Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 03:46 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,104,727 times

Advertisements

Your mother's Italian - and I suppose you are also then - and you don't know why she'll worry about her unmarried 40 yr old son forever?! Come on, that's what Italian mothers DO! You have no woman in your life so she HAS to worry about you or she will be kicked out of the Italian Mama's guild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 04:08 PM

50 posts, read 143,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Does she work for a living? Maybe you're all she has to occupy herself with. She might not have all that much control over her grandchildren since their parents are taking care of them. Since she's not with your father, it's not as though she can make plans to go out to dinner or dancing or travel.
She has worked but not anymore. She feels like I don't have anyone to take care of me, I think. As if I needed a woman to take care of me hahaha.

She has a very good social life with her friends but she always seems to find time to worry about me.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Your mother's Italian - and I suppose you are also then - and you don't know why she'll worry about her unmarried 40 yr old son forever?! Come on, that's what Italian mothers DO! You have no woman in your life so she HAS to worry about you or she will be kicked out of the Italian Mama's guild.
I'm Swiss-Italian. My father is a Swiss German but my German name wouldn't be a good user name.

I suppose my mother never got used to the extremely important Swiss value of privacy, even after all these years of living here.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonzoGia View Post
She has worked but not anymore. She feels like I don't have anyone to take care of me, I think. As if I needed a woman to take care of me hahaha.

She has a very good social life with her friends but she always seems to find time to worry about me.
It sounds to me that you already know why your mother says these things . . . she is worried about your not having a spouse and a family/children.

Does it bother you that your mother worries about you? Does she obsess or just ask questions about your social life, your health, etc?

I think most mothers always want to know their adult children are living happy, healthy lives.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:34 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,278 times
She must not have better things to do.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:54 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
First of all, she is a Mother, and secondly, she is Italian. Those two things add up to a Mom who will never cut the cord.

Don

Old 12-07-2013, 08:23 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,160,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonzoGia View Post
Because I'm almost 40 and I've never been married.
She is obviously wondering why you're almost 40 and not married - and she may be thinking "is he gay?"

Since she and your father divorced, the focus of her "attention" - your father - is gone. You inherited that position, because you're her only son who isn't married or attached long-term to a woman.

Also, have you ever considered that she may be wanting grandchildren?

Old 12-07-2013, 08:24 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,160,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
First of all, she is a Mother, and secondly, she is Italian. Those two things add up to a Mom who will never cut the cord.

Don

Will never, or can never?

Old 12-07-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
She is obviously wondering why you're almost 40 and not married - and she may be thinking "is he gay?"
She knows my personality better than anyone. She should know why I won't marry.

Quote:
Since she and your father divorced, the focus of her "attention" - your father - is gone. You inherited that position, because you're her only son who isn't married or attached long-term to a woman.
We were always the focus of her attention, it just got more intense after she and my father separated

Quote:
Also, have you ever considered that she may be wanting grandchildren?
She already has 4 grandsons from my elder brothers.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:12 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,235 times
Standard response: you can't change the person, only how you react to them.

Acknowledge and deflect?

Mama: "here you are 40 YEARS OLD! and still not married! I worry so for you!"

You: "I know you worry, Mama. Hey, I heard you and Mrs. Canneloni had an awesome <insert social event>! How did that go?"

Basically, acknowledge that she has those concerns, then send the conversation in a different direction. Lather, rinse, repeat. You aren't going to be able to change her worries; she probably thinks she'll wear you down, eventually, and you'll do as she wishes. If you are settled on your life, all you can do is acknowledge that you've heard the conversation for the 1 zillionth time, then show that you aren't interested in discussing it further by changing the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships