Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 08:52 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,702,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I'm obviously not religious. I never go to church. My brother and family are very religious. He had to mail me something and sent a bible in the package too.

I find this highly inappropriate and kind of creepy. We don't really talk because he is someone I have just been tolerating and I got tired of wasting my energy on keeping up relationships I don't enjoy. Anyway, I'm not sure what to do. I haven't said anything about it, but I feel a little harassed, since it's obviously unwanted contact, that is being pushed on me. I find this disrespectful and condescending. How do I keep this kind of thing from happening again?
Send him back a copy of the Qur'an, or better yet, a book by Richard Dawkins. That would send a message loud and clear.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:11 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,545,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
they basically want to kill all gays, abortion providers and recipients...it just really annoys me.
You remind me of the extremists on the other side that believe all gay men want to rape little boys.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Send him back a copy of the Qur'an, or better yet, a book by Richard Dawkins. That would send a message loud and clear.
Nothing beats some tit for tat, huh? Best thing to do is to escalate the situation, right? Maybe the OP should go kill his brother's dog. Yeah, that would really get him.

Is it so surprising that our society is so dysfunctional and violent?

I've had friends that would get bumped in the bar, assume that it was an attentional challenge to their manhood and then try to get in a fight to teach that jackhole a lesson. Don't f' with me.

IMG_0793.MOV - YouTube

Old 12-13-2013, 09:36 AM

399 posts, read 684,326 times
Quote:
I'm surprised that someone wouldn't understand why it would be obvious that a sibling is not religious.

I don't go to church, same as other non religious people.
I don't talk about religion, same as other non religious people.
I don't have a religion, same as other non religious people.

Seriously, do most immediate family members not know if they are religious or not?

If I were religious (christian), I'd already have a bible. If I'm not, why would I want one?

Part of what is in the bible is to spread the word of God. That is what he is doing. He cares about you and wants you to be his 'brother' in God's family as well. He wants to see you in heaven, silly! To enter God's kingdom, you first accept his word in your life. And He wants us to spread his word! Even if you don't believe, your brother does and is practicing discipleship. That's all.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:41 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,195,404 times
What a waste of time being upset by this whole thing. 1st world problems indeed. Lighten up OP.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:55 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,702,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Nothing beats some tit for tat, huh? Best thing to do is to escalate the situation, right? Maybe the OP should go kill his brother's dog. Yeah, that would really get him.

Is it so surprising that our society is so dysfunctional and violent?

I've had friends that would get bumped in the bar, assume that it was an attentional challenge to their manhood and then try to get in a fight to teach that jackhole a lesson. Don't f' with me.

IMG_0793.MOV - YouTube
Wow, projecting there a little aren't you? I simply suggested that he give his brother a taste of what he had dished out. This tends to work well with religious zealots. Usually the mere mention of a competing religion will send them in to an absolute frenzy.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Wow, projecting there a little aren't you? I simply suggested that he give his brother a taste of what he had dished out. This tends to work well with religious zealots. Usually the mere mention of a competing religion will send them in to an absolute frenzy.
Speaking of projecting. The religious people that I know wouldn't get bent out of shape if someone shared an opposing religious idea with them.

And if you remember, it is an atheist who started this thread because of being in an absolute frenzy.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:15 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,642,126 times
If I was in that position, I'd probably just ignore it entirely.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:20 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,095,114 times
Quote:
I'm obviously not religious. I never go to church. My brother and family are very religious. He had to mail me something and sent a bible in the package too.

I find this highly inappropriate and kind of creepy. We don't really talk because he is someone I have just been tolerating and I got tired of wasting my energy on keeping up relationships I don't enjoy. Anyway, I'm not sure what to do. I haven't said anything about it, but I feel a little harassed, since it's obviously unwanted contact, that is being pushed on me. I find this disrespectful and condescending. How do I keep this kind of thing from happening again?
I'm an atheist and own the Quran, the Bible, the Tibetan Book of the Dead, the Bagavad Ghita, etc. Knowledge is power. I consider these books to be reference books. You might find a use for it some day - one never knows. And if you do find it weird, insulting, then send him the Quaran as a gift.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:30 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,174,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
25 pages later and the OP has not been seen or heard from since the first post...Hmmm

Yes, he has. He explained the history between his brother and himself and why this latest shot across the bow was so irritating, discussed options of what he might do (some very obviously facetious, although the hypersensitive/those with broken sarcasm detectors took him seriously), and disclosed that he's most likely not going to do anything that involves responding to his brother and will probably just throw it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.