U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 12:16 AM

6,415 posts, read 9,916,525 times

Advertisements

The "deceased" are not literally dead. In body, yes. In spirit, no. They absolutely can hear everything their family and friends are saying. In heaven, there is a portal where they go to watch and listen to all the major events of their relative's lives here on Earth. Including their own funeral. So I would think twice about your assumptions.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:20 AM

9,905 posts, read 9,276,008 times
I would really blow you away. I go to the cemetery, take my little canvas stool and sit down and talk with my mom and dad. Clean off their stones, replace the flowers if needed.

When my mom passed away I got up early and the funeral director let me into the funeral home. I spent time with my mother and yes I talked to her and I did the same thing with my dad.

Pictures I don't do. My husband's grandmother lost a son when he was in his early 20's. The first time I visited, hanging in her living room was a huge (16x20) picture of her son in his casket. It shocked me and later I said something to my m-i-l (it was her brother in the picture.) After that for whatever reason the picture would be removed when I visited. But they had scrapbooks with pictures of people in their caskets (family members) and pictures of the flowers, even the open hole gravesite. That family loved to take pictures of the deceased. Not me but if that is what people like, I have no problem with it. I just like to go through my pictures when the person was alive.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:01 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,293,192 times
I can see talking to the dead body before other people arrive, or at the gravesite but not when other people are watching.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:37 AM

15,123 posts, read 11,998,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The "deceased" are not literally dead. In body, yes. In spirit, no. They absolutely can hear everything their family and friends are saying. In heaven, there is a portal where they go to watch and listen to all the major events of their relative's lives here on Earth. Including their own funeral. So I would think twice about your assumptions.
Yay, someone finally said this, unless I missed it.
Thank you.

And good for you, CarolinaWoman!

I thought it was common knowledge 'they' can see it all.
Like the little ('dead') girl that came to a psychic, speaking in an auditorium....
Once identifying who she came for...told the lady in the audience (who had run her over)
She really liked the teddybear she left on her grave, thank you.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:57 AM

7,496 posts, read 9,714,122 times
I don't care how people commemorate their deceased relatives.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:16 AM

4,827 posts, read 7,244,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I went to a funeral home yesterday to pay respects to an old friend who had died. There were lots of people "hanging out" by the deceased sitting so peacefully in his casket. I noticed two interesting things I had never seen at a wake before:

1) A number of people stood over the body for the longest time and spoke to him like he was alive. A long speech directed at him because of course he could not talk back.

2) A number of people took pictures of Andy, the deceased, lying in his casket.

Are these proper things to do at a wake at a funeral home?

I had an ex-boyfriend many, many years ago (at least 30 years ago). He was an alcoholic. On two different occassions, we had to attend wakes of people we knew who died. At BOTH he had to make a big scene of talking to the body and then decides to PAT THE BODY! Not like just touching the hands or something, but PATTING the hands hard and you could hear the hollowness of the body and the body moved because he was patting it hard. Of course, he was putting on this scene to make it all about HIM and how much he "loved" the deceased rather than it being about showing respect for the deceased and their family. EMBARASSING because you could hear people gasping and whispering. Of course, I couldn't say anything because he, in his alcoholic haze, would make an even bigger scene.

Picture taking? No. I find that creepy, morbid, and disrespectful. Why would you need a photo of someone dead in their casket?!?!?!? I would rather have a photo of them alive and happy.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:19 PM

4,193 posts, read 3,060,260 times
Talking to the deceased, as they lie in rest, is no different than talking to the deceased as they lie in their grave.

And there's nothing inappropriate about either one, IMO. People need to grieve in their own ways.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:43 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,673,713 times
When my young nephew died, his younger brother took a picture of him in the casket on my SIL's cell phone. When she saw it she flew off the handle and thought my brother did it. My other nephew told her it was him and because all his friends couldn't come to the funeral he took it. She told me he also sits on the end of the bed and talks to the picture in the phone like it was really Jim. I told her maybe she could find a way to print off the picture for my nephew then she could delete if from her phone. She just didn't want to take away something that helped him. I, myself couldn't even look at him in a casket and didn't.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:21 PM

4,193 posts, read 3,060,260 times
Quote:
The "deceased" are not literally dead. In body, yes. In spirit, no.
Agreed.

Quote:
They absolutely can hear everything their family and friends are saying. In heaven, there is a portal where they go to watch and listen to all the major events of their relative's lives here on Earth
I've never heard this, although I've often wondered if they have knowledge of Earthly people/events. Can you point me to a Scripture or some other resource where I can begin researching it? Tanks.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:39 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,986,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
People grieve in different ways. I think the photo taking is a little starnge, but don't find talking to the deceased strange. You figure there are probably many person in that mans life that never got to say their last goodbyes to him, and they know this is the last time they will ever see him. Personally despite the person has passed I believe they know in spirit what is said, just my thoughts. If I lost anyone really close to me I am certain I would want to talk to them when we had time alone, not in the middle of a wake.
Me I can grieve so much, talk and or touch

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships