Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:11 AM

24,560 posts, read 10,869,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Aw, too bad more people don't know about donating their body to
the nearest Medical University.
They pick up the body and in a month return the ashes to you with a
representative that speaks at the Mem Service thanking the family so much.
Free.

Just google it. So simple and care free.

Oh, and I would pitch in my share for the price of a cremation...not what was
"Pulled on you" all of a sudden....not in this economy.
You don't pay "nothing".
Most charge nicely for that service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 07:17 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Just tell him you are sorry you can't pay that. You didnt agree with it, you dont have the money to. Just like everyone else in the family who couldnt afford it.

Not your problem.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:18 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
If you agreed to pay part of the " plain pine box", then figure out what that cost would be and pay that much. That seems fair to me.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:31 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Who was in charge of making the funeral arrangements? Seems like it would be the wife. Whoever made the arrangements should be responsible for paying the bill, but if you had agreed to pay X amount for the cheaper version I would just chip in the amount for the original arrangements that you agreed to.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:36 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
And yet another story of how irresponsible it is for people to not take care of their final arrangements before they pass away. The "Let the surviving family deal with it" plan just leads to hurt feelings and resentment. Notice how no one is talking about how great a guy the deceased was, etc.

I agree with others that say you should just pay for part of the "plain box" like you originally agreed to, and then be done with it. They sprung the more expensive changes on you without your consent.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:13 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Ok my Half Brother Passed couple months ago, knew for over a year he had little time left in this world, didn't make any arraignments said let his Brothers worry about it Fine your being cremated same as me for the same reasons I'm cheap.

He tells other Half Brother he don't want to be cremated because he was afraid if he was he wouldn't go to Heaven Ok fine other Half Brother says Plain Pine Box, Wrap the Body, bury no ceremony within 24 hours. Yea this is ok I can still pay my part.

Few days later Half Brother calls says there is going to be a Funeral at the Cemetery in couple days Didn't ask but what happen with Plain Pine Box?

Get to the Cemetery there is the Hearse, Preacher, Regular Coffin the whole nine yards. After service Half Brother says lets go to local Restaurant for Dinner. Get there, no sooner set down, he lays Funeral Bill on the Table, says this is your share. Says disseized Brothers Wife can not afford anything, his adopted Father can't afford anything because he has Hospital Bills At the time I'm thinking I just got out of my second round of being in the Hospital this year and I don't have Hospital Bills.

Ok I'll admit I was in shock with this and at time really didn't know what to say. Last month he called wanting to know when I was sending money? Told him things were tight which wasn't a lie and I didn't know when I could get any money to him,

Ok truly feel he was wrong putting this on me and don't feel I should pay a Dime. Hadn't had relationship with disseized Brother for 43 years, hadn't had relationship with other Brother in 10 years and that was only once a year for Christmas at Moms.

Thoughts??

brushrunner
Unless you made an agreement with family beforehand to help with the costs, no one should be handing you a bill for anything.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:51 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Aw, too bad more people don't know about donating their body to
the nearest Medical University.
They pick up the body and in a month return the ashes to you with a
representative that speaks at the Mem Service thanking the family so much.
Free.

Just google it. So simple and care free.

Oh, and I would pitch in my share for the price of a cremation...not what was
"Pulled on you" all of a sudden....not in this economy.
You don't pay "nothing".
I checked into this on myself. First off I weigh too much, second after they are through the Family has to pay for cremation.

We did this with my sister at that time all we had to pay was $200 transportation fee.

brushrunner

Old 12-06-2013, 10:56 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I'm sorry, I try very hard to ignore poor grammar, spelling but I just have to point out in these two posts.

No such word as disseized. It is deceased. You might want to stick to "passed away".

The Wife isn't deceased, she is the deceased's Wife.

Believe it or not Spell Check changed it on my post. Sorry I didn't catch it.

brushrunner

Old 12-06-2013, 10:58 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
A lot people out there don't know that you can just get a simple burial insurance policy that has nothing to do with a life insurance policy. I took one out on each of my boys a few years ago at around 26 dollars a month on each policy. I hear this from my coworkers and i'm talking about people in their 40s and 50s who have told me they didn't know that. they told me they thought you had to get life insurance and that would be included. if you don't make out your final arrangements at least have a burial policy so the family who are left behind have something to work with, anything is better than nothing at all. my mom had a 10 grand policy that she was paying on for many years and the policy was paid up at the time of her death. with 10 grand we were able to put her away very nice the way she wanted and still 15 hundred left over after everything. the insurance company later sent me a check for the portion of the policy that was left over. you can get burial policy in the range from 5 to 12 grands and make small monthly payments.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:58 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Ok my Half Brother Passed couple months ago, knew for over a year he had little time left in this world, didn't make any arraignments said let his Brothers worry about it Fine your being cremated same as me for the same reasons I'm cheap.

He tells other Half Brother he don't want to be cremated because he was afraid if he was he wouldn't go to Heaven Ok fine other Half Brother says Plain Pine Box, Wrap the Body, bury no ceremony within 24 hours. Yea this is ok I can still pay my part.

Few days later Half Brother calls says there is going to be a Funeral at the Cemetery in couple days Didn't ask but what happen with Plain Pine Box?

Get to the Cemetery there is the Hearse, Preacher, Regular Coffin the whole nine yards. After service Half Brother says lets go to local Restaurant for Dinner. Get there, no sooner set down, he lays Funeral Bill on the Table, says this is your share. Says disseized Brothers Wife can not afford anything, his adopted Father can't afford anything because he has Hospital Bills At the time I'm thinking I just got out of my second round of being in the Hospital this year and I don't have Hospital Bills.

Ok I'll admit I was in shock with this and at time really didn't know what to say. Last month he called wanting to know when I was sending money? Told him things were tight which wasn't a lie and I didn't know when I could get any money to him,

Ok truly feel he was wrong putting this on me and don't feel I should pay a Dime. Hadn't had relationship with disseized Brother for 43 years, hadn't had relationship with other Brother in 10 years and that was only once a year for Christmas at Moms.

Thoughts??

brushrunner
Here's your problem...the minute your brother laid that bill out and said "here's your half" you needed to react quickly and firmly and say

"I only agreed to a simple pine box, not all the arrangements YOU went ahead and made on your own. Sorry I can only give you what I was planning to spend on a cremation."

Since you didn't say that, and then later on the phone you basically agreed to send him money he now thinks you "owe" him and has likely convinced himself you agreed to pay whatever you had to all along

So even though you are going to create hard feelings, you need to be clear and honest with him now (because you really can't give him what you don't have).

You call him and say, sorry for any misunderstanding but I was only ever going to be able to contribute $200 to this burial and I'll get that to you as soon as possible. Then do it and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships