U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 12:37 PM

7,361 posts, read 13,177,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Actually not. Ignoring for a moment that this whole thread and the thread that preceded it are shameless fabrications, they have made for a bit of interesting discussion. If this were real, the "child" is 24.

Generally speaking...

The mother's ability to open a child support claim is done when the child reaches the majority. From the yarn that has been spun, we can presume the mother never filed for support or listed the father on the birth certificate, as she insisted the "child would never know who the father was".

On the subject of paternity, unless it was established when the child was a minor, the mother has no legal right to paternity information anymore. In most states, the adult son is now too old to file for paternity testing either.

So basically, they're all **** out of luck if they are looking for a judgment for compensation or forced paternity testing from any court.

Not necessarily. There is such thing as retroactive child support. Each state has different rules as to how it'll be done; some states will not give a full 18 years payment amount.

The OP already stated that he is listed on the birth certificate and that he gave the mother a (couple) thousand dollars before disappearing-- acts which will be used against him in the court of law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 12:41 PM

15,121 posts, read 13,361,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
not much to add except - frankly I don't remember a damn thing from when I was in Kindergarten. How do people remember? Maybe only traumatic events, but at age 5?
I remember a traumatic event that happened when I was 2.

I ran into the corner of a wall and split my forehead open.

I remember riding in the backseat of a car, my head in my dad's lap.

I remember them rolling me up in a sheet like a mummy, eyes, nose, mouth covered, nothing bare but my forehead, so they could keep me still and stitch me up.

I still have the one inch scar at the very top of my forehead.....at least it's smack dab in the middle.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:52 PM

2,288 posts, read 2,607,711 times
True story or not, I'm glad it was posted. If this "story" changes the mind of ONE potential dead beat selfish dad, it'll be worth us wasting our time.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:59 PM

12,984 posts, read 15,324,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

I remember them rolling me up in a sheet like a mummy, eyes, nose, mouth covered, nothing bare but my forehead, so they could keep me still and stitch me up.

I still have the one inch scar at the very top of my forehead.....at least it's smack dab in the middle.
Now that's called a papoose board!!

I remember a lot from when I was as young as 3.

My daughter claims to remember sitting in her infant swing. You can only use those up to what - 6 months, 9 months at most? I find it hard to believe that she can remember that, but she actually described the swing to me - the color, the fact that it had to be hand cranked. I had even forgotten the color until she described it. Weird.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:02 PM

47,576 posts, read 60,482,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
not much to add except - frankly I don't remember a damn thing from when I was in Kindergarten. How do people remember? Maybe only traumatic events, but at age 5?
I remember a whole lot of non-traumatic events from well before age 5, there wasn't much as far as traumatic events in my childhood. Some are just weird things -- almost just glimpses of events, trivial but they made an impression at the time.

I can't believe people would have no memory of going to preschool if they went. Or family pets they had before age 5.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:11 PM

5,644 posts, read 4,760,087 times
I remember all sorts of things from age 3 onward, all verified by my siblings.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:25 PM

994 posts, read 1,260,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
On the other hand and, if his story is real, why are people spending energy railing upon him for being a phony? Nothing better to do with time?
Pretty much. I'm on winter holiday from college but my babe still has work for another week and my family and closest friends are on the east coast. What better way to kill time than to screw around on the internet?

I guess my first problem with fabricated stories is that they're so unnecessary, even when they do open interesting discussions. Would it have been so hard to write this whole scenario as a hypothetical? Or even just ask what fellow posters thought of the reality of the Lifetime movies (and Bollywood movies, according to Duchamp) that this thread is so similar to?

My second problem is that the people who make up stories to get sympathy and attention online are typically narcissistic personalities. And the last thing people like that need is more attention.

Check this story out, if you have time: The Lying Disease by Cienna Madrid - Seattle Features - The Stranger, Seattle's Only Newspaper

Obviously, that was way more serious. But to me it's all in the same league.

Anyway, if OP is genuine, my advice to him is to take all that money and all these questions he has to an attorney who could better advise him than anybody here can.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:26 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,445,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Not necessarily. There is such thing as retroactive child support. Each state has different rules as to how it'll be done; some states will not give a full 18 years payment amount.

The OP already stated that he is listed on the birth certificate and that he gave the mother a (couple) thousand dollars before disappearing-- acts which will be used against him in the court of law.
Aware, which is why I said "generally speaking", not "specifically speaking". Some states align closely with certain things and not others; some are the same on other things. If you want to dissect each state's laws with respect to each and put a grid together for comparison, go for it. I'd be interested to look at it.

What you did not pay attention to was the previous poster's assertion that the mother could slap the father with a paternity test, which she can't, in any state I'm aware of, because of the "child's" age. I could be mistaken, because I do not have specific knowledge of all 50 state's laws.

The child may be able to get a court to order a paternity test, but in most states he's too old. In addition, the previous poster asserted that the OP had "absconded", which is not the case if no child support order and arrears exist.

Retroactive child support hinges on paternity, which, if not already established, will be very hard to obtain at this point, because of the age of the adult son. Maybe not impossible, as I don't claim knowledge of every state's specific laws pertaining to paternity and child support.

Last edited by 43north87west; 12-13-2013 at 01:43 PM..

Old 12-13-2013, 01:31 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,445,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Truth is so often way stranger than fiction and that's nothing novel. Honestly I don't give a rat's patootie either way and am certainly not going to lose any sleep over it. Glanced at some of Dr Phil's programs?

To me the story sounds pretty legitimate but that's just me. If it's a tale and the author needs to verify portions of the novel he's in the middle of writing then all power to him for seeking opinions and thus the furtherance of his story line. If that's the case he still has to sell the story and, with all due respect, it's a story that has already been told over and over again in novels and in films over many decades and it's highly unlikely he has some new twist to make this tale better than any other.

On the other hand and, if his story is real, why are people spending energy railing upon him for being a phony? Nothing better to do with time?
Google "paid forum poster". They're a mainstay of internet forums that count on hits and ad revenue.

I don't really give a flying .... either way, just making an observation based on the uncanny and unlikely topics that the most junior, junior members somehow manage to post with amazing regularity. Then, once done, they migrate on to another user ID. Some of them are so bad they look written from a template.

That said, I wouldn't mind getting paid to post on the internet, although my lifestyle is rather more expensive than that of someone cranking out forum posts at $2.78/hr from his hovel in Bangladesh.

Last edited by 43north87west; 12-13-2013 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-13-2013, 04:53 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,962,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

I remember all kinds of things from when I was very young too. I remember jumping up and down in my crib, and laying down to pretend at sleeping when I heard Mom's footsteps. Watching her put on makeup in the mirror over my dresser. And my babysitter giving me franks and beans in my highchair. Opening all the Christmas presents when I was 2. Flushing down a goldfish. The Blue Nun bottle that kept the window open in the summer. My young aunt babysitting me (13 years older than me) and going nuts when she ate the green-frosting'd cupcake Mom had told me I could have if I was good. My nursery school teacher - an old, skinny black man who was AWESOME (Fontaine was his name) - whom I actually recognized at the grocery store a few years ago. He was so surprised and remembered me too!

The women in my family tend to develop Alzheimer's in early old age... so maybe we trade late memories for early?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships