaks at the Mem Service thanking the family so much.
Free.

Just google it. So simple and care free.

Oh, and I would pitch in my share for the price of a cremation...not what was
"Pulled on you" all of a sudden....not in this economy.
You don't pay "nothing".

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 12-06-2013 at 06:44 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 06:34 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I'm sorry, I try very hard to ignore poor grammar, spelling but I just have to point out in these two posts.

No such word as disseized. It is deceased. You might want to stick to "passed away".

The Wife isn't deceased, she is the deceased's Wife.

Good advice regarding the original posters issue.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:36 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
just do what you are able to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships