Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 07:51 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times

Advertisements

My MIL was a huge problem in my life because she apparently resented that her only child married. Yes, we were too young, but I don't think it would have mattered no matter what age. I was 17 and he was 20. I was dumb as a sack of rocks, but her baby boy was dumber. So many of the mother-in-law jokes show the wife's mother as the bad one, but in my opinion, it is likely to be the husband's mother. Over the years of checking into it, I'm sure of my findings. Even if the son is of age, mothers still have a harder time letting go than they do with daughters. How was your situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 08:18 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I LOVED my husband's mother - God rest her soul. And she love me as a daughter.

I experienced ZERO difference in "letting go" my daughter and my son. And both of their spouses have told me and others that I am being a good MIL.

I don't think you can make a blanket statement just because you personally had a bad experience.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:03 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
My statement is not based on only my experience. I checked extensively over the years and made my conclusion from research. Seems like you are making your opinion based on your experience. My mother was a good mil to my husband, but not to her son's wives. I've discussed this at length for many years. I think the ratio is 4 to 1.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:14 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
I think you are right that there is more often than not FRICTION of some kind between women and their MIL . . . but I do not think the problem lies exclusively with the MIL and her "hold" on her son.

Some DIL treat their MIL like crap.

And what I always thought was kind of funny . . . someone can demonize their MIL or their DIL and it is really THEY who are the problem (judgmental, obsessive, controlling, etc).

I try to tell young women as well as new MIL that we should always remember: every MIL had a MIL. Every DIL has a Mother. All of this plays into the situation . . . it isn't always just about the Mother-Son relationship.

Just throwing that into the mix, RUBI. Good topic!!!

Old 12-10-2013, 09:30 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
My statement is not based on only my experience. I checked extensively over the years and made my conclusion from research. Seems like you are making your opinion based on your experience.

Well, of course I am! That is how it is done.

What I am NOT doing is making sweeping generalizations based on my experience.
And I am not calling it extensive research.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:20 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,482 times
My MIL and I had some difficulties.

I think what is at the core of some of the MIL-DIL issues is that the husband/son doesn't set clear boundaries for the relationship, or address situations as they come up.

Of course if I could have done things over with my MIL I would have definitely addresses things differently. I used to have a very hard time telling her no. I don't think she was wrong necessarily..just different in what her expectations were.

My MIL is no longer living. Now I have a step-MIL of sorts.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:14 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
I get along with my MIL. My MIL and I are a lot alike so that helps.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:17 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
I experienced a lot of friction with my MIL but I see from the distance of age that it my perception. I was very young and not emotionally able to handle her, I had a lot of growing up to do. We are still not best friends but the drama is long over.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:16 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
My MIL was a huge problem in my life because she apparently resented that her only child married. Yes, we were too young, but I don't think it would have mattered no matter what age. I was 17 and he was 20. I was dumb as a sack of rocks, but her baby boy was dumber. So many of the mother-in-law jokes show the wife's mother as the bad one, but in my opinion, it is likely to be the husband's mother. Over the years of checking into it, I'm sure of my findings. Even if the son is of age, mothers still have a harder time letting go than they do with daughters. How was your situation?
Um... so yeah... mothers love their kids more than their kid's spouses...Big Surprise.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:40 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt chick View Post
well, of course i am! That is how it is done.

What i am not doing is making sweeping generalizations based on my experience.
And i am not calling it extensive research.
plus++++++
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships