Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Christmas, I will be:
With extended family or friends enjoying myself 31 22.79%
With just my immediate family 42 30.88%
With just my spouse or SO 20 14.71%
All alone, I have no one to spend the day with 43 31.62%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 05:58 AM

769 posts, read 976,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
"God, let this day be over soon so I can go back to my regular routine! Look at all these people, why aren't they opening presents at Grandmas house? They can go to a movie any day, what are they doing here today? They have someone! I am jealous of these people! Why wasn't I born into their family? They seem to be so happy being together. I COULD HAVE been with someone on Christmas instead of sitting in a movie theatre ALL ALONE seeing a show I am not really interested in. But I just don't like my cousins and Aunt. But why didn't they invite me this year, maybe it was an oversight. They don't seem to like me. I would rather just be alone than being with those people!"

Are you really from this planet or do you live in an alternate universe where you think all single people are just moping around on Christmas day feeling sorry for themselves.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:10 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I live in a small town where the only place open is a convenience store where drunks/druggies hang out and the nearest city is 2 hours away on a suicidal highway.

For X-Mas and New Years I will probably just order takeout pizza and listen to late night talk radio.

Which highway is suicidal highway?

Is there any good talk radio that is throughout the country? I want to check out "Coast to Coast".

Old 12-15-2013, 06:27 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
I find it interesting how few of the people responding to the poll spend Christmas Day with extended family. The media and common wisdom says that nearly everyone is with a large extended family group engaged in joyful conversation on Christmas Day.

I noticed the isolation of an ever increasing number of Americans when my wife and I went to a movie last Christmas and the local theatre that is usually dead, even on a Saturday evening, was busting at the seams full of people. Every show was sold out. I also saw a large number of people sitting alone.

Here is what I pictured was going through the minds of these isolated people as they sit all alone in a movie on Christmas Day:

"God, let this day be over soon so I can go back to my regular routine! Look at all these people, why aren't they opening presents at Grandmas house? They can go to a movie any day, what are they doing here today? They have someone! I am jealous of these people! Why wasn't I born into their family? They seem to be so happy being together. I COULD HAVE been with someone on Christmas instead of sitting in a movie theatre ALL ALONE seeing a show I am not really interested in. But I just don't like my cousins and Aunt. But why didn't they invite me this year, maybe it was an oversight. They don't seem to like me. I would rather just be alone than being with those people!"
And perhaps, someone was looking at you and your wife.....an elderly couple sitting all alone in a movie theater on X-Mas......thinking:

"Look at that poor old couple, no family to spend X-Mas with.... poor old dears....such a shame."

Old 12-15-2013, 06:30 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Quote:
And the truth of the matter

Finally a day off in which I don't have to go anywhere or do anything. I can finally get to see this movie that I have been looking forward to and there won't be a bunch of kids whining and talking through the film. I love going to the moves in Christmas day. The other people who are here must feel just like me. Other people have to endure a day with family they don't enjoy and I get to have the whole day to myself. It was nice of my cousin/aunt/friend to invite me to their family gathering for Christmas. How fortunate I am to have wonderful friends, who are accepting of who I am and don't pressure me to join in when I have declined. I must make sure they know I appreciate them even though I much prefer to follow my own tradition of having a quiet and peaceful holiday to myself.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:43 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
And perhaps, someone was looking at you and your wife.....an elderly couple sitting all alone in a movie theater on X-Mas......thinking:

"Look at that poor old couple, no family to spend X-Mas with.... poor old dears....such a shame."

I know, right?

Given the OP's dreary description of Thanksgiving, it doesn't seem that a loving family Christmas at Grandma's was in the cards anyway. Instead, the two of them are alone together at the movies on Christmas day. That's sort of sad.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:50 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
In my travels around town I see lots of people all alone who seem so isolated and lonely.
Lots of married people who are alone/lonely too! Don't assume that because someone is married or visits family they aren't lonely or alone. Huge misconception there.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:01 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Why don't we ask this question:
"'WHY' do you bother to celebrate Christmas at all?" You're not actually celebrating Christmas if all you're concerned with is opening presents and eat until you pass out! (FYI).

Those who are alone, are probably better off being alone from all this non sense carnival Christmas has turned into.
Getting into debt to buy presents that will be enjoyed for all of 10 minutes, pretend to have conversations that really mean nothing...I despise all holidays, but Christmas takes the cake, with it's fakeness and ridiculousness that it has become.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:18 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsechick71 View Post
Are you really from this planet or do you live in an alternate universe where you think all single people are just moping around on Christmas day feeling sorry for themselves.
No kidding, ill probably be single this Christmas (im talking to someone, but nothing official) and it hasnt bothered me a bit. I look at Christmas as more of a child's holiday, watching them enjoy the gifts and whatnot is enough to bring a smile to my face. If your an adult worried about being alone on Christmas day/New Years, do you worry about being alone on the other 363 days a year?

As for family, well some years its probably in your better interest that you dont see them .

Old 12-15-2013, 08:27 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Why don't we ask this question:
"'WHY' do you bother to celebrate Christmas at all?" You're not actually celebrating Christmas if all you're concerned with is opening presents and eat until you pass out! (FYI).

Those who are alone, are probably better off being alone from all this non sense carnival Christmas has turned into.
Getting into debt to buy presents that will be enjoyed for all of 10 minutes, pretend to have conversations that really mean nothing...I despise all holidays, but Christmas takes the cake, with it's fakeness and ridiculousness that it has become.
I kinda agree with you, but for kids Christmas is a big deal for them and thats who I mostly buy gifts for. Adults who complain about being alone for Christmas or not getting gifts, get a grip. Your not alone in a nation of 300 million people and if your employed you can buy the things you whine to everyone about not getting on a particular day in December.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:19 AM

501 posts, read 801,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Do any of you only feel lonely when you're among others but not at all when you're actually alone? I would feel more alone among family I don't connect with than spend Christmas Day alone. How about you guys?

Absolutely. I never fit in with them or their nonsense anyway so spending the holidays alone is just like any other day ending in y.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships