U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 04:51 PM

7,643 posts, read 8,090,637 times

Advertisements

I didnt read the entire thread because......well.....it's too long and Im too lazy. That said, people have been prejudged for years and will continue to be prejudged.

I worked at Radio Shack in the late 80's/early 90's. Husband and wife come in, he in duct taped boots and she in polyester shorts and tank top. Everyone ignored them. I wasnt even paying attention and the guy approached me wanting to buy a computer. He wanted to finance. I decided wht the hell and ran his credit. He was approved for $2500 and blew the whole thing on a computer.

Fast forward to 2002 I walked onto a Chevy lot in sweats and a t-shirt. EVERYONE ignored me except one dude who was obviously the bottom of the barrel. Dude was still hung over from the night before and even still smelled like booze. I bought a brand new Monte Carlo SS that day. Too bad everyone ignored me.

Point is........it has happened in the past and will happen into the future. Want to avoid it? Dont buck conventional wisdom. Want to buck conventional wisdom? That is your right and more power to you. I dont want to hear it when you have problems though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 07:49 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,011,914 times
Upscale is OK, but snobby is a no-no. If I'm paying $200+ on dinner for two, I better not so much as hear or see anything sassy or uppity from anyone working in the restaurant.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:57 PM

38,690 posts, read 88,986,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHowdy View Post
Wow...I cant believe how nasty some of you are being wow . . .
Let's just say when the tide goes out, it comes back in...

Old 12-11-2013, 08:16 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,352,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
No. You weren't singled out. You wore jeans and a shirt to a formal restaurant that has an implied dress code. You remind me of the guy who came to my wedding, which was black tie and specified so on the invitation, in a short sleeve Hawaiian shirt.
What you wore was tacky and you knew better. And you got a free meal, probably a decent one. Get over it.
So you had the security guards toss him out of your wedding?

Old 12-11-2013, 09:57 PM

30,509 posts, read 33,322,731 times
I'm also too lazy to read all the pages but I'm doubting it went down this way. There is either more to it, or someone is embellishing for dramatic purposes. The manager telling you that the employee has done this before is a giveaway. I don't care either way.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:37 AM

14,248 posts, read 7,857,449 times
OK so I read the entire thread. It was very nice of you to take your girlfriend out on a whim to a nice place. I think you should marry her and let her dress you like most of us do with our fashion challenged husbands. I've been dressing mine for years. He's not going out there in public with me looking like Boo Boo the Fool. I think calling security on you was a tad extreme and wrong, no matter how ugly those shark tooth necklaces are. Sorry, I don't find those the least bit attractive. Seriously, marry the girlfriend. She sounds like a keeper.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:58 AM

24,757 posts, read 33,859,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I decided to surprise my partner at her job by sending some flowers to her today. Then I came and pulled her out of her job. Her higher up was very cool and let me snag her. I know him because he is a common customer at the auto shop I help run. Anyway, I surprised her by taking her out to Fleming's Steakhouse tonight which I had a reservation planned.

We arrived at the restaurant. If you guys aren't familiar with Fleming's it is more of an "upscale" restaurant where you dress formal but I just decided to where nicely pressed jeans with a nice shirt (not collared though). None of the whole overly formal suit and slack stuff though my partner dressed lovely then again she came to the restaurant straight from work. She stayed back to go grab something she forgot when walking up so I walked in by myself.

I stood there waiting to be brought to our table but the frontman asked whether "we had lost our way". I politely said no but before I could say anything else, he interrupted me and requested security to see me out. My partner walks in asking what is going on. The security officer and the manager came up to the front and asked what was going on. The frontman was like "this......man won't leave the restaurant". I told the manager that I had a reservation. He asked me whether the doorman requested my name for a reservation and I asked the doorman did he. The doorman said yes. The manager told him not to lie because the camera already recorded the entire thing. He then confessed that he didn't so I gave the manager my name and he pulled up the reservation and apologized. He then sat us to a more private table and told us our meal was on the house.

I was embarrassed and felt bad for my girl who had to go through all that to be honest. I just wanted to be spontaneous and have a good evening with her. Without being part of a scene in front the other patrons. I made sure to get the biggest steak on the menu and a bottle of wine. I took the plate of leftovers home with a few toothpicks and boy was it good. I did see the frontman get called over by the manager but I don't know what happened to him. The manager did mention that this wasn't his first time doing this. It's a pity that was. Anybody else been prejudge by anyone ever?
Yeah..........all the time.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:23 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,399,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm also too lazy to read all the pages but I'm doubting it went down this way. There is either more to it, or someone is embellishing for dramatic purposes. The manager telling you that the employee has done this before is a giveaway. I don't care either way.

Agreed. The OP should have quit while he was ahead.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:55 AM

43,403 posts, read 52,393,689 times
I'm confused.
If other people were casually dressed in the restaurant, then what exactly was the op pre-judged on?

Old 12-12-2013, 03:33 PM

324 posts, read 366,278 times
They have security for Flemming's? Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships