U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 09:17 AM

29,191 posts, read 15,346,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I agree. What is the big deal?
Some people seem to believe that giving you a Bible is essentially the worst insult anyone can think of, while others marvel at this notion.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:58 AM

248 posts, read 266,567 times
Religious people are mentally ill. Only in this one area can you 'talk to someone who isn't there' and get a pass on the strait jacket.

Think of it this way - it's like he's sending you some of his Valium. And you're perfectly within your rights to ignore family members that are more work than they're worth.

And to all the religious people who are going to object to me categorizing them as mentally ill, forget it. I believe in the tooth bunny and the Easter fairy, and no amount of reason can convince me otherwise.

'Jesus died for your sins'??? What an unabashedly sick idea...

Old 12-12-2013, 10:00 AM

43,469 posts, read 52,484,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I'm obviously not religious. I never go to church. My brother and family are very religious. He had to mail me something and sent a bible in the package too.

I find this highly inappropriate and kind of creepy. We don't really talk because he is someone I have just been tolerating and I got tired of wasting my energy on keeping up relationships I don't enjoy. Anyway, I'm not sure what to do. I haven't said anything about it, but I feel a little harassed, since it's obviously unwanted contact, that is being pushed on me. I find this disrespectful and condescending. How do I keep this kind of thing from happening again?
Felix,

First of all, I hope you don't really think this is a "problem."
Also, I remember thinking like you and that anyone "forcing" me to be exposed to an idea I didn't like was just so terribly, terribly offensive.

It's nothing. Let it go. Get on with your life.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:09 AM

568 posts, read 847,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Felix,

First of all, I hope you don't really think this is a "problem."
Also, I remember thinking like you and that anyone "forcing" me to be exposed to an idea I didn't like was just so terribly, terribly offensive.

It's nothing. Let it go. Get on with your life.
He isn't being forced. Does his brother have a gun to his read demanding him to read it? No.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:36 AM

12,544 posts, read 12,484,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Some people seem to believe that giving you a Bible is essentially the worst insult anyone can think of, while others marvel at this notion.
And some people simply refuse to consider that others may have ongoing discord with family members for which this particular incident is just a symptom, and instead prefer to zero in on the religulousness of it because apparently they want the whole world to give their holy book some special accord. Those people really should get over it.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:28 AM

23,587 posts, read 33,333,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
He isn't being forced. Does his brother have a gun to his read demanding him to read it? No.
Does not mean his brother has a right to push his ideas when the OP has made it clear he ain't having it.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:35 AM

8,080 posts, read 13,431,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
And some people simply refuse to consider that others may have ongoing discord with family members for which this particular incident is just a symptom, and instead prefer to zero in on the religulousness of it because apparently they want the whole world to give their holy book some special accord. Those people really should get over it.
Actually the OP is giving it "special accord"
A lot of posters are saying regardless of what you think of the Bible, why the big deal..
Donate it, give it away, throw it away..
If it were another book imagine this thread..

I requested some papers from my brother and he included a book about traveling to Iceland.
He loves that place but he should know that I have never shown any interest in going there..
How incredibly rude, pushy , insensitve. It's so arrogant of him to think he knows where I should travel.
He thinks his travel plans are so much better than mine and that my travel interest are wrong and need help..It's just plain inappropriate & creepy...

The OP & others who think this Bible gift is so unforgivable are the ones that are giving it "special accord"!!

Old 12-12-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalfire View Post
Religious people are mentally ill. Only in this one area can you 'talk to someone who isn't there' and get a pass on the strait jacket.

Think of it this way - it's like he's sending you some of his Valium. And you're perfectly within your rights to ignore family members that are more work than they're worth.

And to all the religious people who are going to object to me categorizing them as mentally ill, forget it. I believe in the tooth bunny and the Easter fairy, and no amount of reason can convince me otherwise.

'Jesus died for your sins'??? What an unabashedly sick idea...
So, you would believe that Arthur Schawlow, a Nobel laureate in physics for his work on lasers, is mentally ill?

How about Nobel laureate chemist Derek Barton?

How about Nobel laureate Dr. Joseph Murray, who pioneered organ transplants and anti-rejection drugs?

There are a whole bunch of great minds that believe in a deity.

The church I used to attend in Houston (Second Baptist) had a lot of well known doctors as members. I met a two neurosurgeons there as well as the team physician for the US ski team. There are millions upon millions of brilliant people out there that believe in a deity.

IMHO, believing that the hydrogen and helium expelled from the big bang can eventually be turned organic with enough heat, pressure and time (yes, I know that's being simplistic, but it still conveys the point) and render the emotions of fear and love is just as ridiculous as believing in God.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
The OP made this thread about the "religulousness" of the incident by singling out the Bible aspect. As a matter of fact, there is very little detail in regards to the OP's persecution by his/her family other than a couple of comments that may have been tacky but nothing overboard. It seems to many here that this thread was just an attention grabber using a topic known to elicit strong emotions and debate. It was quickly escalated by the militant atheists who seem to love nothing better. The fanatical atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who, in there grudge against the traditional 'opium of the people', cannot bear the music of the spheres.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:53 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,051,610 times
A bible would be a truly inappropriate gift for someone that WAS religious. You would already have one, and favor a particular translation, or have one from someone very special in your life. He was obviously giving it to you to try to spare you from eternal damnation, a mute point, apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships