U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 02:05 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,301,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I'm obviously not religious. I never go to church. My brother and family are very religious. He had to mail me something and sent a bible in the package too.

I find this highly inappropriate and kind of creepy. We don't really talk because he is someone I have just been tolerating and I got tired of wasting my energy on keeping up relationships I don't enjoy. Anyway, I'm not sure what to do. I haven't said anything about it, but I feel a little harassed, since it's obviously unwanted contact, that is being pushed on me. I find this disrespectful and condescending. How do I keep this kind of thing from happening again?
Don't take it too hard. He is just doing what he thinks is right. Religions are supposed to "spread the word", and some take it more seriously than others.

Thank him and tell him that you donated it to a homeless shelter so that they could benefit. Tell him you appreciate his concern but that you would prefer not to receive those kinds of gifts in the future.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-10-2013, 02:11 PM

29,211 posts, read 15,356,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
LOL.

Funny to see the obvious lines in the sand here.

I bet anyone Christian who was sent a copy of the Quran by a relative for whom that is their main religious text wouldn't find it so pleasant either.

It's a subtle form of disapproval with intent to convert/save the OP.

And yes, it's insulting.
I'm a Christian, and if a friend or family member sent me a Quran, I would neither be offended by it or throw it away.

I'd understand they sent it to me because they cared enough to do so even though it probably wasn't something they found to be easy.

Then again, I'm not the type looking to be offended so I can get extra drama in my life.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:14 PM

177 posts, read 350,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Mailing a Bible is shoving it down his throat?

Let's say your a doctor from the US that travels to a remote village in Tibet. There is an illness going around the village caused by a parasite in their water that has recently appeared due to the climate in the area becoming warmer. The villagers feel that they have done something wrong and are being punished for it. Whenever you try to explain to them that if they'd boil the water prior to drinking it, the illness and deaths will stop; however, they feel that your explanation that it's not caused by a deity but from something they can't see is making it worse. Do you continue to try to help them understand or just walk away letting more die?

Disagree all you'd like about the message, but Christians feel the same as the doctor. They feel that they can save your afterlife if you'd just give them a chance. Let's just say that Christianity is complete poppycock. The fact remains that the brother feels that he is essentially saving the OP's immortal life. Would it really be better if the brother of the OP could care less what happens to him? IMHO, it's much more cold and hateful to know that you have a cure for a disease, but not offer it to your loved ones. If you just look at it from the brother's perspective you'll get it. He's doing it out of love and concern, not contempt. You don't try to cure someone who you don't care about.

It would be one thing if the brother was telling the OP he's going to hell and trying to turn the rest of the family against him, but it's quite another if he's just mailing a Bible and asking if he wants to go to church or doing a blessing before a meal.

Additionally, the Bible does call for you to try to bring others to Christ. It also says that if they continue to refuse, to let them be.

The question is if you believe you can cure your brother and keep him from dying, when do you give up? If you're a non-believer, think of it in medical terms, not spiritual, because to a believer they are essentially the same.
Do you feel that way about all religions, or just Christianity?

A lot of people have their beliefs. Some people believe in fairies and goblins. Doesn't mean that I have to give their beliefs the time of day. Especially if they don't respect my right to not believe.

I honestly believe that religion is fake and that followers are brainwashed. If I took the opportunity to send literature of that sort to my religious father, I bet he'd be offended. Even though I honestly believe I'm trying to save him.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:14 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,891,714 times
I doubt that.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeneric13 View Post
Do you feel that way about all religions, or just Christianity?
It's pretty much true of all religions. The practitioners truly believe they are helping others when they bring that religion to them. The opposite of love is indifference.

Quote:
A lot of people have their beliefs. Some people believe in fairies and goblins. Doesn't mean that I have to give their beliefs the time of day. Especially if they don't respect my right to not believe.
I have no interest at all in soccer. I find it boring. But if I have a friend who invites me to his home every few weeks to watch a soccer match, I'm not going to be offended and cut him out of my life.

If I have a friend who is a Muslim and invites me to Mosque from time to time, I wouldn't throw him out of my life either.

I once briefly dated a girl who refused to hang out with me at a friend's home. She saw he had a couple of mounts in his den, asked if he owned guns, and when he said he had them in his safe, she wanted to leave. She said she was afraid of guns and knowing they were in there made her extremely anxious. I guess some people have this same reaction to religion.

Quote:
I honestly believe that religion is fake and that followers are brainwashed. If I took the opportunity to send literature of that sort to my religious father, I bet he'd be offended. Even though I honestly believe I'm trying to save him.
Yep, and if I told my friend that soccer was stupid and only Eurotrash and illegal aliens cared about it, I'm sure my friend would be offended as well.

Furthermore, if your father was happy attending church, had lots of friends there and did fun activities, what exactly would you be saving him from? That just makes no sense.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:33 PM

177 posts, read 350,224 times
If you don't get the point of respecting other people's feelings, wishes and boundaries, then there is nothing more I can say.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:35 PM

12,145 posts, read 12,438,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I'm obviously not religious. I never go to church. My brother and family are very religious. He had to mail me something and sent a bible in the package too.

I find this highly inappropriate and kind of creepy. We don't really talk because he is someone I have just been tolerating and I got tired of wasting my energy on keeping up relationships I don't enjoy. Anyway, I'm not sure what to do. I haven't said anything about it, but I feel a little harassed, since it's obviously unwanted contact, that is being pushed on me. I find this disrespectful and condescending. How do I keep this kind of thing from happening again?
Send him a copy of Thomas Paine's The Age of Reason.

The Age of Reason - Buy Cheap Books at HotBookSale.com

Old 12-10-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
If you don't get the point of respecting other people's feelings, wishes and boundaries, then there is nothing more I can say.
No problem Sheldon, I'll stay out of your seat.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:38 PM

8,232 posts, read 6,107,501 times
Some translations are great works of literature. I think that even non-religious people might benefit from reading it, purely from a historical and cultural perspective. It pertains to much in modern society.

Think of it this way; your brother probably loves you. He probably loves his faith and Church. He probably wants you to have the same experience he has. You aren't a religious person, and don't go in for it. I get it. Don't be offended. This isn't "harassment." Harassment would be constantly trying to convert you despite your obvious wishes not to, haranguing you about going to hell, etc. Don't say anything. It might be convenient to have it around at some point. Put it on the shelf or in a drawer. If it really bothers you, give it away.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Send him a copy of Thomas Paine's The Age of Reason.

The Age of Reason - Buy Cheap Books at HotBookSale.com
Let's say you have two brothers, one is religious and the other is an atheist. Each brother wants to "convert" the other brother to his way of thinking.

The religious brother wants to convert the atheist brother for fear of what might happen after his brother's death.

Why would the atheist brother want to convert his religious brother?

Studies show that people of religion tend to be happier, healthier and live longer. - Why Religion Is Linked With Better Health And Well-Being

Additionally, people of religion tend to have more friends. - Why Religion Makes People Happier (Hint: Not God) | LiveScience

So, I see a reason why a person would want to convert their brother to their religion, but I'm not seeing the reason to convert one away from a religion. (Mainstream Christian, Muslim, Hindi, etc); so, what purpose would sending The Age Of Reason be other than to antagonize? Do you believe the brother of the OP was sending the Bible strictly to antagonize him?

Sure, if the intent of the Bible was just to antagonize the OP, I can see him being upset, but was that the true purpose of the gesture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships