Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:48 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,741,921 times

Advertisements

I'm obviously not religious. I never go to church. My brother and family are very religious. He had to mail me something and sent a bible in the package too.

I find this highly inappropriate and kind of creepy. We don't really talk because he is someone I have just been tolerating and I got tired of wasting my energy on keeping up relationships I don't enjoy. Anyway, I'm not sure what to do. I haven't said anything about it, but I feel a little harassed, since it's obviously unwanted contact, that is being pushed on me. I find this disrespectful and condescending. How do I keep this kind of thing from happening again?

Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I'm obviously not religious.
Looks like it is NOT as obvious as you think!

What would you do with ANY book you are gifted that you are not at all interested in?
Do that with this one.

I do not see how you are harassed, disrespected or condescended to, just by receiving a book. Sounds like there is much more going on with the relationship if that truly is the case....

Old 12-10-2013, 12:02 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,005 times
Why dont you read it. Particularly those sections discussing forgiveness.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:06 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
I would lighten up if this was bothering me. He obviously cares about you.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Looks like it is NOT as obvious as you think!

What would you do with ANY book you are gifted that you are not at all interested in?
Do that with this one.

I do not see how you are harassed, disrespected or condescended to, just by receiving a book. Sounds like there is much more going on with the relationship if that truly is the case....

I'm surprised that someone wouldn't understand why it would be obvious that a sibling is not religious.

I don't go to church, same as other non religious people.
I don't talk about religion, same as other non religious people.
I don't have a religion, same as other non religious people.

Seriously, do most immediate family members not know if they are religious or not?

If I were religious (christian), I'd already have a bible. If I'm not, why would I want one?

Old 12-10-2013, 12:07 PM

191 posts, read 262,546 times
Sheesh. People online just get worse and worse. My goodness.

Anyways...i know exactly how you feel. About the energy thing and everything.

Just explain (in writing?) that he's actually just driving you farther and farther away...from the lord or whatever....or, toss the book / return to sender. Seems like he's just using a bible to insult you further. Which is sad.

I'm currently being stalked by my family too so I know how it feels. Some people really are genuinely evil. not that that's the case with you but...

There's not much you can do short of moving and/or getting a restraining order...which I've put some serious thought into...

Sorry that you're having to go through this. Family is supposed to be there supporting each other...no matter what. They should be uplifted by the successes of one of their own. You know?

Unfortunately, many times its the exact opposite.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:08 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I'm obviously not religious. I never go to church. My brother and family are very religious. He had to mail me something and sent a bible in the package too.

I find this highly inappropriate and kind of creepy. We don't really talk because he is someone I have just been tolerating and I got tired of wasting my energy on keeping up relationships I don't enjoy. Anyway, I'm not sure what to do. I haven't said anything about it, but I feel a little harassed, since it's obviously unwanted contact, that is being pushed on me. I find this disrespectful and condescending. How do I keep this kind of thing from happening again?

So write him a note and tell him that you are not religious, you do not appreciate his attempts to bring the Bible into your life and you wish no further contact from him. Then mail it all back to him.
Problem solved, no more bibles, no more brother "that you just can't bother with".

7,413 posts, read 6,227,294 times
He wants a relationship with you, the word of God is the best way for him to show that.

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
I would take it as he is trying to start a dialogue with you. Religion is evidently an important part of his life, and so from his perspective he's reaching out to you. You, of course, have a different perspective. Religion isn't an important part of your life, and it's not something you wish to connect over with your brother. I would donate the Bible to a local church, hospital or nursing home. And if he should ask you about it, I would tell him that you donated it to someone you thought could use it more.

While you may have little in common with your brother, family is family. Disrespect and violated boundaries are part of having a family. We can all try to set boundaries, but the people most likely to violate our boundaries are family members.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Why dont you read it. Particularly those sections discussing forgiveness.

I don't rely on fictional religious book to tell me what to do. I naturally forgive people after some time. I forgive, but that doesn't mean I should also continue unproductive relationships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships