Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 09:12 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I've comped meals before (though generally, comping a portion of it is much, much more common), but literally never annoucned that before the guests ordered. It's way too much of a crapshoot to do that.
Seriously-- "then we'll have everything on the menu, please, kind sir."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 09:16 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
From what I read your T-shirt was against dress code.But he should have said sorry we require a shirt with collar not handle it the way he did tho. The manager handled it well. Yes we are judge by appearance just as you thought the boot brand made a difference seemingly.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:23 AM

775 posts, read 1,259,201 times
No. You weren't singled out. You wore jeans and a shirt to a formal restaurant that has an implied dress code. You remind me of the guy who came to my wedding, which was black tie and specified so on the invitation, in a short sleeve Hawaiian shirt.
What you wore was tacky and you knew better. And you got a free meal, probably a decent one. Get over it.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
No as I was still at my table.

Who said it was unopened? It wasn't and it was partially consumed. They poured a glass up for my girlfriend and we left it after she took a small sip of it. They re-corked it and put it in a bag which the manager himself put it in my trunk. He said there were some laws but I'm not familiar with them.

It wasn't uncorked. Go back and tell me where I said it was uncorked.

No I'm not. You're seeing stuff.

Oh noes! What should I do?

There is no dress code.

If only your lack of belief could undo reality then I would be quite impressed.
Obviously, I have no way of knowing what, if anything, happened at that restaurant. Nevertheless, your story doesn't sound true, or at least not completely true. You've still never said why you think the guy wanted to call security in the first place. He was just a loose cannon who tried to throw every 100th customer out of the restaurant? You said you were dressed and groomed appropriately. It's just unclear how the whole episode unfolded.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:46 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
That truly would be the work of science fiction. That would be some Stephen King stuff. I'm sorry to disappoint you but there were others wearing jeans and others wore T-shirts. The majority was in formal clothing. You have to be too thick to understand. Others doesn't equal to full. So yeah, you're calling me a liar yet you're reading comprehension is the equivalent to a turkey.
Your OP was about bring "prejudged". If you wore that getup into an upscale restaurant, then you simply don't have any right to complain as to how others perceive you. I don't think the behavior of the "front man" is really relevant. Other patrons that dressed in the same manner as you, probably are used to it and in fact don't give a damn as to how people see them. I would prefer to not join that mindset, personally.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:59 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Quote:
That truly would be the work of science fiction. That would be some Stephen King stuff. I'm sorry to disappoint you but there were others wearing jeans and others wore T-shirts. The majority was in formal clothing. You have to be too thick to understand. Others doesn't equal to full. So yeah, you're calling me a liar yet you're reading comprehension is the equivalent to a turkey.
What do you consider formal clothing?

Old 12-11-2013, 10:40 AM

53 posts, read 83,354 times
Never, ever, walk into any place and proceed to stand around waiting to be served. Walk right up to the first employee you see and state the reason for your presence -- to make a purchase, to comply with your reservation, to meet your appointment, to find the bar, whatever. You've got the pesos, so politely and clearly announce it.

When I lived in NYC, I used to walk to fancy restaurants without a jacket because of the summer heat. These places required patrons to wear a jacket. I simply walked up the the maitre d', stated that I was there for my reservation, and told him what size jacket I needed to borrow.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:59 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
The mandatory coat-and-tie dress code has gone way of the dinosaur, even in NYC.

Fine dining is still alive and well and while the majority of patrons who are spending $1K on a tasting menu for 2 at Eleven Madion Park or Le Bernadin tend to dress more formally, no one is handing you a used jacket at the hostess stand anymore. The only place I can think of that has a stated dress code is the 21 Club. I have a feeling you'd see more dress codes in New Orleans or other more "genteel" places rather than New York these days.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:31 PM

21 posts, read 28,573 times
You dressed poorly. No excuse.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:47 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Sigh.

Why do people think its okay to rock shorts in a place where the atmosphere is decidedly more formal?

I am a black man from the 'hood. When I was growing up I learned very quickly that lots of decisions about me were made based on how I presented myself. Before I even opened my mouth, mental calculations were being made about my level of income, education, likelihood to cause trouble, my background, my ability, etc. Whether or not I agreed with this, I decided not to allow such superficial things to speak for me. I started to change the way I dressed and how I presented myself. I was determined to get ahead and the presentation I chose (because I CHOSE it) was either going to help or hinder me. And I succeeded.

There is a concept of appropriateness. Some people would go to a job interview in flip flops. That's not typically appropriate but certain clueless knuckleheads would choose this. Some people think that they are "getting away" with something or that their personal comfort is more important than conveying that you are a person to be trusted and taken seriously. Personally, I am embarrassed when I see people with no clue how their presentation is hindering them, but I think that I am in the minority.
My guess is that this attitude has taken you out of the 'hood, and you're probably a successful person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships