U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:10 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,407,110 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry I could not get past a Fleming's summoning security without laughing. It's a decent restaurant, but still a chain. That said, I know people who have gone to top restaurants with dress codes in clothing that violated it, wearing expensive boots and jeans, like my cousin's boyfriend who is from Dallas, yet resides in NYC now. It's the faux snobbery of the staff who summoned security who could not recognize that someone wearing Lucchese is not exactly out of place, regardless as to the rest of his attire, though that particular location's staff is not well versed in fine footwear. In my experience, even when there is a dress code that is enforced, a fine restaurant or club has staff who are never rude when enforcing policies.

The maitre d' was incorrect in his handling of the situation. Proper customer service includes not only not alienating the public, but not making other patrons uncomfortable by creating a scene at the front of the house. Calling security is creating a scene, and makes one think that the location has to have bouncers to keep people out of the restaurant, which would, in turn, make me feel skittish as a patron, as that imparts an unease -- that I was missing some nuance of the location or clientèle attracted to that particular location. If someone is woefully out of dress code, that's why there are bar tables, and staff who can politely explain the dress code that they have to enforce, yet not make someone feel unwelcome. Then again, that's a subtle difference when dealing with an independently owned restaurant versus a chain, where the independent is exceptionally well managed. However, it was a nice gesture to make amends by comping the meal, which speaks to the integrity of the manager.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 11:33 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,384,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
I'm sorry, but your behavior was purposefully tacky, and then to top it off you're pitching a fit over being called on your tackiness. Flemings is an upscale restaurant/steakhouse. It's not a McDonalds or the eat-in cafe at the local K-mart. You had on stone-wash jeans, a ratty t-shirt, cowboy boots and a shark-tooth necklace? Seriously?

Even the local Dairy Queen in a town of 2,000 people in the middle of Nowhere-ville has a "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" sign hanging in the window.

OP, read every post this person has typed. He's hit the nail on the head every time.
I'd suggest you read every post, in particular the first one The one in which the OP said he wore "nicely pressed jeans with a nice shirt (not collared though)."

And yet you have the temerity to claim someone else is making things up?

Old 12-11-2013, 05:19 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,534,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I'd suggest you read every post, in particular the first one The one in which the OP said he wore "nicely pressed jeans with a nice shirt (not collared though)."
I suggest you read the posts that followed where the OP elaborated on what he was actually wearing...

Old 12-11-2013, 05:23 AM

16,482 posts, read 21,073,633 times
I don't think it was appropriate to assume you lost your way and were in the wrong place, they should have at the least asked you if you had a reservation. You did however know this restaurant was upscale and you knew people would be dressing up to go there. If anything I think your partner should have been embarrassed that you were dressed the way you were. Lesson learned hopefully.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:09 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,787,112 times
So the OP came and pulled his girl out of her job and went to a restaurant knowing he was dressed inappropriately. Sounds like the kind of guy would be happy with his free meal and take home left overs. The"front man "should be fired.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:26 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,425,236 times
Again, as someone who has worked in the industry for many years, I find many of the details of this tale.....hard to believe.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:27 AM

3,965 posts, read 4,606,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
So the OP came and pulled his girl out of her job and went to a restaurant knowing he was dressed inappropriately. Sounds like the kind of guy would be happy with his free meal and take home left overs. The"front man "should be fired.
I wasn't dressed inappropriately. The manager himself admitted while there is a TENDENCY amongst patrons to dress more formal it isn't required and that they welcome all patrons regardless of outfit and treat them with respect. The frontman didn't do that and it wasn't the first time it happened so he got the axe. I didn't go in there trying to get a guy fired and get a free meal. I just wanted to have a nice dinner with my girl. I know shoot me. I just give the manager a lot of credit for being fair and doing what is right. Hopefully he brings his ride by my shop so the boys can look after him as he did for me.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:40 AM

When you say "frontman", who do you mean exactly?

Old 12-11-2013, 08:41 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,712,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Again, as someone who has worked in the industry for many years, I find many of the details of this tale.....hard to believe.
Me, too. There are probably elements of truth in it, but the OP's contention that he simply strolled into a restaurant and was chucked out by security is just way too hard to swallow. Even if the basic sequence of events happened the way it did, there's got to be some actions/words on his part that pretty much prompted matters. In fact, I've been in a Flemings a couple of times and have never seen a security guard. While it's not a Beard finalist or anything, it's really not that kind of place.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:49 AM

I've comped meals before (though generally, comping a portion of it is much, much more common), but literally never annoucned that before the guests ordered. It's way too much of a crapshoot to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships