Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:00 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,715 times

Advertisements

When you are newly retired, like me, you might like to think about friends and relatives from the past that you just don't talk to anymore. In most cases there was no blow up, but instead we just drifted apart.

So I decided to try to reconnect and developed a nice letter that we sent to everyone, along with a Christmas card. I wrote a personal note to everyone on the card and included a report on what my wife and I have been doing this year in a copied letter. I sent it to about 100 people. About 3/4 of them we did not talk to last year for some reason but we had been close to at one point.

Do you send a holiday card and letter to old friends you have lost touch with? If you got such a card from an old friend you had not talked to for years, how would you respond?

Last edited by I'm Retired Now; 12-16-2013 at 08:09 AM..

Old 12-16-2013, 08:18 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,025,773 times
At Christmas it seems people often send cards to those they otherwise don't talk to all year. If you want to reconnect with someone, I think a personal and handwritten notecard at some other time of year would be the way to do it.

If I was on the receiving end of said Christmas card, after I read it and thought "thanks for the update", I probably wouldn't give it another thought unless I really desired to reconnect. People whose friendships I value, I don't let just drift apart.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:23 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Rebound cards.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:29 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
Having stopped sending Christmas cards years ago, it would depend on whether I wanted to reconnect or just leave it as is.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:48 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I would enjoy getting it and would most likely make an effort to reconnect throughout the year. I do this with old friends who are spread far and wide by way of periodic emails. I would not choose to mail Christmas cards to 100 people, because of the expense and also because I might not have a correct address.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:49 AM

22,569 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

Do you send a holiday card and letter to old friends you have lost touch with?
Nope.
But we do send to friends and family with whom we have minimal contact.

Quote:
If you got such a card from an old friend you had not talked to for years, how would you respond?
I would wonder why.

And re: the letter... what I thought would depend on the contents and context. Bragging about your wonderful life after ignoring me for years would not fly right....

Old 12-16-2013, 09:50 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
OP, just because you are retired and bored doesn't mean, other people feel the same.

They might not have time to read your (probably long) story about yourself.

I wouldn't read it if it is longer as a paragraph.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
I no longer send out Christmas cards, except to clients. But strangely, we have a handful of folks who persist in sending us Christmas cards, even tho we don't reciprocate and haven't in 10 years.

And what is really crazy . . . they are all people who want to use us as a freebie B&B even though we have never spent one night in their homes. Yet, they continue to send us cards at Christmas to "stay in touch" (so we will host them for days in our home). So superficial - like we don't get why we receive those Christmas letters and cards from these otherwise "absent" friends and family members. We have a vacation home, so the requests come in for both our primary residence and our vacay spot.

They should not waste their stamps this year; we are selling the primary residence, moving into a condo and starting this year, no one will be staying in our mountain house without paying . . . oh well.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by brokensky; 12-16-2013 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-16-2013, 10:28 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times
I used to send out Christmas cards because it was something I enjoyed. Selecting a pretty card, printing coordinating labels and writing a message in coordinating ink. And then the pretty Christmas stamps. I put a lot of heart in my Christmas cards. And I typically received an equal amount to what I sent out.

One year, time got away from me and I wasn't able to send Christmas cards. That year, I received only one or two cards. So I thought "Were they sending me cards only because I sent them one?"

I put a lot of time, effort and considerable expense into my Christmas cards, and I felt like it wasn't appreciated so I stopped. I still get a few cards from friends, but they are mostly the non-personal, photo montage, printed cards from shutterfly (or someplace similar).

Old 12-16-2013, 10:46 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,443,479 times
Quote:
When you are newly retired, like me, you might like to think about friends and relatives from the past that you just don't talk to anymore. In most cases there was no blow up, but instead we just drifted apart.

So I decided to try to reconnect and developed a nice letter that we sent to everyone, along with a Christmas card. I wrote a personal note to everyone on the card and included a report on what my wife and I have been doing this year in a copied letter. I sent it to about 100 people. About 3/4 of them we did not talk to last year for some reason but we had been close to at one point.

Do you send a holiday card and letter to old friends you have lost touch with? If you got such a card from an old friend you had not talked to for years, how would you respond?
If they don't provide an email address the odds are against my sending them any sort of return mail. It's just a giant pain to try to mail something and expect a reply in a timely manner.

If I wanted to get in touch with an old friend, I'd look for them on Facebook to see if I could find them. Then I'd send a message and a friend request. If they didn't do FB, I'd search around for an email address or even give them a call. At the worst, I'd leave a message.

If you really want to reconnect with some of the people you sent cards to, give them a call a few weeks after Christmas. Don't expect a letter back unless it's from some other Luddite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships