U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 11:43 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,262,918 times

Advertisements

I think it is largely just a product of the area you are from. I am from the northeast, and maybe 2% of people I graduated with had a kid within a year of graduating. Even the ones who had kids from 20-22, these tended to be the ones that didn't go to college, have been living in the same town with nothing going on....almost doing it out of boredom. Most seem to settle down in marriage / kids from 28-32. I live in NYC now, and I don't know any one below 32 that has a kid.
Get out and see the world....there's more than just your town. Maybe when all is said and done, you'll find that your home truly is McComb, Ms. And there's nothing wrong with that. But what else life has to offer too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 12:34 PM

11,973 posts, read 16,694,010 times
I graduated from an exurban high school outside of Atlanta in 2006 and sort of know how you feel. While people tended to wait a little longer to have children, most of my high school friends were married either in their senior year of college or within a year of graduating (most of us graduated in 2010). Many people who went to my high school did start having children fairly soon out of high school, though these were not the people in my social circle. I know of a handful who are on second marriages already.

Meanwhile, I live in New England where getting married after 30 is a lot more typical. Young professionals who get married earlier tend to wait several years before having kids - my coworkers who are having children are all in their mid to late 30s on up.

It's part of the reason why I hesitate moving back to the South! I don't want to feel like an old maid at 26.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:39 PM

47,576 posts, read 60,457,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac0900 View Post
I graduated hs in 2009 and I'm just about the only one in my class that isn't engage or with kid yet. Everbody settle down a year or 2 after hs. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this. When I come home from college, I really don't have no one to hang with because ppl are tending to their families.
You probably won't have much in common with your old friends. They'll view you as an oddity also. A lot of people don't associate much with old high school friends because everyone kind of goes his or her own way after they reach adulthood.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Status: "Did I just roll my eyes out loud?" (set 2 days ago)

7,297 posts, read 4,398,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You really don't know that, do you?
I was trying to make the OP feel better

Old 12-13-2013, 12:42 PM

47,576 posts, read 60,457,375 times
Quote:
Most of them don't come home since they moved from our home town and we all attend different colleges.
You might want to connect with some of them anyhow --- especially those who live fairly close. Compare college experiences. They'll be better for you as far as networking.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:16 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,760,818 times
Quote:
I graduated hs in 2009 and I'm just about the only one in my class that isn't engage or with kid yet. Everbody settle down a year or 2 after hs. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this. When I come home from college, I really don't have no one to hang with because ppl are tending to their families.
I'm from a mid-size city and I was one of the last of my HS friends to marry and have kids. I was 34 when I met my husband and 36 when I had my daughter. I hung out with my friends when it was possible and enjoyed meeting their spouses and kids. Otherwise, I made new friends in college and later at work, traveled, paid off debt and in general, had fun.

Enjoy college and study hard. When you come home, hang out with your old friends if it's comfortable and if not, hang with your parents.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:19 PM

23,551 posts, read 33,271,692 times
I went to an urban, lower-income/working class HS in the Washington DC area and a lot of my classmates already are married and have children. It is not just a South thing. Thing is this is more likely in a low-income environment.

I'm 25 and am in a Master's program. I decided to surround myself with career-focused people so I don't have to feel bad about not being in a relationship. I'm childfree so it is important that I set my benchmarks for life so that I don't feel bad for not buying into the family structure.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:53 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,759,338 times
Wow. That is the polar opposite of me and my high school. Social issues and economic issues.

I married 8 years out of high school and am still child-less after 14 years. I only started trying this year.

I would say now about 60-70% of my former classmates now have kids. Excluding the gay folks, even then, not everyone settled down or has kids.

Don't feel bad or shamed or whatever. Go at your own pace.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:30 PM

7,658 posts, read 8,944,540 times
Quote:
Good for you for not being like these classmates. You sound like you actually have some ambition. Keep it up!

Old 12-13-2013, 07:44 PM

6,793 posts, read 11,716,243 times
Quote:
I graduated in HS in 2001 and only got engaged beginning of this year. And no, I have no kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships